PDA

View Full Version : 01 Durango Front end grind/pop loud!

satan jamez
07-20-2013, 12:07 AM
01 Durango 4.7 108K Recently replaced upper and lower ball joints with maybe 8k miles on them now. Tie rod ends tight. All bushings, links, rack, all tight.

Front end metal on metal noise when the car is in motion and the suspension moves even the slightest. When parked you can jump on the bumper all day and it's silent. If you turn the wheel it'll make the same sound but only when the vehicle is moving. It's 2wd/4wd and it doesn't matter what the diff switch is turned to.

It sounds like hundreds on little rocks are chattering away. Immediately upon the issue today my steering wheel is no longer straight. It's turned about 15 degrees to the left. The truck still tracks straight and has no play in the steering wheel.

Wheel bearings feel great, no play when I grab the tires and move them when the truck is jacked up.

It is extremely loud, needs to be in motion and the front suspension has to move up or down.

Please advise,
Bob

mustang8998
07-20-2013, 07:12 AM
CV joints in the front axle(s)?

I don't see them making the wheel not straight. That, I find a little disturbing and don't know if I would drive it.

satan jamez
07-20-2013, 07:33 AM
I'm going to start with the CV joints for sure. The wheel not straight has me head scratching. It won't be driven till it's resolved.

mustangjon
07-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Control arm bushings aren't shot are they ?

capri5.0
07-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Was it aligned after new suspension parts installed? If so the upper control arms could be moving in the slots due to the alignment tech not getting them tight enough. They would be tight enough where you can't see or feel movement but will move under the weight if the vehicle. I see it all the time at work.

satan jamez
07-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Update: I had a look at the front drive shaft. It needs replaced as the transmission end is warn. So I removed it and test drove the truck. The symptoms haven't changed.

Perhaps it is the CV axles after all. I didn't replace them yet as they have no play and visually look fantastic.

Please advise.

Tire-discounters did the alignment after I replaced all 4 ball joints. New tires were installed too. It has 8K miles since then. What has me concerned is the steering wheel is now turned 15 degrees to the left now. Very weird.

satan jamez
07-20-2013, 04:30 PM
If it were the control arm bushings wouldn't I be able to duplicate the noise by jumping on the bumper while the truck is parked?

mustangjon
07-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Try to torque the upper control arm bolts as Capri stated they can work loose but that noise is usually a solid clunking not usually any grind. Typically would have made the noise very soon if not immediately after we aligned it. Cv joints pretty much just make a clicking.

mustangjon
07-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Give me a call if u want. 859 466 1635

satan jamez
07-22-2013, 07:31 PM
I figured it out. The leafspring bushings are shot. 1 is gone and it's metal on metal. This too could explain why my steering wheel is a tad off since the truck is sitting crooked. What a weird problem to diagnose considering where I thought the sound was coming from. I can duplicate it if I get the rear suspension moving by jumping on it a few times.

I ordered some Energy Suspension bushings for the who truck. What a P.I.T.A that'll be. I've been soaking the bolts in PB Blast.

mustangjon
07-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Put bushings in freezer for a bit before installing to shrink

satan jamez
07-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Damn good idea sir!

Update: It turns out I have a broken leafspring. What a recent money pit this has become. Oh well, new springs ordered. Yes, I'm replacing both sides.

satan jamez
07-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Not too terrible of a job replacing leafsprings. Problem solved.

Lock it up!

Thanks for your help. The control arm bushing suggestion led me to the leafspring problem.