PDA

View Full Version : Can you pull bullets outta the casing?

chris91
06-26-2013, 09:01 PM
Im getting ready to spread my fathers ashes and just wanted to keep a little for myself and kids. His favorite gun was his .44 Colt Anaconda and I was wondering if its possible to remove the Bullet from the casing without messing it up too bad. I planned on emptying the casing and putting a little bit of his ashes in it and then putting the Bullet back on. Is this possible? I tried taking a couple pairs of pliers to one and it would spin but wouldnt come out and just marred up the Bullet. :confused:

If its easier to just buy the Bullet itself, I have a few casings already empty. Just trying to figure this out.

Black92LX
06-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Google bullet puller. $10 tool

Sorry to hear about your loss.

facemelter71
06-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Kinetic bullet puller in the easiest. Bass pro has them.

TurboNG
06-26-2013, 09:22 PM
I use pliers

redfirepearlgt
06-26-2013, 10:11 PM
To buy the bullet would require buying a box of them. That would be costly considering you are only after 2 or so. There must be someone on here that reloads .44 cal rounds that could help this guy honor his dad.

It would be much wiser IMHO to use the spent rounds with spent primers. This would help you further distinguish the rounds you have preserved your loved one in from true live rounds.

Mista Bone
06-26-2013, 11:37 PM
RCBS Bullet puller, looks like a green hammer.

Honestly, you'd be better off just reloading fresh loads with a fast burning powder.

chris91
06-27-2013, 04:03 AM
I have empty casings already. Im not looking to shoot them again so no need to put fast burning powder in them. Im looking to have his ashes in the bullet and have it look like a real round minus the dent in the cap from the firing pin.

I tried the pliers trick and they wouldnt budge. I could get the bullet to spin in the casing but it wouldnt pull out. I wasnt really looking to spend any money as I only have four bullets that need done.

Thanks Black, we lost him back in 04 but his wishes were to keep his ashes around until his widow died and then they wanted their ashes to be combined and spread together. She just recently passed. We plan on spreading their ashes in a spot they both loved but I want to keep a little for myself, my children, and my grandmother.

I was hoping there mightve been someone that does reloads that could help me out. Ill pay for the Bullets if I have to. I mean I have spent casings and I have live rounds too.

Mista Bone
06-27-2013, 05:06 AM
To have a non dented primer, it will have to be a live primer, but with ashes instead of powder, little will happen except lockup the revolver if that primer was every fired upon and the bullet partially ejected.

The round you mangled for better terms, never shoot it. The others, shoot them them and smile with every shot.

I would ask CCI if you could get 6-10 dummy/blank Large Pistol primers. I'm sure I can come up with 6-10 44 mag bullets.

I sold almost all my reloading stuff to survive in 2005-2006 but I still have a box of reloads that Dad got when he bought a Norwegian 11.25 MM (Colt 45 ACP) around 1981-1982.

Are the fired casings you have one that that your dad fired? I would have those reloaded with dummy primers, the ashes, and then capped with a bullet of that he choose to shoot.

Is there a time frame on this? I have a buddy in Taylor, MI that I bet would love to do this. It would require you being present though, even you making the pulls on the lever of the reloader.

Mista Bone
06-27-2013, 05:23 AM
Emails and PM's sent to a few trusted folks.

http://www.alphapatriot.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2005/JimScoutten_sm.jpg

Years ago I made quite a few lucky connections simply because I asked via email or made a phone call.

4n_eatr
06-27-2013, 07:23 AM
My dad and I reload. Next time I'm at his house ill see if he has any casings and 44 rounds.

facemelter71
06-27-2013, 10:14 AM
I have empty casings already. Im not looking to shoot them again so no need to put fast burning powder in them. Im looking to have his ashes in the bullet and have it look like a real round minus the dent in the cap from the firing pin.

I tried the pliers trick and they wouldnt budge. I could get the bullet to spin in the casing but it wouldnt pull out. I wasnt really looking to spend any money as I only have four bullets that need done.

Thanks Black, we lost him back in 04 but his wishes were to keep his ashes around until his widow died and then they wanted their ashes to be combined and spread together. She just recently passed. We plan on spreading their ashes in a spot they both loved but I want to keep a little for myself, my children, and my grandmother.

