PDA

View Full Version : New speakers. One quieter?

4n_eatr
08-01-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm good with electrical, but speakers and amps and all wiring and RMS wattage... I don't get... So, I finally sold my system and then I realized my right rear speaker was blown and the left rear didn't work at all. I replaced both speaker and the left rear is quieter than the right rear. Could this be because the wires are backwards? Or is it corrosion/ bad connection somewhere or the head unit? What kind of resistance should I be getting from the speaker to the radio through the wire? They're pioneer 6x8s and I have a Pioneer head unit.

chris91
08-01-2013, 06:21 PM
You sure the balance isn't set to one side on the radio? Or yeah having the wires backwards will make it sound off.

4n_eatr
08-01-2013, 06:26 PM
The balance on the radio is set to center, fade and balance. I just hooked it up the way I unhooked it. Ill try switching them and see if it makes a difference. Might be the reason the other one went bad.

chris91
08-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Your car doesn't have the Mach460 stereo does it? If so that is your problem. The amps for the Mach stereo are meant for a different ohm than normal speakers.

4n_eatr
08-01-2013, 08:11 PM
No it doesn't. I switched the wires and it sounded the same. I'm seeing approx .6 ohms on the left side and .4 on the right. So I'm assuming there's a connection problem or wire rubbing through somewhere. Does that resistance sound about right?

chris91
08-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Not sure about that. Redfirepearlgt might know.

ibstrokin
08-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Each speaker should be 4 ohms, not .4 or .6. If you have one speaker out of phase( wire connected backwards) it wouldn't be quieter on one side, it would sound horrible and have no bass. It doesn't matter if your speakers are wired correctly or backwards/reversed, as long as they are both wired the same (in phase). Meter each speaker at the speaker, with the wires off, if they are each 4 ohm, then they are fine. If one is 6 and the other is 4, then the 6 ohm will be quieter, because its not pulling as much power as the 4 ohm speaker.

If they are both 4 ohm, measure from the radio harness. If they are both the same from the radio harness then you probably have a problem in the radio. If they are .4 or .6, that is too low and will eventually burn up your radio.

4n_eatr
08-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Ok thanks. Ill try that when I get home. It may have been 4 and 6, not .4/.6. Ill have to pull the rear deck and see if the wires are pinched somewhere if that's it.

redfirepearlgt
08-05-2013, 11:18 AM
YES JUSTIN! If you wire tow speakers opposite each other they will be out of phase. THis will cause a massive loss in volume as well as richness of sound. Speakers emit sound in the direction they move for no simpler explanation. If one speaker is "sucking in" on a bass drum hit while the other is "pushing out" that will effectively cancel the note awhich will audbily be heard as loss of sound or fullness AKA richness. All four speakers have to be wired exactly the same. THis will allow maximum sound.

As mentioned as well if hte replacement speaker is a higher impedance (resistance value) than the others it will not be as loud either. It is NEVER a good idea to mix speakers. Always replace in pairs unless replacing with a like model and brand. This is with regard to main speakers in pairs as it applies to front and rear. One may choose to run one brnad i nthe front with another in the rear for whatever reason. Subs as well may often be a different brand than the mains. When you get into components that is a different story also. Tule of thumb...what model you have on the right needs ot be mathced on the left with the same. And yes all speakers are rated at 2,4,6,8 ohms. Most main speakers will be rated 2 ohm or 4 ohm (aftermarket). Factory OEM systems will have some odd impedance values. Becareful when using aftermarket speakers with a factory application that you do not use a lower impedance speaker. This could damage the amplifier/headunit.

4n_eatr
08-18-2013, 10:08 PM
Just an update. It was the head unit. I thought it was a pioneer but it was a Panasonic. Just put a new Alpine in it and it works fine.

chris91
08-19-2013, 12:21 AM
Good deal, glad to hear you figured it out.

redfirepearlgt
08-22-2013, 08:04 AM
Just an update. It was the head unit. I thought it was a pioneer but it was a Panasonic. Just put a new Alpine in it and it works fine.

Glad you got it resolved. I missed the part about the car having an aftermarket system in it. Speakers do have difference impedance. Depends on the mfgr. On most full range apeakers resitance across the col should read 4 ohms. Some mfgrs do make 2 ohm speakers. On SUBS however there are many cofigurations inclusing dual voice coil configs tha will allow flexibility to do diffferent things. OEM factory stuff may have some weird impedance values as well. Remember that most speakers have the impedeance value stamped on the back of he magnet. NONE will read less than 1ohm. That is a shorted voice coil as a rule.

Last you cannot check a speaker accurately with it still connected to the headunit. It must be isolated to check impedance on the coil. See you guys soon? Chad