PDA

View Full Version : Next RWD fun car - opinions?

jeep45238
04-27-2013, 04:49 PM
I'm not going to buy any time soon, but I'm starting to plan out my next vehicle purchase and sell my '03 Mustang GT. It's fun, but it's also got it's annoyances, plus will be coming up on 150K given 2 years or so. Plus, I just want something else come that time frame :D

I'm basically stuck between a '13+ Mustang GT with the track pack, and a 5th gen Camaro with the 1LE. Other possibilities are used Shelbies and used ZL1's if they happen to fit the budget, but I doubt they will.

Chevy pros:
6.2L engine
One cam - less parts to buy for mods
Robust 6 speed manual w/ oil cooler
IRS
Tons of space in the engine bay

Ford pros:
Higher RPM's
Lighter
Cheaper
Less blind spots
Slightly more thought out interior
SRA more tolerant of abuse

Chevy cons:
More expensive
Heavier
Interior/cabin seems to isolate from the outside world

Ford cons:
Engine needs to sing more than the LS3
4 cams
Transmission problems hit/miss
Less comforting ride on crappy streets
Long term durability hit/miss, '13+ seem better than '12 and previous

I don't plan on going forced induction any time soon, but long tube headers, a full exhaust, better shifter, and quite possibly cams are in the future for either vehicle. I'm not necessarily brand loyal, but I still remember the auto bail outs, and that still stings a bit.

So, what says my fellow gear heads, minus brand loyalty?

chris91
04-27-2013, 05:07 PM
You're on a mustang website asking us if you should buy a Ford it Chevy...... I think you know the answer here....

jeep45238
04-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Take a step back and look at it from a dollar/value/fun factory then ;-)

Kevin1989
04-28-2013, 04:18 AM
Well the new mustangs will eliminate the need to buy cams... So cheaper still and they are faster....

redfirepearlgt
04-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Ran 12.77 in a totally stock manual shift 2013 GT premium.

I looked at Camaros for reasons I will not go into. I coulsn't get past the hideous interior. Seats look like DRIOD from Starwars, and I have no idea what the ergonomics engineer was thinking when he/she conceived that center console. Knobs with plus signs on them? And that dash has a lot to desire as well. Then under the hood. Half the engine is under the dash. A real treat to work on.

Look into a GT500 or SVT Terminator if you are going to build the car. Of for that matter pick up a nice clean 05-09 manual shift and build it. Nothing more fun the busting the chops off a mew camaro owner with a TVS FI setup that can easily make 450 at the real wheels. Oh and cams do sound awesome in the 3 valve. So plenty of options incuding going new.

If non Ford look at hte Challenger. A sled but a nice looking car, though I would not peronsally own one.

sean
04-28-2013, 11:17 AM
I Usually Don't Comment On The Ideas For Purchase But Your Not Going To Purchase ANy Time Soon. just seems stupid to comment on something you maY by in a year or two. But Any Time I Can Type The Word Corvette Or C6 On Here I Find It Amusing. So Forget The Heavy Camaro AnD Go C6.

jeep45238
04-28-2013, 01:31 PM
The more time I have to research and get opinions from owners, and why people would choose one over the other, the more educated I can get about my next purchase when the time comes.

I honestly hate the Challenger, and I love Corvettes, but they are just borderline impractical for me.

redfirepearlgt
04-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Guess I was more than half asleep when I read the post. Crap AMC could be back in business come 2 years from now, the Mustang could be a four door hybrid, and Corvettes may gone the way of the dodo bird by then.

Heard of preparation and planning but talking this far in advance about a future purchase is like deciding to by a PC six months from now. I think I will take my almost middle aged butt back to the couch and take another nap on this rainy day.

Good luck kid, and thanks again for serving your country. Your veterans and your countrypeople thank you.

sean
04-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Corvettes Are completely impractical. But Fun. Lol

jeep45238
04-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Redfire, I'm not going to be buying new, so it really doesn't matter what AMC, Mustangs, and Corvettes do in 2 years. I'll probably be buying one of today's 'new' cars then.

redfirepearlgt
04-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Redfire, I'm not going to be buying new, so it really doesn't matter what AMC, Mustangs, and Corvettes do in 2 years. I'll probably be buying one of today's 'new' cars then.

Gotcha. Then def a 07-09 GT500 low mileage car. Hands down. You are way too young to have need for a Corvette. You still have lead in your pencil and lots of confidence in your stride. Save the corvette fetish for when you get to be Sean's age. LOL!

9cobra4
04-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Lol I used to think the same way you do, Chad. It's just not the case anymore though, it seems I see more younger guys (younger than 45-50) driving Corvettes than older guys. That could be just the forums I'm on, or places I hang out. Two guys I know have bought C6's in the past 2-3 weeks and they're both under 30. I don't think it's the gold chain wearing, hairy chested button-up shirt with the last 4 buttons unbuttoned guys driving them anymore, or maybe just less than used to.

redfirepearlgt
04-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Lol I used to think the same way you do, Chad. It's just not the case anymore though, it seems I see more younger guys (younger than 45-50) driving Corvettes than older guys. That could be just the forums I'm on, or places I hang out. Two guys I know have bought C6's in the past 2-3 weeks and they're both under 30. I don't think it's the gold chain wearing, hairy chested button-up shirt with the last 4 buttons unbuttoned guys driving them anymore, or maybe just less than used to.

I'm just funnin with my buddy Sean...for the most part. But you are right. The midlife crisis guys are going to Mercedes and BMW and Posrche these days.

sean
04-28-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm just funnin with my buddy Sean...for the most part. But you are right. The midlife crisis guys are going to Mercedes and BMW and Posrche these days.

I did the porsche thing a while back. ALSO if im not mistaken your older than me. lol

2Kblacksleeper
04-28-2013, 11:31 PM
That's just a technicality right now Sean.

Besides Chad probably forgot his meds..... Lol

Ahh shit talking close to midnight, summers are just not here yet. Can't wait till they are and hopefully we can talk crap face to face instead of over a pc.

John

redfirepearlgt
04-29-2013, 12:08 AM
I did the porsche thing a while back. ALSO if im not mistaken your older than me. lol

"Car"-ologically (not chronologically) you are years ahead of me...LOL!

redfirepearlgt
04-29-2013, 12:11 AM
That's just a technicality right now Sean.

Besides Chad probably forgot his meds..... Lol

Ahh shit talking close to midnight, summers are just not here yet. Can't wait till they are and hopefully we can talk crap face to face instead of over a pc.

John

Doc said no more drugs until after they cut on me. Looking forward to seom warm summer nights ahead! Been a long time gettin here. Always fun to joke with friends and hang out.

2Kblacksleeper
04-29-2013, 03:23 AM
Yes sir it is. Good luck with the surgery.

John