PDA

View Full Version : Exedy clutch and flywheel

CincySR
02-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Well my clutch is starting to give up the ghost after 117k miles. So I was looking at americanmuscle.com and was debating between Spec and Exedy, the Exedy is a little cheaper than the Spec. I know people like the spec, but anyone have any experiences with the Exedy set up? Btw I'd be ordering Stage 2 Exedy clutch kit and their lightweight billet flywheel.

When I get back from Alaska, I plan on going FI on my stang. I'm only shooting for 500hp for now, in the event I decide to go to the next level, I plan on going auto anyways. So I'm just looking to be good for that setup, not huge horsepower numbers.

redfirepearlgt
02-21-2013, 12:30 PM
I ran the MAch 500 exedy setup with their light weight steel flywheel in the 05. It was freaking awesome. Prior to that I had a McLeod RST twin disk with a Spec Steel FW in the car. Did not care for it. Exedy also makes the disk that Roush Performance sells and puts on their Roush package mustangs as well in the later models.

I'd never go anything but Exedy again. Great package and comes complete. Never used Spec. Can't comment on them. Hope that helps.

Oh, also ran a Dualfriction Centerforce in the 02. It was a good clutch as well. Heavy but did the job.

CincySR
02-21-2013, 01:51 PM
I believe the Mach 500 setup is what I'm going to be ordering. I'm not so much worried about how it will do the job with my bolt-ons right now, but once the turbo/sc kit goes on.

redfirepearlgt
02-21-2013, 02:59 PM
I believe the Mach 500 setup is what I'm going to be ordering. I'm not so much worried about how it will do the job with my bolt-ons right now, but once the turbo/sc kit goes on.

The Mach 500 was handling 507/473 RW numbers with no issues. However that was with street tires. You may look to the 600 series (still a disk as I understand) for your turbo setup if you are going to lay slicks to it and hit it hard off the line. Either way, I had no issues with Exedy and would go with them again.

CincySR
02-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Nah, its going to be on street tires til i decide I want to go bigger.

Gearhead
02-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Prior to that I had a McLeod RST twin disk with a Spec Steel FW in the car. Did not care for it.

Oh, also ran a Dualfriction Centerforce in the 02. It was a good clutch as well. Heavy but did the job.

Chad - any reason why you didn't care for the Mcleod twin disk set up ?? I bought the same set up that will soon be going in my Cobra. Most reviews I've seen have been positive for the McLeod RST/RXT.

Thanks

redfirepearlgt
02-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Release point was too high for my liking. I prefer 1/2 pedal or a little less on release. I chose not to use an adjustable McLeod slave cylinder whic hmay have corrected this. I also chose to go with a Spec Steel Flywheel instead of a McLoed Steel Flywheel which may have also impacted the release position. I also had some noise issiuse when rolling in slow traffic in lower RPM that I did not care for. Likely just a byproduct of a twin disk would be my guess.

The Mach 500 package resolved all of my concerns and repsonded with a clutch feel more to my liking. It did have a heavier pedal than stoc kand way heavier than the RST (yes the RST does feel lighter than stock in many cases and testimonies).

With a cable style clutch your experience may be completely different so please don't let this scare you. Speak to PKfire who actually has my old McLeod in his SVT Cobra. They use the same RST Twin Disk from McLoed as the 05-09 mustang GT. He can give you a lot of insight on it from a cable clutch point of view.

To the good...The pedal is way light. WOW! That was the one great thing about it and the clutch was rated to 800+ ftlb torque if i recall correctly. Hope that this helps.

Chad

Gearhead
02-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Release point was too high for my liking. I prefer 1/2 pedal or a little less on release. I chose not to use an adjustable McLeod slave cylinder whic hmay have corrected this. I also chose to go with a Spec Steel Flywheel instead of a McLoed Steel Flywheel which may have also impacted the release position. I also had some noise issiuse when rolling in slow traffic in lower RPM that I did not care for. Likely just a byproduct of a twin disk would be my guess.

The Mach 500 package resolved all of my concerns and repsonded with a clutch feel more to my liking. It did have a heavier pedal than stoc kand way heavier than the RST (yes the RST does feel lighter than stock in many cases and testimonies).

With a cable style clutch your experience may be completely different so please don't let this scare you. Speak to PKfire who actually has my old McLeod in his SVT Cobra. They use the same RST Twin Disk from McLoed as the 05-09 mustang GT. He can give you a lot of insight on it from a cable clutch point of view.

To the good...The pedal is way light. WOW! That was the one great thing about it and the clutch was rated to 800+ ftlb torque if i recall correctly. Hope that this helps.

Chad

Good info...thanks !! Looking forward to the lighter pedal, current SPEC stg 3 is ridiculously heavy, chatters, and generally annoying.

Sorry about sidetracking the thread....

Adam@S&MMotorsports
02-21-2013, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't rule out ACT. I use them as often as possible and don't have any complaints.

Black Horse
02-21-2013, 11:25 PM
I wouldn't rule out ACT. I use them as often as possible and don't have any complaints.

ACT rocks! One of the better engineered clutch assemblies out there.

CincySR
02-22-2013, 01:18 PM
I have an ACT in my zx2, and liked it very much. But I haven't seen any advertised for the mustang. And I'm buying thru American Muscle cause I'm getting my tuner through them as well.

maverick
02-22-2013, 01:22 PM
I am using a ACT light weight flywheel paired with a Mcleod super street pro clutch on a 2006 mustang GT with a hydraulic set up and I love it!

Adam@S&MMotorsports
02-22-2013, 07:31 PM
I have an ACT in my zx2, and liked it very much. But I haven't seen any advertised for the mustang. And I'm buying thru American Muscle cause I'm getting my tuner through them as well.

Let me know if you would like to save some money on parts and get a better tune. :bigthumb