PDA

View Full Version : Flaming River Manual Rack slop

heatmup
02-18-2013, 11:04 AM
I installed a Flaming River manual rack last spring that my wife baught me for Christmas. I haven't liked he way it felt from the beginning and just thought it needed some getting used too......Long story short, as I'm starting my annual spring car tweaks, I thought I would take a hard look at the steering. Come to find out the steering shaft has a ton of play in it before the rack even moves. I can get 1/8 to 1/4 turn on the pinion before the rack moves. I called Flaming River and they played dumb of course and reminded me of the 12 month warranty.

Has anyone seen this problem and if so can it be fixed without driving to Cleveland and shoving it into someone's face at Flaming River?

dedpedal
02-19-2013, 01:33 PM
I've had the same issue with mine. I'm to the point where I'm ready to go back to a power steering setup. One thing I noticed is the length of the shaft between the u joints was a lot longer and the whole thing moved a bit when turning. I'm going to try and redo mine and shorten it up some. Let me know what you find and ill pass along any info I get when I work on mine.

heatmup
02-19-2013, 01:48 PM
I have the Maximum Motorsports shagt on mine. The problem I have is the steering wheel/shaft can move/turn quite a bit and the rack just does not engage. I'm thinking this may be working the opposite way on the road, i.e. tires / rack moving freely without steering wheel input. Either way it feels like crap and I don't like it. Just wish there was a way to fix without buying a new one and crossing my fingers that that one won't be effed up.

facemelter71
02-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Info you may want to read.
The info I am talking about is where you can adjust the preload on the rack and take the slop out of it. This setting can get to tight and cause other issues. One way to determine if its to tight is the steering wheel will not have any returnability to it. After making a turn and the wheel doesnt want to spin back straight is a dead giveaway.
http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81594&highlight=adjustment