Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
painting an prep [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : painting an prep

dr59l
03-27-2013, 12:58 AM
Any tips on best primers an such to use during a repaint? I'm gonna sand it down an don't want new paint to fall off again lol

Stangman
03-27-2013, 07:46 AM
Make sure you have sanded and scuffed every nook and cranny of what you're going to paint. Then make sure your surface is clean and dust free w/ wax/grease remover or DX330 (I think that's what it is) and a a tack cloth after the wipedown. Use a decent sealer primer over your body work, then cover with your filler primer. Block it down and you should be good to go. Then your base and clear.

chrisb1961
03-27-2013, 08:06 AM
make sure the area where youre going to spray it is clean as well. i usually wet the floor down if i can

700hp04mystic
03-27-2013, 08:25 AM
id sand it real good and use a 2k urethane primer, it fills good and sands easy. its a little high but it does a good job. if your going to prime the whole car first like stated above sand and clean every crack, and id use 220 grit paper wet sand the whole car then a couple good coats of that primer then 400 grit and ready for paint.

331lx
03-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Good info here as I'm gonna try my hand in paint on my coupe

chrisb1961
03-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Just remember the paint will only turn out as good as your prep work! Thats the most important part

slow86fiveoh
03-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Like stated sand every nook and cranny twice just to be sure u got it all and clean, clean, clean make sure every part of the car is clean it's hard to beleive where dust will try to hide and then u have to start over, make sure where u are painting is as clean as the car dust and dirt will be disturbed when the air starts flowing, keep the hose behind u the last thing u want is to drag the air hose through wet paint

dr59l
03-27-2013, 10:54 AM
id sand it real good and use a 2k urethane primer, it fills good and sands easy. its a little high but it does a good job. if your going to prime the whole car first like stated above sand and clean every crack, and id use 220 grit paper wet sand the whole car then a couple good coats of that primer then 400 grit and ready for paint.

U gonna help tear it apart Steve? LOL all that junk paint is coming off I want it to look good an stay that way.

700hp04mystic
03-27-2013, 04:56 PM
yea I can help ya tear it down. no problem

91boost
03-27-2013, 09:20 PM
I highly recommend a good epoxy primer over everything it protects the bare metal. Then come back and shoot a few coats of urethane primer and you should be good to go. Most urethane primers do no protect bare metal. Any questions on any thing pm me I will be more than happy to answer any ???