I was hoping there mightve been someone that does reloads that could help me out. Ill pay for the Bullets if I have to. I mean I have spent casings and I have live rounds too.

I dont have any 44 stuff on my shelf. I would be more than happy to pull the bullet for you. That takes all of about 3 seconds to do. Stuff a live primer in there,it wont hurt anything. Just put a small black mark on it with a sharpie to remember not to shoot the one with the black mark.

You can reuse the bullet that you pull from the live round and just dump the powder out and put ash's in and press the bullet back in. Easy enough,I just dont have any reloading stuff for 44. My buddy might though,I can check.

chris91
06-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Im not worried about the dent in the primer. Guess I worded that wrong. I just want his ashes in the casing with a bullet that isnt messed up pressed back in to cap it off. Nothing too special. I have empty casings that have already been fired by me and my son or I have live rounds that were put into a holster by my father himself. Either way is fine by me.

Sorry Bone, no chance of me going to Michigan to have this done..

I would GREATLY appreciate any help here fellas, this means the world to me. Letting his ashes go is something thats taking a toll on me a little here as of late as well as all the other drama I have going on. I just feel now is the time to set him free.

facemelter71
06-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Are you ever near West Chester or Colerain? I can remove the bullet from a live round,or I can clean and reuse the spent casing. Either way it wont take but a few minutes to do.

I dont have the die's for the 44. You can buy them for me.lol Im just kidding.

Thats the only thing I need to make what you want,just a set of dies for a 44. All the other stuff I can do.

MWoods26
06-27-2013, 12:17 PM
I have what you need to get this done if somebody else has a single stage press. I had it all all set up at my house to reload 50AE for my Desert Eagle but rarely shoot anymore so I took it all to my dads farm house in Falmouth. I can have him bring home my bullet puller and dies. I am almost certain the shell plate (thing that holds bottom of casing in press) is the same for 50AE and 44 so that will work. The die that sets the bullet will work too since its just a slightly smaller round. Let me know if that helps. My dad goes back and forth to the farm a time or two each week. Just a matter of his old ass remembering to grab the stuff if I tell him to

chris91
06-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Damn why you guys all gotta live so far away. With the wife having seizures I have to be remotely close to her. Let me see if I can work something out and I will get back with you guys. I'm not in a big rush, I mean he did pass in 04. My son wants to make a necklace outta his but I don't think it'd be able to be done, ashes would fall out of the holes.

bangingears
06-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Damn why you guys all gotta live so far away. With the wife having seizures I have to be remotely close to her. Let me see if I can work something out and I will get back with you guys. I'm not in a big rush, I mean he did pass in 04. My son wants to make a necklace outta his but I don't think it'd be able to be done, ashes would fall out of the holes.

I have all the 44 stuff you could want or need, PM if interested

chris91
06-27-2013, 11:20 PM
Message sent!

DeckerEnt
06-28-2013, 11:17 AM
I have a bullit puller but no dies for a .44 What I would do is pull a bullit from a live round, Clean a spent round, add the ashes, then seat the unfired bullit. Make a few of them and mount in a picture frame with a pic of him or something. This is a cool idea!!!

chris91
06-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Could you just tap the bullet back into the casing with a hammer very softly? I dont know, never messed with anything like this. I do like your idea though Keith!

redfirepearlgt
06-28-2013, 05:06 PM

Drill the hole to string it through the .44 round. Run the necklace through that. Once pressed back in it won't pull out. Just be sure to use a FMJ target round and not a hollow point.

ibstrokin
06-28-2013, 05:18 PM
I can help also, I have 44 mag dies, brass, bullets and a press. I may need a shell plate. I live south of Dayton. Let me know if I can help.

dedpedal
06-28-2013, 05:33 PM
A thought my loml suggested is turn one of the rounds into a necklace so he would be close to your heart.

chris91
06-28-2013, 08:21 PM
My son wants that done but I would want the bullet to hang down instead of the shell. Wasnt sure how to seal the holes where the necklace would pass through. I think silicon would look like crap. Any thoughts on how to do that?

chris91
06-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Ive come up with an idea. Drill the hole through the shell toward the base. Put a ring through the hole. Then fill the bottom with silicon and let it dry up to seal the hole so no ashes spill through and then press the bullet back in the shell.

