PDA

View Full Version : New daily driver?

4n_eatr
06-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Might be getting a job about 2.5 hours away, but the pay is about 3x what I make now. I might move to Cbus to make the commute easier, but I want to get a newer (within 5 years and under 50k) car that gets good mpg. I'm thinking about the new Focus, maybe a Velocitor or something similar. Any suggestions?

sean
06-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Im guessing 50k is miles? Mazdaspeed3 was a fun car and not real expensive. malibu, cruze, new fusion is a nice one. New focus as you said is a nice car too. I have a friend selling a 2011 wrx in the 24,000 area.

Gene
06-21-2013, 08:57 PM
WRXs suck for fuel economy...you'll be lucky to get 20mpg combined out of one.

The new-style Focus would be my choice. Or a non-Speed Mazda3. Either will get damn near 40mpg and you won't be tempted to mod it.

cstreu1026
06-21-2013, 09:05 PM
The Mazda Speed3 gets shit gas mileage too but the Ones with Sky Activ engines are suppose to very good on gas. I've had a focus for a rental and it was pretty good as well.

sean
06-21-2013, 09:26 PM
I got 24 to 26 in my speed on the highway. Not bad for a fun D/D. Remember when 30mpg was the shit? if your just talking basic good mpg cruze, fiesta, focus, fusion, malibu, sonic, spark, cobalt, kia forte, soul, Hyundai elantra, nissan versa, altima, eco boost f150 isnt bad, optima, mazda2, mazda3, miata, etc. Theres all sorts of stuff. Just depends on what you would consider good mpg. I think the speed for what you get and the fun it is to drive gets pretty good mpg. Most newer cars now days get pretty good mpg so its wide open for you. Comes down to weather you just want mpg or you want fun and mpg. You can have both to some extent.

4n_eatr
06-21-2013, 09:32 PM
I had an older Focus and it was horrible but my friend works at Ford as he sai te new ones are a completely different animal. Of course my problem is I go straight at the ST but it only gets a few MPG better than my mustang, lol. I was thinking about the Mazda 3 but the hood scoop is too "hot wheels" . I guess you can say I'd like a "Hot Hatch" or small compact. Has anyone heard any first hand expericnce with the Velocitors? I thought they were hideous at first but they're growing on me.

And Sean I'd love a WRX, But I wouldn't be able to keep my hands out of it. My buddy just bought a 2013 but, again... The gas mileage would suck.

4n_eatr
06-21-2013, 09:35 PM
I don't like driving boring cars.. Especially if I'm going to be spending 2 hours round trip in one, I want to enjoy it. So definitely fun and mpg. So far I'm leaning towards the Focus, but I'd probably end up with the ST just because I can.. Lol

sean
06-21-2013, 09:42 PM
what about the frs. Thats a neat little car

cstreu1026
06-21-2013, 10:11 PM
If you're driving in a straight line for a long distance on the highway every car is boring.

4n_eatr
06-21-2013, 10:52 PM
If you're driving in a straight line for a long distance on the highway every car is boring.

Lol, never thought of it that way. BUT about 30-45 minutes of my drive would be back roads, so that may be a saving grace.

4n_eatr
06-21-2013, 10:55 PM
what about the frs. Thats a neat little car

I completely forgot about that one. I've only seen one on the road. But I have a feeling "the boss" might take an issue with a 2 seater. Or else I'd try and convince her to let me buy a Vette, lol.

2007ShelbyCobra
06-21-2013, 11:06 PM
it stay away from any Hyundia, Kia, and Nissan.... Theyre great if you like cars that fall apart, sure 1/10 get a good one thats works for them, but the rest fall apart and all sorts of random crap break. Also id stay away from the sonic. The Mazdas seem to be pretty good, a lot of them are just a 4cyl Ford motor. The Turbo Cobalts are a blast and get pretty good gas mileage if you are looking for used vehicles as well

mustangjon
06-21-2013, 11:39 PM
My dd fiesta gets 40 mpg at 80mph on cruise and new focus suppose to get same. And it's surprisingly good to drive. I even toss it around on back roads occasionally lol it's defiantly not a stang but for gas mileage and something tolerable it does well. I would have bought focus if new ones were out when I got it

sean
06-21-2013, 11:49 PM
I completely forgot about that one. I've only seen one on the road. But I have a feeling "the boss" might take an issue with a 2 seater. Or else I'd try and convince her to let me buy a Vette, lol.

