PDA

View Full Version : Can companies use images of you car without permission?

USMCPONY
05-10-2013, 05:44 PM
I was bored today and I've been tossing around the idea of selling my car and getting a Z06 or keeping it and building it up. So I google images of Z06's. After I was done I googled Eleanor Mustangs, Cervini mustangs etc. I found a couple pictures of my car that I took years ago in my dad's drive way. I clicked on it and noticed a speed shop posted some of my pictures on their website. Then I find another one Where another speed shop is using the same pictures among others i guess they found off the internet advertising Kenne Bell superchargers. It's not that big of a deal but I thought they had to ask for permission first? Especially if they're using these pictures for advertisement to make money off it and since they have nothing to do with any part of building my car nor have I ever been a customer. Just kind of curious that's all.

Kevin1989
05-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Fuck it send them a bill

Gene
05-10-2013, 09:47 PM
If you really want to fight it, the first question is where did you post it in the first place? If you read the Terms of Service for most major websites (Facebook, Flickr, Tumblr, etc), you pretty much lose any real legal rights to the photos.

If you posted them on your own hosting, then you can realistically claim copyright, but unless you can prove real damages then about all you're going to get is an apology and a takedown.

You do mention that it was a photo advertising Kenne Bell superchargers...was it used in an ad from Kenne Bell? If so, then it's pretty much open season for anyone who's reselling Kenne Bell blowers to use.

My advice: Consider it a huge compliment that your car is impressive enough that someone wants to showcase it on their website. Maybe contact them and they'll send you a free t-shirt or something.

USMCPONY
05-10-2013, 10:19 PM
I found it on two different sites selling car parts for mustang. They either got the pictures off here or two other forums. I'm not to worried about it. I just thought it was illegal to advertise someone else's car with out permission. If it helps them feed their kids at night then more power to them.

Gene
05-10-2013, 10:37 PM
I found it on two different sites selling car parts for mustang. They either got the pictures off here or two other forums. I'm not to worried about it. I just thought it was illegal to advertise someone else's car with out permission. If it helps them feed their kids at night then more power to them.

Nope. No such thing as an Implied Copyright.

If anything, it's just the opposite...when you post something on a public message board it is essentially an implied license for others to to use the text or image. Nothing to prevent someone else from using it for commercial purposes.

04 Venom
05-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Nope. No such thing as an Implied Copyright.

If anything, it's just the opposite...when you post something on a public message board it is essentially an implied license for others to to use the text or image. Nothing to prevent someone else from using it for commercial purposes.

Agree.....

redfirepearlgt
05-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Anything you post on the internet can be used and is seen as public. People think because they havea blog site or facebook page that it is private. Wrong. The only private "diary" is that which has a key lock on it and stays locked in your safe. You can do things to limit access like using the unlisted or private settings on Youtube or photonucket, but once that hyperlink has been copied and carried to another site and someone looks at the photo and saves it they have a hard copy to so with as they feel.

Watermarking may also bea deterent but can be resolved through a phto editing process as well.

In the end if you want it private don't post it. THis is why I do not have a Facebook account.