PDA

View Full Version : Any Camera Guru's on here?

chris91
03-03-2013, 01:21 AM
Just picked up my first DSLR camera. Was wondering where is a good place to start learning the ins and outs of them.

DeckerEnt
03-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Kelly is the local photo God here....Look her up.

DeckerEnt
03-03-2013, 01:51 AM
Kelly Pelrine on here...

chris91
03-03-2013, 01:58 AM
Cool thanks for the info Keith!

DeckerEnt
03-03-2013, 02:06 AM
No problem guy. Just helping out the locals. She is the best!!!!!

chris91
03-03-2013, 04:57 AM
She hasnt been on the site since 2010. I sent her a message though so we'll see.

mustang8998
03-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Blackhorse is a very good photographer and there are several others here that do good work, too.

chris91
03-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Hopefully theyll chime in. I messed around with it for a hour or so last night and it takes some great pics on Auto. Im sure with a little know how and custom settings that theyd turn out amazing though.

Pops Fun
03-03-2013, 12:15 PM
My advice, look up and take a course.. It will help you train your eye as well as learn the camera.

Use of flash, subject, contrast, how to use shutter speed etc.

I am or was a professional.... movies, video, stills. My .02 cents

chris91
03-03-2013, 12:25 PM
That's what I was thinking about doing. Any idea where I could go?

ewalt
03-03-2013, 12:56 PM
You can check out lynda.com for courses on photography and well as editing. It does have a monthly fee. You pay that and get access to all their courses they have. Photography, post, design.... all sorts of stuff.

If you don't have a basic understanding of how the manual controls work (shutter speed, aperture, iso, etc) then I recommend lynda.com's basic photo courses. Get those basic concepts down first if you don't already fully understand them.

This place is also cool, the link below. Although most of their courses are quite costly. At least some (maybe all?) of them allow you to watch them for free but only if you watch them live. They are really good though.

http://www.creativelive.com/photography

chris91
03-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Awesome!!! Thanks for the info!!

Black Horse
03-04-2013, 12:20 AM
The best teacher of all is PRACTICE! Shoot everything and anything. When you don't like the results, do the research to figure out how to get what you want. "See" the photo in your mind before you pull the trigger. Everyone has their own style!

What are you looking at photographing? Oh - and a word of warning, photography can be as addicting as Mustangs. You are always on the lookout for upgrades and go fast parts......teach yourself how to drive before you spend too much money! The level of camera DOES NOT make your photos better - you do!

Good luck, and feel free to ask questions!

cobraman302
03-04-2013, 05:38 PM
I would agree with everything that Dave said. I used to be into photography and loved going to race tracks to try and capture that "moment" in one picture. Also liked doing stuff in low light, anything action oriented, or lightning storms. I havent done it much lately due to lack of time...but I can add one thing to what Dave said. A couple high quality lenses will make a world of difference in your photos. yes, your eye is what catches the right moment, and the right setting, and the mood..but without a proper lens (again depends on the type of photo you want to go for), you just wont be blown away. Photoshop can be your friend there, but I am not a fan of digital enhancement.

Did you get a Nikon, Canon, Sony? That would determine which route I went with lenses.

chris91
03-04-2013, 06:17 PM
The best teacher of all is PRACTICE! Shoot everything and anything. When you don't like the results, do the research to figure out how to get what you want. "See" the photo in your mind before you pull the trigger. Everyone has their own style!

What are you looking at photographing? Oh - and a word of warning, photography can be as addicting as Mustangs. You are always on the lookout for upgrades and go fast parts......teach yourself how to drive before you spend too much money! The level of camera DOES NOT make your photos better - you do!

Good luck, and feel free to ask questions!

I've been taking all kinds of pics. Wife was just laughing at me. I told her I was practicing so I could take great pics of her. :D

My kids, our dogs, and my car. And thats exactly why I didnt go out and buy a brand new expensive camera. I went with a cheaper used one that got really good ratings over on cameralabs.com. Figured its going to take a while before I get to where I can really put to use a high dollar unit.

I would agree with everything that Dave said. I used to be into photography and loved going to race tracks to try and capture that "moment" in one picture. Also liked doing stuff in low light, anything action oriented, or lightning storms. I havent done it much lately due to lack of time...but I can add one thing to what Dave said. A couple high quality lenses will make a world of difference in your photos. yes, your eye is what catches the right moment, and the right setting, and the mood..but without a proper lens (again depends on the type of photo you want to go for), you just wont be blown away. Photoshop can be your friend there, but I am not a fan of digital enhancement.

Did you get a Nikon, Canon, Sony? That would determine which route I went with lenses.

None of the above. I bought a Olympus Evolt E-510. I picked it up real cheap after reading a bunch of reviews on it. If I decide to keep at it I may pick up a higher end camera but Ill see how this goes first. Didnt really want to dive in with a high dollar camera and then turns out I cant take a pic to save my life. lol

Black Horse
03-04-2013, 11:21 PM
The hardest habit to break initially it taking the thing off of Automatic.....but do it! Try shooting in shutter priority mode, then aperture priority to see the response to your adjustments. There are a bunch of hints and tricks that I could spend hours talking to you about, and I'm learning more each day! Just get comfortable with it and try to start understanding what different settings do for you. Feel free to ask questions!

The most critical part of any camera (other than the nut holding it) is the lenses. Once you get to the point you want to expand, save your money and buy the best glass you can afford. The payoff is hugh!

chris91
03-04-2013, 11:49 PM
What brand lenses should I buy and are there a brand I should avoid? Just browsing around and prices were all over the place.

Black Horse
03-05-2013, 08:57 AM
I am currently shooting Nikon. I personnally think the Nikon glass is the best out there. The Canon glass my friends shoot with is good stuff too. I also have had good success with the Sigma brand, lower cost than the Nikon glass with very good results.

There are also companies that will rent you lenses (try before you buy) or better yet hit up a fellow photog, I'm sure they will let you borrow a lense from time to time.

I am not familiar with the Olympus line, I'm sure there are adapters to put one brand of lens on another brand.

What lens(es) do you currently have?