I Lik The Vette Idea But You Do Know The Frs Seats 4 Right.

Moody
06-22-2013, 02:02 AM
I rented a 2013 v6 mustang and got 34mpg driving to Maryland it was fun in the corners and its still a 300hp mustang. I would buy a 11-13 v6 if I had the funds seen 2011with 20k on the clock for 17500. I'm used to getting gas mileage in the teens so I was impressed with the car over all.

devous1
06-22-2013, 06:21 AM
When I had to travel that far everyday I just started buying POS cars for a couple Gs. Youll be driving the shit out of whatever you buy and when it starts having issues just toss it.

Whatever ya get welcome to Cowtown.

4n_eatr
06-22-2013, 06:58 AM
I Lik The Vette Idea But You Do Know The Frs Seats 4 Right.

No I didn't, hell it looks like a two-seater, lol. The main reason a Vette crossed my mind is my buddy went to Florida in his and was getting 29mpg at 90mph the whole way there.

I think I narrowed it down, at least, to what I should be test driving. I'm probably going to stick with Ford or maybe Mazda. Ill keep my eye out for a cheap SS cobalt.
I didn't really think about the v6 mustang but if I got one of those I'd never be allowed to drive it. My wife would take it and I'd get stuck with her impala, lol

I'm done with beaters. I drove crappy cars for so much of my life I want a nice car for once.

m347
06-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Don't know if you have thought about winter time driving to work or not.
My wife drives an 08 Escape that is all wheel drive and averages 24 mpg and gets close to 30 highway driving and will go in any kind of road conditions.

4n_eatr
06-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Don't know if you have thought about winter time driving to work or not.
My wife drives an 08 Escape that is all wheel drive and averages 24 mpg and gets close to 30 highway driving and will go in any kind of road conditions.

Actually, I haven't lol. Hmmmm WRXs are AWD, lol. My friends wife ha an escape and she loves it and it looks nice. I'll have to look at those, too.

Walter
06-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Honda civic, put gas in it and set the cruise control. Done.

thecollector
06-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Id go nice used car route. Something 5 yrs old+. The rate your gonna be driving your car its still gonna break down only difference is the rate youll be depreciating it and how much youll owe when it takes a dump. Sounds like a quick way wind up 12k upside down on a car loan after 18mos. Ask me how I know.

4n_eatr
06-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Id go nice used car route. Something 5 yrs old+. The rate your gonna be driving your car its still gonna break down only difference is the rate youll be depreciating it and how much youll owe when it takes a dump. Sounds like a quick way wind up 12k upside down on a car loan after 18mos. Ask me how I know.

I've been thinking about that. Especially after having looked at a new Focus ST, and realizing for 4,000 more I can get a new 5.0 or a convertible v6. My wife has been bugging me about one so I might just drive the Impala until it dies and buy her a vert so at least she has a nice car. It'll be boring driving it but ill be able to spend more money on MY mustang... Which makes me happy.

Mista Bone
06-23-2013, 04:06 AM
Honda civic, put gas in it and set the cruise control. Done.

While a Honda fan, the same can be said about Toyota's.

Accord or Camary, although I haven't been in a newer Civic but they are now the size of the old Accords.

As someone who drives a lot...and sits in front of a computer screen ALOT, before you worry about gas mileage worry about butt comfort and seating position.

Also if you are driving THAT far daily, you might wanna get a cheap apartment and only come home on weekends.

Figure a 10 hour total day, 5 hours driving, only leaves 9 hours to sleep at home. You will get stuck in the rut and be an angry person due to the burn out issues.

Been there, done that.