Any thoughts on that idea or other ideas to make it work? Im all ears!!

MWoods26
06-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Ive come up with an idea. Drill the hole through the shell toward the base. Put a ring through the hole. Then fill the bottom with silicon and let it dry up to seal the hole so no ashes spill through and then press the bullet back in the shell.

Any thoughts on that idea or other ideas to make it work? Im all ears!!

you will not be able to put the casing back in the shell plate to press the bullet in if it has a ring through it..

chris91
06-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Im talking about putting the ring at the base of the shell. Not the opening. All I want back in the shell is my fathers ashes and the Bullet itself to cap it off. Nothing else. Or am I missing something here, never had a bullet apart?

MWoods26
06-28-2013, 11:25 PM
the base of the shell has to slide into a shell plate that holds it for you to be able to press the bullet back into the opening. One thing that might work is if you use a casing without a primer in it. put a little piece of tape or something over it to keep ashes from coming out when you set the bullet. then find a small screw to go into the primer hole that you could attach the necklase with

chris91
06-29-2013, 01:51 AM
Not sure if you're understanding what Im wanting to do Mike so here I tested out a 9mm round.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/blown94ls/IMG_20130629_014407_zps93e1f42e.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/blown94ls/media/IMG_20130629_014407_zps93e1f42e.jpg.html)

Im talking about taking like a ring they use on trinkets for necklaces and putting it through the holes in the shell. Then taking silicon and filling the shell just past the holes so the ashes wont come out of the holes. Then filling the shell with his ashes and have the Bullet pressed into the shell.

MWoods26
06-29-2013, 03:39 AM
I guess im not understanding exactly how the ring is going to go through it and not come around the bottom of the shell since you want the end with the bullet to hang down. I was thinking you mean like a key ring or something that you would be able to run though the shell and be able to hang on the necklace.

chris91
06-29-2013, 03:57 AM
Like this but with a metal ring going through the holes. This was just a piece of wire I had laying around. The Necklace will connect to the ring.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/blown94ls/IMG_20130629_035419_zps8086a296.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/blown94ls/media/IMG_20130629_035419_zps8086a296.jpg.html)

chris91
06-29-2013, 04:06 AM
A ring like this.

http://media1.riogrande.com/Products/Images/Large/684152.jpg

MWoods26
06-29-2013, 04:27 AM
Ok that is kinda what I thought you were thinking..... You will not be able to put that casing in the shell plate to press in the bullet with that ring in the way.

chris91
06-29-2013, 04:34 AM
Oh didnt think of that, wasnt thinking of how the plate wrapped around the casing. Guess I will just be using a dead blow hammer to sink it in the shell then.

mustangjon
06-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Just put a nail or something through it with Vaseline let silicone dry pull out put ash bullet back in then insert ring

ibstrokin
06-29-2013, 08:53 AM
You might be able to use a cotter pin in the primer pocket, then manually insert the bullet.

BIGHONKEY
07-02-2013, 08:13 AM
You could fill the bottom of the shell with silicone (say 1/4"-3/8") let it dry then load the ashes seat the bullet then drill the hole, install ring. No leakage.

I can do it if you need help. I have brass and bullets and dies etc.. for 44mag.

Maybe drill the hole first, I don't think it will come out. Or maybe ultra black or something.

DeckerEnt
07-04-2013, 10:46 PM
The filling the case part way with silicone, add the ashs, then seating the bullit, then drilling sounds like the best bet here.

chris91
07-05-2013, 12:55 AM
I think thatll be the way its done. Good thing the .44 shell is fairly large. :D

BIGHONKEY
07-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Let me know if you need help doing it. I have all the stuff needed and would be happy to help. I have some Hornady XTP bullets that look bad ass too!

I am in Maineville

chris91
07-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Havent done this yet as we are in the middle of packing and moving. Once I get everything settled I will get this done. I want to use the bullets I already have as my dad put these in the Holster he had made for the .44 before he passed.

BIGHONKEY
07-18-2013, 04:04 PM
gotcha I have a bullet puller. No prob.