PDA

View Full Version : Night Sight recommendation

jeep45238
03-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Did some shopping today, and one of the things I snagged up was a set of night sights for my Glock 23.

I typically hate night sights, especially if the rear sight isn't black. However, due to past experiences, I was on the hunt for a set of Ameriglow Hackathorns. I wasn't in luck - I found something even better though.

Trijicon HD Night sights are AWESOME. They offer a much clearer sight picture than traditional night sights, and have subdued rear tritium tubes. The front sight has a much larger tube, and and runs a large colored ring around the tube. Mine is orange, though yellow is available. The color is also a luminecint, and it pops in bright light.

That said, due to the front sight design, it pops in all light conditions - precisely what I was after for a carry pistol.

The rear sight is a large and deep U shaped notch, which makes front sight acquisition extremely fast and easy.

Not only did I get faster target acquisition over the stock sights, but groups were smaller, and follow ups were faster.

I would highly recommend them. Snagged them from Kyle's over in Finnytown for $140.

Better pictures than what I can get:
http://pistol-training.com/archives/4321

I don't quite buy the whole 'sights cutting time off hammer drills' part, but it does make the initial acquisition quicker. Additionally, I probably got such an improvement because it's been about 9 months since I've been able to really tickle a trigger.

Adam@S&MMotorsports
03-14-2013, 07:40 PM
That picture doesn't do them justice. I picked up a set for a G17L that I am building as a limited race gun. They are nice!

jeep45238
03-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised you're running those on a limited gun. Is it dedicated or a dual purpose?

Adam@S&MMotorsports
03-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised you're running those on a limited gun. Is it dedicated or a dual purpose?

Dedicated. It's about the brightest open sight I could find and super easy to acquire the front. I can't stand tru glows.

jeep45238
03-14-2013, 09:15 PM
It's quite unusual to see anything besides a plain black rear sight on a competition gun, that's all.

What other goodies do you have rocking in that? I'm looking forward to turning my 34 into a limited, hoping to get into 3 gun this year/next.

Adam@S&MMotorsports
03-14-2013, 09:39 PM
They don't bother me. I love the front though! It currently a Ghost rocket trigger but it will eventually get swapped for a Zev tech. Dawson precision Ice heavy mag well and a heavy plug should be here in the morning. Tungsten guide rod should be here next week. It would be nice if I could find ammo so I could go run the damn thing. I almost bought a 34, they are nice. Gen 3 or 4? What are your plans for it?

jeep45238
03-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Gen 4. By year's end I'd like to have some lightening cuts down the side of the slide, a fitted KKM barrel, Zev Tech Fulcrum rig, a Jager stiker, Dawson ICE heavy magwell/plug, Zev checkered mag release, Dawson .100 wide plain front, Dawson adjustable rear.

I'll double undercut the trigger guard, stipple the frame, remove the lower finger groove (possibly upper as well), and have the slide and barrel both finished via Melonite process.

Should be a great shooter, I just don't know if I'm going to try to run a Grip Force setup yet or not.

jeep45238
03-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Upon further thought and time on the range, I'm going to run these HD's on everything.

I've got them on my 23, 34, and my Advantage Arms .22 kit now.

Adam@S&MMotorsports
03-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Upon further thought and time on the range, I'm going to run these HD's on everything.

I've got them on my 23, 34, and my Advantage Arms .22 kit now.

:lol: Fast aren't they!:lol:

jeep45238
03-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Very. It's not too bright in full light, and can still find it in the dim light (unlike fiber optics). It always provides some sort of contrast to the target no matter what color the target is. It's machined metal, and still allows for some great accuracy using the top of the sight blade.

I'm normally not a night sight guy at all - and if I am it's front sight only. I think I can get used to these.

Timido
03-20-2013, 10:11 PM
Adam where are you shooting limited? Run and Gun or Steel Challenge?

Adam@S&MMotorsports
03-21-2013, 11:33 PM
Adam where are you shooting limited? Run and Gun or Steel Challenge?

Tim with my schedule I probably won't be. Most likely I will just go screw off with some buddies:lol:

Timido
03-22-2013, 09:27 PM
www.fridaynightsteel.com $5 to shoot a card. members and non members. bring 100 rounds and 6 magazines. its a great time

Adam@S&MMotorsports
03-22-2013, 10:07 PM
www.fridaynightsteel.com $5 to shoot a card. members and non members. bring 100 rounds and 6 magazines. its a great time

It looks like it. I may have to do that

MWoods26
03-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Friday night steel is a really good time. I went a few times years ago with my cousin who is pretty damn good. I shot in it once but was embarrasingly slow. still fun though even though the only 2 people I was faster than in production auto were women. :lol: