PDA

View Full Version : REPAINT Q???

redfirepearlgt
02-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Found an 04 Cobra I am interested in. It is Screamin Yellow in color. The first owner had black stripes custom painted on it. Seond owner has kept it garaged as did the first.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to have these removed and the color paint matched back to Screamin Yellow factory original? Car has 15K on it. Stripes are full length of the car and the bumpers. Grill as well paint matched black.

Price to do it right that includes warranty against clear coat popping, paint lift, etc., not just some macho or Earl Scheib job. Thanks.

redfirepearlgt
02-22-2013, 12:11 PM
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj528/redfirepearlgt/SYcobra2.jpg
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj528/redfirepearlgt/SYcobra.jpg

here are front and rear photos for reference. sorry about pic size.

Stangman
02-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Nice car.... ugly stripes! I agree Chad.... get rid of em!

9cobra4
02-22-2013, 12:38 PM
They ruined a SY car! :( honestly, that's going to cost a pretty penny to be done. Especially since it's a coupe. I would guess around 3-4k for the hood, roof, trunk, and both bumpers with guaranteed work, we do insurance work, not much custom stuff, but that's my halfway educated guess. That's also my favorite color 03-04 Cobra.

redfirepearlgt
02-22-2013, 01:15 PM
They ruined a SY car! :( honestly, that's going to cost a pretty penny to be done. Especially since it's a coupe. I would guess around 3-4k for the hood, roof, trunk, and both bumpers with guaranteed work, we do insurance work, not much custom stuff, but that's my halfway educated guess. That's also my favorite color 03-04 Cobra.

That's what I was thinking to return to factory color. This car is spotless under the hood and a factory verifiable virgin which makes all the more painful. Never seen even a CAI upgrade and a 2 owner to boot. In fairness it was the original owner that did it, not the current.

always a hangup trying to find one of these to my liking. Too far, overly modded, high miles, stupid upgrades, body beat to death, wrong color, already sold, over priced, false claims on originality, etc.

BuckeyeAlex
02-22-2013, 01:25 PM
It may not be that much. I would say they were just painted over the factory paint then cleared over, so they could probably be wet sanded off then recleared. Depending on how well the job was done, there may be no need for any yellow paint to be sprayed. That would be a best case scenario though.

redfirepearlgt
02-22-2013, 01:52 PM
It may not be that much. I would say they were just painted over the factory paint then cleared over, so they could probably be wet sanded off then recleared. Depending on how well the job was done, there may be no need for any yellow paint to be sprayed. That would be a best case scenario though.

Not even worth making an offer on IMO. I'd insult the guy with what I would pay for that car, knowing I would have to drive it to a body shop and be seen doing so. Sad, sad, sad.

BuckeyeAlex
02-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Understandable. If you're going to spend the money on one, might as well get one that you're happy with right away rather than buying one and spending more money to make it what you want.

5.0calypso93lx
02-22-2013, 02:40 PM
I'd move on. What a waste.

Kevin1989
02-22-2013, 04:36 PM
my favorite color mustang, and they fubared it with that shit... if the price is right I would still buy it... I could learn to love it I think

WCKDGT
02-22-2013, 05:10 PM
i never liked racing stripes. even on my shelby, sometimes i like them sometimes i dont. i pulling mine off this spring. that car definetly doesnt need stripes, they ruined it in my opinion

redfirepearlgt
02-22-2013, 05:29 PM
i never liked racing stripes. even on my shelby, sometimes i like them sometimes i dont. i pulling mine off this spring. that car definetly doesnt need stripes, they ruined it in my opinion

Agreed. Tastefully done and on a body with the right lines (like the S197 or 60's body styles) I like them in the right color patterns and in the right width. The edge body in my opinion looks best without stripes.

I spent months determining whether to stripe redfire, what color, width, bumpers or none, etc. Many more liked than opposed with the redfire/carbon gray match. If I had kept it I would have had them painted on in sterling gray (2011 color) and an inch wider. IMO your Shelby would look great in a darker gray metallic color or deleted altogether as you are comtemplating.

Goober
02-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Low miles, virgin car, desirable color, I'd save it if the price is right. Use the horrid stripes to your advantage.

WCKDGT
02-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Agreed. Tastefully done and on a body with the right lines (like the S197 or 60's body styles) I like them in the right color patterns and in the right width. The edge body in my opinion looks best without stripes.

I spent months determining whether to stripe redfire, what color, width, bumpers or none, etc. Many more liked than opposed with the redfire/carbon gray match. If I had kept it I would have had them painted on in sterling gray (2011 color) and an inch wider. IMO your Shelby would look great in a darker gray metallic color or deleted altogether as you are comtemplating.

agreed, right now the plan is pull the stripes off and since the scoop is painted silver w a black vinyl stripe, im just gonna paint it flat black and roll that way for awhile and decide from there

Yellow98Cobra
02-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Low miles, virgin car, desirable color, I'd save it if the price is right. Use the horrid stripes to your advantage.

I agree. Get some quotes to get them removed. or see if plated could do something with them to make them look better.

redfirepearlgt
02-23-2013, 11:47 AM

If I knew the car could be recovered for a reasonable price I would go look at it. I was hoping Chris (Plated) would chime in, but he must be busy. The prep work disassembly, blending and everything else would have to run well into the thousands of dollars. A risk I would only take IF I "stole" the car. THe man is asking a very proud price of 25.5K. In its condition it is worth 15 to me tops. I would not insult him with this offer. So best to walk away than insult a man's taste is my opinion.

SN95N/A
02-23-2013, 11:49 AM
I wouldnt give 25k for it if it didnt have the stripes.

04 Venom
02-23-2013, 12:26 PM

Agree. How many nice Terminators are out there with 15K miles?

Goober
02-23-2013, 01:00 PM
If I knew the car could be recovered for a reasonable price I would go look at it. I was hoping Chris (Plated) would chime in, but he must be busy. The prep work disassembly, blending and everything else would have to run well into the thousands of dollars. A risk I would only take IF I "stole" the car. THe man is asking a very proud price of 25.5K. In its condition it is worth 15 to me tops. I would not insult him with this offer. So best to walk away than insult a man's taste is my opinion.

It can be done reasonably, don't sweat it too much.

redfirepearlgt
02-23-2013, 06:44 PM
It can be done reasonably, don't sweat it too much.

Not worth the hassle boss. Any-hoo thought I had a deal hammered out on selling my 2013 and it fell through. No big deal. I appreacite the effort a good friend put in to trying to help out. :bigthumb