PDA

View Full Version : 3.7 Check in.... Who else has one ?

Katmandu
06-17-2013, 09:21 AM
3.7 Check in.... Who else has one ?

MWoods26
06-17-2013, 10:01 AM
3.7 Check in.... Who else has one ?

I don't think we have very many female members on the board.

SN95N/A
06-17-2013, 11:17 AM
I got one:bigthumb

redfirepearlgt
06-17-2013, 11:24 AM
88 Stang (maybe its stang88) had one and trade it on a 13 GT. HE did some mods to it. He isn't on here much at all any more since he now lives in Florida but said the bolt ons woke it up. IT was an 11 or 12 model. HE did exhaust, tune, CAI, and some susension work. Don't know who or what the results were.

Gene
06-17-2013, 11:27 AM

:lol:

It's still a 300hp car...even if it only has a 6 cylinder.

cstreu1026
06-17-2013, 11:58 AM
My car came with a V8 but only 225HP so I won't knock a new V6. I've thought about a V6 stang for a daily driver though.

SN95N/A
06-17-2013, 12:01 PM
There fun cars for sure!

MWoods26
06-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Just my opinion of course but its one I've always felt strong about. They shouldn't even make V6 Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, you know SPORTS CARS. these are ment to be fast. I will never have an ounce of respect for a v6 if the v8 was offered in that same car. I also think buying a v6 and then modding it is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. What are you trying to achive? the power level of a stock v8 that you should have bought in the first place? I kept on waiting for somebody in this thead to say something about gas mileage. I know it's coming.. simply put if you care about gas mileage go buy something other than a SPORTS CAR.

SN95N/A
06-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Not everyone can afford a badass car like yours.

MWoods26
06-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Not everyone can afford a badass car like yours.

How's price an issue when a v8 made a decade and a half ago makes more power and cost a third of what a new v6 mustang does?

SN95N/A
06-17-2013, 12:35 PM
I was messin with you get your panties out of a knot,I own two v8 cars and the ole lady has a v6

MWoods26
06-17-2013, 12:42 PM
I was messin with you get your panties out of a knot,I own two v8 cars and the ole lady has a v6

Even my "ole lady" wants nothing to do with a v6. She's a keeper. Lol

SN95N/A
06-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Haha funny

cstreu1026
06-17-2013, 01:14 PM
If it weren't for all those 4 cylinder and V6 Mustangs and Camaros the V8 versions we enjoy today would probably never have existed because the accountants would have killed them off a long long time ago.

4n_eatr
06-17-2013, 06:41 PM

Hahahaha!

Seriously though I had a '12 grabber blue convertible for a rental car, an I was surprised at how quick it was. Still didn't have that charisma and feel of a V-8 that I need when I'm driving a Mustang. I think the only other Mustang I'd own, other than a V-8, is an SVO. Those are sexy...

redfirepearlgt
06-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Hahahaha!

Seriously though I had a '12 grabber blue convertible for a rental car, an I was surprised at how quick it was. Still didn't have that charisma and feel of a V-8 that I need when I'm driving a Mustang. I think the only other Mustang I'd own, other than a V-8, is an SVO. Those are sexy...

That SVO was an absolute exception to the rule. It was a wicked wicked car for its day when it came out in 1984. Had adjustable Koni strut suspension on it factory. Had a regular and unleaded fuel selection on it for 87 or 93 octane fuel. It had 16" wheels which were huge at the time for any car including exotics. The car was the first intercooled mustang of its kind. Massive amounts of advancements in that car for its time. And then they made it stronger in the last year of production. For a four banger it was one nice ride. I consider it the Cobra Terminator of its time. It was different like the 03/04 cobra is different. My friends sister bought one new in 85 1/2. She still has it along with her 2006 and 1966 Hertz Rent-a-car Shelbys. And yes the 66 is a four speed manual and has original paint. I won't make you all cry by telling you that her father left them an all matching numbers 1967 GT500 Shelby which is almost to completion.

4n_eatr
06-17-2013, 09:19 PM
That SVO was an absolute exception to the rule. It was a wicked wicked car for its day when it came out in 1984. Had adjustable Koni strut suspension on it factory. Had a regular and unleaded fuel selection on it for 87 or 93 octane fuel. It had 16" wheels which were huge at the time for any car including exotics. The car was the first intercooled mustang of its kind. Massive amounts of advancements in that car for its time. And then they made it stronger in the last year of production. For a four banger it was one nice ride. I consider it the Cobra Terminator of its time. It was different like the 03/04 cobra is different. My friends sister bought one new in 85 1/2. She still has it along with her 2006 and 1966 Hertz Rent-a-car Shelbys. And yes the 66 is a four speed manual and has original paint. I won't make you all cry by telling you that her father left them an all matching numbers 1967 GT500 Shelby which is almost to completion.

... You said you wouldn't make me cry?!

Katmandu
06-20-2013, 01:32 AM
Just my opinion of course but its one I've always felt strong about. They shouldn't even make V6 Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, you know SPORTS CARS. these are ment to be fast. I will never have an ounce of respect for a v6 if the v8 was offered in that same car. I also think buying a v6 and then modding it is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. What are you trying to achive? the power level of a stock v8 that you should have bought in the first place? I kept on waiting for somebody in this thead to say something about gas mileage. I know it's coming.. simply put if you care about gas mileage go buy something other than a SPORTS CAR.You sure are one seriously ignorant fuck. :rolleyes:

You never in your life drove a 3.7. :rolleyes:

Katmandu
06-20-2013, 01:37 AM
How's price an issue when a v8 made a decade and a half ago makes more power and cost a third of what a new v6 mustang does?Did you actually read what you typed BEFORE you hit the Enter button ? :rolleyes:

4n_eatr
06-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Did you actually read what you typed BEFORE you hit the Enter button ? :rolleyes:

That's not ENTIRELY incorrect. My car was 4500, is 17 years old, gets 24 MPG, and makes over 300 to the wheels. I know the engines are completely different but a guy I used to work with had a supercharged 2010 v6 and it only ran mid 13's after spending $3,000+. Even he said he should have bought a v8 simply because theyre cheaper to modify because there are more parts available and his MPG wasn't all that great anyway after his mods. IMO , if you aren't looking for a barnstormer and just want something that has a little get up and go, and looks good, the v-6s are great. If you want an actual performance car, spend the extra cash on the v8. It's cheaper in the long runs and they hold their value.

SN95N/A
06-20-2013, 08:36 AM
I like the v6..all these guys with fast cars hating on them ha.

4n_eatr
06-20-2013, 09:22 AM
I'm not saying I DONT like them, I think if you want to by a quick sporty car they're fine, but don't expect it to be a FAST car. I think they get a bad reputation because high school kids will drive them because daddy won't buy them a v8 so they decide to start throwing money at it trying to get the power of a v8. My wife wants a grabber blue 12+ convertible v6 and I'm all for it. I'd happily drive it... But the modifications ( other than a few odds and ends in the interior department) are going to be reserved for my GT.

MWoods26
06-20-2013, 10:35 AM
You sure are one seriously ignorant fuck. :rolleyes:

You never in your life drove a 3.7. :rolleyes:

Im an ignorant fuck? damn. that sounds hatefull. Dont get so upset just because some guy on the internet thinks you bought a bitch car. You did get one thing right though. Never in my life have I had the desire or need to lower my standards enough to drive a 3.7. Im glad you happy with yours man. maybe someday you will be ready to step up to the v8... if its not too much car for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBX2b-zback

pegasus
06-20-2013, 11:29 AM
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/174/9/d/fight_over_internet_by_shadow729163-d54j3g8.jpg

not that ether of you are fighting me

but I will say this Mwoods26 the v6 cars are what has kept the mustang alive if there wasn't a cheaper option that was as durable as the 3.8 that new car owners (and you know girls) could afford to get them into the mustang world I think the mustang would have died out in 94

also there was almost a 2,000 dollar difference in insurance a year V6 vs V8 the last time I was looking to buy a mustang

Gene
06-20-2013, 01:46 PM
I'm not saying I DONT like them, I think if you want to by a quick sporty car they're fine, but don't expect it to be a FAST car. I think they get a bad reputation because high school kids will drive them because daddy won't buy them a v8 so they decide to start throwing money at it trying to get the power of a v8. My wife wants a grabber blue 12+ convertible v6 and I'm all for it. I'd happily drive it... But the modifications ( other than a few odds and ends in the interior department) are going to be reserved for my GT.

If the mods list in your sig is current, then you're probably making just about the same amount of power as a 3.7 V6.

How in the hell is the logical, reasonable person in this thread Katmandu? :confused:

4n_eatr
06-20-2013, 02:10 PM
If the mods list in your sig is current, then you're probably making just about the same amount of power as a 3.7 V6.

How in the hell is the logical, reasonable person in this thread Katmandu? :confused:

You want to try that again...? A 3.7 has what... 300-305 HP AT THE FLYWHEEL? So. Translate the typical 20% drivetrain loss and your looking at 240 to the wheels. Plus the base model suspension that sucks in the corners and the strip. Granted I'm only pushing 309 at the wheels, but that's over 360 at the crank PLUS I have the suspension to handle it and hook in the corners and the drag... All for 4500.... AND with a comined city/hwy MPG of 24 mpg... AND my insurance (full coverage) is 60 a month because its an older car. I was trying to be neutral, saying v6s are nice, but not PERFORMANCE cars.. YOU are just trying to start shit...

SN95N/A
06-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Your alls cars are slow.figured I would throw around some shit talk lol

Gene
06-20-2013, 03:34 PM
You want to try that again...? A 3.7 has what... 300-305 HP AT THE FLYWHEEL? So. Translate the typical 20% drivetrain loss and your looking at 240 to the wheels. Plus the base model suspension that sucks in the corners and the strip. Granted I'm only pushing 309 at the wheels, but that's over 360 at the crank PLUS I have the suspension to handle it and hook in the corners and the drag... All for 4500.... AND with a comined city/hwy MPG of 24 mpg... AND my insurance (full coverage) is 60 a month because its an older car. I was trying to be neutral, saying v6s are nice, but not PERFORMANCE cars.. YOU are just trying to start shit...

I'm not trying to pick on you...what I'm saying it that the 3.7 deserves some respect. You've got a car that's making similar power, except you've had to put thousands of dollars in mods to the car to make it happen.

My 2006 GT had 300hp from the factory and everyone thought that was a respectable number. I just don't see how the same kind of power from a 6 cylinder is any less respectable.

4n_eatr
06-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Well like I said. I drove a 2012 V-6 and yes, I do have respect for them. I would want one parked in my driveway if I didn't, lol. I can understand why some people but them, ie cost (God knows a Coyote isn't cheap) and full coverage insurance on a new car is outrageous, but I was just saying that people who buy them to make them FAST are wasting their money. My wife wants one because they're cheaper and they look good, especially with some aftermarket wheels, but if you're wanting a FAST car it is more cost effective to buy an older v8 with a few things done to them, because 1. Parts are cheaper, and 2. Insurance is cheaper. I guess I get tired of these punk kids in v6s wanting to prove something by pouring money into a car and wanting to race everyone in sight. In my "opinion" Mustangs shouldn't come in a v6 BUT I know that if it wasn't for the v6 and 4cyl mustangs, te "Mustang" could very well be extinct.

Damn this thread went on a tangent, didnt it? Lol

Going back to the op, I may have a Grabber Blue v6, just like the rental car i had, sitting in my driveway soon but it's just going to be that. I'm not messing with it. It will just be a nice car to drive around when I don't want a leg workout driving mine. Lol

4n_eatr
06-20-2013, 04:33 PM
And btw... I think the guy who did all the engine work is crazy for spending so much money on the engine, but at least it was built right. I bought it because it was a cheap, mildly powerful car, with a rare color, and a nice stance, but if I spent 6k on a 5.0 I'd have 500hp, lol. Ford should just start making Foxes again.. Lol...

I think SBZ needs to have track days and cruise ins again to release some of this testosterone, lmao. I don't remember this site being so edgy back in 04-05 when I first signed up...

firestang70
06-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Why do people compare apples to oranges in these "discussions". I heard resale value and Mustang, put in the same phrase lol. Unless you have a special low mileage model, none of them hold their value well.

Comparing a 17 year old price to a new one again, no comparison. If you factor in inflation, the prices will be comparable(94 gt base price was just over 17k with 215 hp, new 3.7 starts at just over 22k with over 300 hp and more safety equipment and better equipped and get 30mpgs).

You think a new v-6 isn't worth modding to a owners taste. A new 3.7 will flat out embarrass a 94-95 stock gt. The car stock to stock will also out brake and out handle a 94-95 gt. Is it a slam to those gt owners? No it means the Ford engineers have done their work. Each model has been a better overall car than the model before it.
If the 3.7 hadn't came out at the same time as the Coyote it would have gotten more press. I have driven a couple of 3.7s and was impressed with stock performance. I own a Coyote for the only reason that I like the v8 rumble.

I run mid 11s with just a few mods, I get 26 mpg with the cruise on. I have also been outrun by FI 3.7s that have less in total cost than I do. Does it make my car any better or worse? Most money spent on mods is wasted because you will never recoup it on resale. A Mustang is a Mustang and the 3.7 is a very nice motor. Unfortunately it will never have the aftermarket support of the Coyote.

leroy93lx
06-20-2013, 06:07 PM
I bet the T-Type/ Grand National guys would have a hayday with this thread. Regals could be had with V8s too........ Modding that V6 is Lame!

Haha

Carry on

4n_eatr
06-20-2013, 06:24 PM
I bet the T-Type/ Grand National guys would have a hayday with this thread. Regals could be had with V8s too........ Modding that V6 is Lame!

Haha

Carry on

They also came stock with a turbo...

Rick93coupe
06-20-2013, 06:38 PM

LOL, that caught me off guard but it is a valid question.

Katmandu
06-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene

How in the hell is the logical, reasonable person in this thread Katmandu?

LOL, that caught me off guard but it is a valid question. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Katmandu
06-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Well like I said. I drove a 2012 V-6 and yes, I do have respect for them. I would want one parked in my driveway if I didn't, lol. I can understand why some people but them, ie cost (God knows a Coyote isn't cheap) and full coverage insurance on a new car is outrageous,

but I was just saying that people who buy them to make them FAST are wasting their money.

Damn this thread went on a tangent, didnt it? Lol:bigthumb

I would like nothing more than to get a Coyote but like most folks, don't have an extra $10 grand laying around to play with. Maybe someday, but not now.

Earlier, you were comparing the old 4.0L V6 to the 3.7L V6. No comparison what-so-ever. Only thing that's the same is the V6 part.

3.7s can't be made to go fast you say ?

Read this thread.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-v6-mustang-tech/453474-smokinstanley-vs-foolnya-z28th1s-track-4-26-a-2.html
3.7, M6, 3.73 gears, JLT CAI, BBK TB, 'buildingsleeper' ported upper & lower intakes, Lund Racing 93 tune, BBK LT's, O/R X-pipe, Flowmaster 'Force II' axleback, Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft, J&M LCA's, UPR UCA, J&M PHB, 305 RWHP & 280 RWTQ,
12.63 @ 108.86 MPH (1st NA 3.7 V6 in the 12's!!)

4n_eatr
06-25-2013, 06:58 AM
10 grand? I was looking at a decently well equipped 5.0 at Interstate Ford that was only 32k. Maybe 10k difference if your talking about a completely stripped down version, but what's the point in having a v6 if it has no options? I wasn't saying they can't be made to go fast, but it's not as economical... ALL that work and he's still only running with the STOCK 5.0s. So he's wasted about 10k worth of money, killed his gas mileage (which is one reason people like the v-6s), an still is only as good as what he could have got of the showroom floor just to "prove a point" that v6s can be fast. Again... I KNOW they can be, but is it worth it? Yes your car is probably not much slower than mine even with all the work that's been done. Ill concede that, but mine was also a 1/4 of the price. I have nothing but respect for the new v6s for what they are, sporty, quick economical transportation. But when people start trying to make them race cars, I just have to sit back and laugh. They remind me of Civic owners.

Katmandu
06-25-2013, 09:25 AM
10 grand? I was looking at a decently well equipped 5.0 at Interstate Ford that was only 32k. Maybe 10k difference if your talking about a completely stripped down version, but what's the point in having a v6 if it has no options? Yeah, $10 Grand difference. Terry has some very, very nice base models For Sale.

What's the point in buying a stripped down version ? MONEY. Not everyone has it or enough of it of what we want to do. Do you ?

I wasn't saying they can't be made to go fast, but it's not as economical... ALL that work and he's still only running with the STOCK 5.0s.You're talking Coyote 5.0s. A base 3.7 will hang with and BEAT older 5.0s. That is a well-known FACT. The will get eaten by Coyotes (like most other cars will LOL ).

So he's wasted about 10k worth of money, killed his gas mileage (which is one reason people like the v-6s), an still is only as good as what he could have got of the showroom floor just to "prove a point" that v6s can be fast.

Again... I KNOW they can be, but is it worth it?

Yes your car is probably not much slower than mine even with all the work that's been done. Ill concede that, but mine was also a 1/4 of the price. Is it worth it ? Too him obviously it is. To me and you ? No it's not.

Also, you seem to miss a key point in your argument, your car may be faster but it is still only worth 1/4 what a base 3.7 is too.

I have nothing but respect for the new v6s for what they are, sporty, quick economical transportation.That's one of the main reasons I bought my 3.7 right there. I commute (80) miles/day and believe it or not, my car gets mid-30s when I drive sane. I spend about $250/month in fuel.

What's your car get on the highway ? 15 ? That would be around $500/month in gas alone.

4n_eatr
06-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Actually I get 23 on the highway. (Surprised me too, lol) and 19 in the city.
An yes I'm talking about the coyotes... The Windsor is a dog stock, so is the 4.6 (sohc) lol

SN95N/A
06-25-2013, 10:44 AM
^Kinda beatin a dead horse at this point..I'm pretty sure this thread was never made for a comparison between v8 cars and v6 cars.

4n_eatr
06-25-2013, 02:16 PM
that's why I said this thread went on a tangent, lol.
My bad...

Katmandu
06-25-2013, 11:12 PM
that's why I said this thread went on a tangent, lol.
My bad...We need more spirited conversations around this damn place anyways! :lol:

Quite frankly, I'm surprised there aren't more 3.7 folks on here. That and it's amazing how many others don't know much about them.

Bet most don't know they are Direct Injected either! :cool2: DIrect injection is the shittt! :bigthumb

4n_eatr
06-26-2013, 06:57 AM
I'm actually surprised too. There's tons around here that have a few exterior mods and maybe an exhaust. I think part of the problem is car guys are losing a sense of community these days. Almost all the forums are dead, unless you go to the big ones. Even then you'll see people on Stangnet and Corral complain about it. I tried to talk to a guy about his sick looking Fox ad he just acted like he didn't have time for me. I remember when car guys would chase me down or vice versa just to talk about each others cars.