4n_eatr
06-23-2013, 11:30 AM
That's what I'm planning on. For a month or two I'm going to work 4/10hr days and get a hotel room 3 nights until I can find a house to rent out there

Katmandu
06-25-2013, 09:40 AM
I don't like driving boring cars.. Especially if I'm going to be spending 2 hours round trip in one, I want to enjoy it. So definitely fun and mpg. So far I'm leaning towards the Focus, but I'd probably end up with the ST just because I can.. LolDon't want to get a "girls" car do you ? :rolleyes:

My (12) 3.7 gets (34) MPG highway consistently (with the mods it has) and a 2.73 gear. SERIOUSLY. Mods..... SCT Tuned, JTL CAI, Dynomax Catback with 2.5" mid-pipe and Ultra-Flos.

Is it fun to drive on my long commute ? Helluva a lot more fun than an econobox. 2.73s are really sweet highway gear! :bigthumb Take a 3.7 out on the highway and wind it out. Come back and tell us what you think then.

You can easily find a used 11-12 3.7 for $15-16k.

BTW, stay away from the Velosters. Total POS and slow as hell.

5.0calypso93lx
06-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Picked up a Cruze Eco a few months ago. Really liking it so far. Turbo, 6 speed manual and I've gotten mid 40's mpg on the highway multiple times. They're a little underrated at the 42mpg hwy. Average about 35mpg and I do a bunch of city driving. $17,000 brand new and a 5yr/100k powertrain warranty. Mike Castrucci was running $3,500 off MSRP on anything in stock back when I bought. Only thing I've done is added a K&N filter in the stock air box and removed the air intake silencer.

Katmandu
06-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Here's a nice girl's car for you. :bigthumb

2011 3.7 Mustang $17,500.

http://tinyurl.com/oxwo844

BTW, bought my 12 for $20k w/11k on it. Came with a (7) year Ford Warranty. That's better than a NEW car warranty. (7) year Warranties only come of Ford Certified vehicles.

What's your warranty on your 96 ?

4n_eatr
06-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Lol, touché...

I talked to my wife about buying a v6 and she already called dibs on it if I buy one, so I'd be driving the Impala.

A warranty is an awesome thing to have.. But my warranty would be the $15,500 I saved plus interest, lol.

cstreu1026
06-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Thought about a Mini Cooper? The NA version I had for a loaner had an auto and averaged 38-39 MPG between Mason and Xenia. I think the S is rated at 36 MPG.

Katmandu
06-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Thought about a Mini Cooper?Mini's are cool, but ride like skateboards (horrible) out on the open road.

4n_eatr
06-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Thought about a Mini Cooper? The NA version I had for a loaner had an auto and averaged 38-39 MPG between Mason and Xenia. I think the S is rated at 36 MPG.

I drove an S years ago, but I forget how it rode. Ill have to see about those. If I remember right they're pretty reliable too.

4n_eatr
06-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Mini's are cool, but ride like skateboards (horrible) out on the open road.

Ill have to drive one again because I've never driven one on the highway. About half my commute will be highway so that might be a deal breaker.

Katmandu
06-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Lol, touché...

I talked to my wife about buying a v6 and she already called dibs on it if I buy one, so I'd be driving the Impala.I'm lucky then I guess... my wife hates my Stang (or any low riding, cramped car for that matter)!

What year Impala ? The newer ones get lower 30s MPG Highway ?

What's your budget for a car ? What are your goals for it ?

cstreu1026
06-25-2013, 02:20 PM
I drive a Cooper S with the sport package and run flats every day and its not that bad.

4n_eatr
06-25-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm lucky then I guess... my wife hates my Stang (or any low riding, cramped car for that matter)!

What year Impala ? The newer ones get lower 30s MPG Highway ?

What's your budget for a car ? What are your goals for it ?

It's a 2003. It has the gas hungry 3800, so it's only about 26-27 on the highway. I'm looking right at 20k. 25k if I REALLY like it. In my first post I meant to say less than 5 years old. I want something fun to drive but not so fun that ill want to mess with it, lol. I'd like to keep it stock. My buddy is trying to get me to buy a WRX, because he has one, but I know I'd end up messing around with it. If I do indeed get te job ill test drive a few small sporty cars and if I can't find anything I really like, ill just buy her a v6 convertible and take the impala until it dies. Ill be honest, I really like the Focus ST and I hear the Fiesta ST is only going to be a tenth slower to 60 and two tenths slower in the quarter and get 39 mpg. But I don't know how they'll handle the winter, even with different tires.

