PDA

View Full Version : Valve adjustment on a solid roller 351w?

84fox
08-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Anybody know how to properly adjust the valves on a solid roller motor 351w? I have aluminum heads and did it like this.......I first adjusted the exhaust valve as the intake began to close at .018 and did the intake when the exhaust began to open at.016 lash. I got the lash specs right from my cam card. I fired the bad boy up and I'm getting all kinds of valve train noise. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Kwik92GT
08-04-2013, 10:18 PM
This is how I was taught.

When the engine is hot (at operating temperature), pick the cylinder that you are going to adjust.

Hand turn the engine in its normal direction of rotation, while watching the exhaust valve on that cylinder.

When the exhaust valve begins to open, stop and adjust that cylinder's intake valve.

After the intake valve has been adjusted, continue to rotate the engine, watching that same intake valve.

The intake valve will go to full lift and then begin to close. When the intake is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust valve.

Move to your next cylinder and do it all over again until all the cylinders have been adjusted.

Sounds like this is what you did. Did you set the valves hot or cold? If you are setting them cold, with aluminum heads, you need to take away about .006 from the hot setting. So, if your cam is recommended to be set at .028 hot your going to want to set them at .022 cold, that'll usually get you right on or very close to the proper hot setting. If I set mine cold I like to go back when it's hot and check a cylinder to make sure it's right. Usually is. Hope this helps.

84fox
08-04-2013, 10:39 PM
My spec card says .016 intake and .018 exhaust . I'm assuming it means cold because it does not specify so does that mean I set them at .010 and .012? Since I need to take .006 out due to the aluminum heads?

Kwik92GT
08-04-2013, 10:52 PM
My spec card says .016 intake and .018 exhaust . I'm assuming it means cold because it does not specify so does that mean I set them at .010 and .012? Since I need to take .006 out due to the aluminum heads?

Typically a card will list the hot lash unless otherwise stated. So yes, if your supposed to be at .016 and .018 hot, your going to want to be at .010 and .012 cold with the aluminum heads.

Remember to check a cylinder or two after the engine gets to normal operating temp to be sure you are at the correct .016 and .018 hot. If not, make note of whether you need to add or subtract from your cold lash setting to get you where you need to be.

84fox
08-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Awesome thank you for the help it was definitely needed!