PDA

View Full Version : 2000 silverado front differential help

06V6Andrew
03-12-2013, 10:02 PM
I don't know if anyone knows anything on them or not but i need to try.

200 silverado 1500 4x4 accutrac or all trac...something like that push button 4x4 with the auto 4x4 button. Driving down the road front differential makes an awkward noise. like a clicking sound. you could fel the truck bog down a bit like it was in 4hi. selector switch reads 2hi so i park it and look underneath..nothing visually wrong. i drive it over to my local napa store where tony (1987coupe) works and we jack it up check everything we could and couldn't find anything wrong. The noise has stopped by this time so we figured it that it would be ok to drive it to his home which is 30 or so miles away to further exam it. While driving the truck you could smell a clutch burning, but i didn't worry about it since the truck is an automatic. once i parked it at his home all you could here is the sound of something boiling...like a radiator boiling over when and engine gets hot. engine was good transmission was good coolant looked good....the sound and smell were coming from the transfer case. it got so hot on the way to his house that is actually burnt tony about as bad has an exhaust manifold would. We lift the truck cycle through every 4x4 mode there is and it seems to work fine. Try to turn the driveshaft and it didn't move an inch (i have come to find out that this is the norm when it comes to this particular 4x4 setup). We removed the front driveshaft and try to turn the front differential...nope not moving either. amazing though the truck drives down the road just fine with the front driveshaft out and the problem is not happening now.

i need to fix my 4x4 in this truck and maybe someone could shed some light on the front differential of this truck. i really can't afford to take it apart and try to figure it out myself since this is my only transportation at the moment.

admins if this is in the wrong section please move it.:bigthumb

thanks in advance with any help.

jktruckin06
03-12-2013, 10:17 PM
So when you take the front driveshaft out the noise goes away?

1987coupe
03-12-2013, 10:44 PM
yep noise is gone with front driveshaft out but i couldn't get the pinion to turn any even with a large pry bar. no noise when the front cv shafts are turning but the pinion still wont turn with the cv shafts turning. my guess would be seized pinion bearings but i don't know for sure. like he said its his only transportation so we cant pull the front diff to check at least until he gets his stang done (hint-hint Andrew)

06V6Andrew
03-12-2013, 10:54 PM
speaking of stang tony..i need you to come check out cam installation to make sure it is in correctly. i am almost 100% sure, but i don't want any doubt before i put it back together

jktruckin06
03-13-2013, 05:00 AM
Yeah sounds like you guys have the problem isolated down to the diff.

Nothing like motivation to get your mustang done.

06V6Andrew
03-13-2013, 05:44 PM
yup its definitely the diff...just trying to see if anyone else knows anymore anout these diffs. i have thought that if the center section is not moving then neither should the wheels.

MFIELD
03-13-2013, 09:54 PM
yup its definitely the diff...just trying to see if anyone else knows anymore anout these diffs. i have thought that if the center section is not moving then neither should the wheels.

Not on the front of those. The wheels turn free unless the switch is in 4wd. It sounds like the unit is bad. I would start looking for a used replacement. If it got as hot as you say I would be worried about the internals and the case even since its aluminum. There not to bad to change.