Katmandu
06-25-2013, 11:06 PM
It's a 2003. It has the gas hungry 3800, so it's only about 26-27 on the highway. I'm looking right at 20k. 25k if I REALLY like it. In my first post I meant to say less than 5 years old. I want something fun to drive but not so fun that ill want to mess with it, lol. I'd like to keep it stock. You need to drive my car. Seriously. I bought it for the exact same reasons you're looking for. I test drove 15-20 cars before I decided on it.

No bullshit mid-30s MPG. They're rated at 31 EPA.

Just let me know.

4n_eatr
06-26-2013, 07:02 AM
I will, lol. When I get closer to buying one ill hit you up.

Jake
06-26-2013, 11:36 PM
the new focus is pretty fun to drive, has a fair amount of cargo capacity, and gets great mileage. the electronic steering is pretty damn cool on those things too. I haven't driven all the cars you're looking at, but I wouldn't never turn down the new focus. hatch of course!

4n_eatr
06-27-2013, 07:12 AM
if I get a Focus it will be an ST, so I know it will be fun to drive, lol. That's one of the first cars I'm going to test out.

Katmandu
06-27-2013, 01:46 PM
if I get a Focus it will be an ST, so I know it will be fun to drive, lol. That's one of the first cars I'm going to test out.St's are badass little cars! :bigthumb As you know there in the $30k range.....that's Coyote Country my friend! :cool2:

Hmm... ST ??? or Coyote ??? :dunno: :D

4n_eatr
06-27-2013, 03:09 PM
St's are badass little cars! :bigthumb As you know there in the $30k range.....that's Coyote Country my friend! :cool2:

Hmm... ST ??? or Coyote ??? :dunno: :D

Oh trust me I know. I was at Interstate Ford looking at the STs and made the mistake of looking outside... In the showroom they have a fully loaded ST for 29K, right outside the door sat a (relatively) bare bones Gotta Have It Green 5.0 for 33K...
My wife brought up a good point that might let the ST win,
1 it has four doors
2 better mpg and
3 (most importantly) I can't have a daily driver that makes 60 more HP than my "garage car"... So she said if I did that I'd have to boost the 96.... I may be getting a good job... But I sure as hell didnt win the lottery, lol
I think I'm going to keep $30,000 as my ABSOLUTE limit. Preferable under 25

Katmandu
06-30-2013, 01:07 AM
Oh trust me I know. I was at Interstate Ford looking at the STs and made the mistake of looking outside... In the showroom they have a fully loaded ST for 29K, right outside the door sat a (relatively) bare bones Gotta Have It Green 5.0 for 33K...
My wife brought up a good point that might let the ST win,
1 it has four doors
2 better mpg and
3 (most importantly) I can't have a daily driver that makes 60 more HP than my "garage car"... So she said if I did that I'd have to boost the 96.... I may be getting a good job... But I sure as hell didnt win the lottery, lol
I think I'm going to keep $30,000 as my ABSOLUTE limit. Preferable under 25Sounds like an ST will be in your garage shortly! :bigthumb

4n_eatr
06-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Sounds like an ST will be in your garage shortly! :bigthumb

With any luck. It all depends on if and when I get the job. I have 3 interviews this month with the military and more later if these fall through. If it gets too close to winter I might have to look at something else after my brain catches up to me and reminds me that I live in Ohio. BUT I finally saw what the "blue" ST looks like as the website is computer generated so its not very helpful... But yeah I think that is what sold me.

Katmandu
06-30-2013, 10:30 AM
With any luck. It all depends on if and when I get the job. What line of work are you in ?

4n_eatr
06-30-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm a mechanic in the National Guard (former infantry). I'm trying to get a Technician job with the Army. I've been a civilian mechanic for years and someone convinced me to apply for a full time position with the military because they pay very well and a lot of the people in there are idiots, lol.