Katmandu
06-26-2013, 07:48 AM
I'm actually surprised too. There's tons around here that have a few exterior mods and maybe an exhaust. I think part of the problem is car guys are losing a sense of community these days. Almost all the forums are dead, unless you go to the big ones. Even then you'll see people on Stangnet and Corral complain about it. I tried to talk to a guy about his sick looking Fox ad he just acted like he didn't have time for me. I remember when car guys would chase me down or vice versa just to talk about each others cars.No doubt. Cruising is DEAD! I'm a little older than most here and got to experience some REAL cruising days first hand !

I got to this area in the mid-80s and the cruising scene in your neighborhood (Kettering....Woodman Dr.) was totally SIC ! Hundreds of cars would cruise that strip Fri/Sat nights! I have a an old Car Craft Hot Rod magazine that did a full spread on just this area. Featured on the cover as well.

Shit! Up here in Piqua, cruising was so heavy through the downtown that the City Council actually installed "NO CRUISING AREA" flashing signs ! NO SHIT! I believe they're still standing, next time I'm up there, I'll get pics.

Sometimes on my way home from work (2nd shift) around midnight, I'll drive through Troy's downtown and see 1, maybe 2 hot rods (or ricers) sitting in the Square. I'll pass by very few other nice cars on my way home. This place used to rocks as well. It is now DEAD too.

IMHO, video games and the net killed cruising! People are flat out addicted to video games like crack! You can't get people out from in front of their X-Boxes for nothing!

Very sad.....

Katmandu
06-26-2013, 08:04 AM
http://images14.fotki.com/v380/photos/8/2654248/11916977/NOCRUSINGSIGN-vi.png

4n_eatr
06-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Hell even 10 years ago it was still around to some extent. When I bought my first 5.0 and got onto SBZ in 04-05 there were cruises all the time. I was in a club called Mid Ohio Street Stangs and we went up to the NMRA event every year, went to parks just to hang out, all kinds of stuff. That why I got so excited when Mustangjon started Gearheds. Has that "old school" club vibe with people that actually want to get together. Not just people who sit and talk about their cars on the Internet.

Is it Piqua or Troy (maybe Tipp) that has the traffic circle? We used to go up there quite a bit to hang out.

Katmandu
06-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Is it Piqua or Troy (maybe Tipp) that has the traffic circle? We used to go up there quite a bit to hang out.Troy has the circle (Square actually).

There are some nice weekly Cruise-Ins around the area. :bigthumb Several years ago, there was a weekly Cruise-In up here in Troy at the old K-Mart parking lot that was getting almost a 100+ car a week! I was really getting big! A developer came in and shut it down to build Miami Jacobs. No more big Cruise-Ins since then. :dummy:

2Kblacksleeper
06-27-2013, 08:23 PM
I remember in the late 90's when I started driving that Eastgate was the place to cruise around here. I had some great night from about 98-03. Then It died not long after that.

4n_eatr
06-27-2013, 09:23 PM
I had a 72 Chevelle SS in 2000 and there were cruises EVERYWHERE. I bought my first fox in 02 and is seemed like right after that the decline hit, so you're dead on, lol. Sold my Last mustang in 05 and it's astonishing the lack of community nowadays.

Gene
06-28-2013, 04:22 PM
I remember in the late 90's when I started driving that Eastgate was the place to cruise around here. I had some great night from about 98-03. Then It died not long after that.

Yeah, the cops killed that in the early 2000s.

Katmandu
06-30-2013, 01:10 AM
I had a 72 Chevelle SS.:( Man, I came REAL close to buying a 72 Chevelle SS 454 many, many moons ago. Yea, it had the low HP version 454 but it was still cool as shit.

4n_eatr
06-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Haha, mine was even worse... I bought a 350 SS, just because it was cheap and I wanted an SS. That thing looked gorgeous and sounded mean as hell... Just wouldn't get out if its own way, lol.