View Full Version : what about this???

redfirepearlgt
09-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Trade Oscar for this 2004 Cobra? 2.3 whipple 22K on the clock. Clean. Yeah I know torch red, but its growing on me. 23.9K is the asking price. It was a local trade and not an auction car. The last owner is close by and available.

Aside from it being a convertible any concerns with it as an 04 and a build date of 1/2004? Here is the link to the car. Only other concern i have is how it was driven if it still has the IRS in it with that HP and those DR's on the back.

http://www.exotic-motors.com/detail-2004-ford-mustang-2dr_conv_svt_cobra-used-11003399.html

draggin50
09-10-2013, 12:28 PM
I love the Torch Red but I'm not a big fan of verts. Super nice car though.

04 Venom
09-10-2013, 12:40 PM
If handling is important to you, as opposed to straight line performance, you will be disappointed compared to your current ride.

To get my o4 Cobra to handle the way I wanted required lowering springs (Steeda), lower K-member brace (Maximum Motorsports), full-length sub-frame braces welded in (also MM), strut tower brace (MM) and IRS lower bracket braces. The vert will never be as stiff as a fixed roof.

Truthfully, I'd pass.

redfirepearlgt
09-10-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm a straight line guy. The IRS wit hthat HP level does concern me if it is not reinforced with the appropriate upgrades aside from going SRA. As for convertible I guess I am getting older so a vert is something I am kinda thinking of. Plus they are easier to find than the coupes. I'd prefer SY but the only one I have seen even close to a reasonable price is 500 miles away and has 37K on it. Not to mention it is a six owner and been coast to coast literally. THis one has remained in a semi local area and its not an auction block car. But chances are I won't. Just dreaming and thinking and ctalking as so many others do on here as well. Should they come back with an awesome offer, and plenty of information on the mods I may do it anyway. Like MSWoods says, the price on them will hold or only go up. Time will tell.

leroy93lx
09-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Here is a yellow vert.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ctd/4023825612.html

The red is pretty sexy. Be real sexy about 3 inches lower!

9cobra4
09-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Eww Zinc Yellow. Haha

redfirepearlgt
09-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Will not buy from an individual. Too much hassle. A dealer is there to sell cars. You either strike a deal with them or you don't and move on. No hit/miss no shows, no oh btw, no I changed my mind, no oh its my buddies car and he has the title...but I can get it, no, "oh I was not aware it was a salvage title...

So I pay a little more for that. And they handle all the paperwork. Done. It would have to be a very unique and special ordeal to buy private. Like maybe a 66 convertible, or 68.

BTW I had an 02 GT in zinc yellow already. It was not a bad looking car.

satan jamez
09-10-2013, 03:11 PM
I'd do it. Terminators were not around very long, verts are probably fun and the current stangs are a dime a dozen.

cstreu1026
09-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Didn't you just spend a huge chunk on a super charger that maintained the warranty and now you want to trade the car for a 10 year old modified car with no warranty?

rtvickers
09-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Nice looking ride.

mustangboy
09-10-2013, 03:51 PM
I'll buy your car for $25k and then you can go pay cash for that one:bigthumb

redfirepearlgt
09-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Didn't you just spend a huge chunk on a super charger that maintained the warranty and now you want to trade the car for a 10 year old modified car with no warranty?

Yes. And If I can't work a deal the benefits both me and the seller then it won't happen. I won't go upside down. I never buy cars and expect to make a profit on them. I am not in the car sales business. I buy them to have fun with them. That is the cost of having fun. BUT I won't roll upside down on a deal just to get into another car either. So if this place wants to work a mutually acceptable deal and provide me the data and information I have requested AND brings the last owner in as they said they would, I may be up for it. Otherwise Oscar stays in the garage until I find that SY 2004 terminator I want.

redfirepearlgt
09-10-2013, 04:49 PM
I'll buy your car for $25k and then you can go pay cash for that one:bigthumb

yawn.......... uh I don't think so.

4n_eatr
09-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Here is a yellow vert.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ctd/4023825612.html

The red is pretty sexy. Be real sexy about 3 inches lower!

This is a dealer...

pegasus
09-10-2013, 05:13 PM
i say stick with oscar

sean
09-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Get it. Old people love the convertibles.

rtvickers
09-10-2013, 05:23 PM

And Sean evens the score! ZING!!!

SN95N/A
09-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Id keep 5.0,thats nice car you got chad.

redfirepearlgt
09-10-2013, 06:03 PM

Hey cranky! The PMS has subsided today? You seem more your old self today. Awesome.

rtvickers
09-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Hey cranky! The PMS has subsided today? You seem more your old self today. Awesome.

Ding! +1 Lol

redfirepearlgt
09-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Id keep 5.0,thats nice car you got chad.

Thanks man. I know I sound like a broken record, but there is a side of me that just wants a terminator. But I won't do it until I find one I am comfortable with. That may be never. Who knows. OH well.

mad max
09-10-2013, 06:29 PM
I love terminators as much as the next guy but would have a hard time trading a new 5.0 liter with a supercharger for one . Is there something about the new 5.0s that is rubbing everyone the wrong way ? I see a lot of people getting rid of them . In about 6 months I will in position to buy a new 5.0 or a terminator , so I am watching this situation closely . I hope you don't mind chad . LOL

redfirepearlgt
09-10-2013, 07:39 PM
I love terminators as much as the next guy but would have a hard time trading a new 5.0 liter with a supercharger for one . Is there something about the new 5.0s that is rubbing everyone the wrong way ? I see a lot of people getting rid of them . In about 6 months I will in position to buy a new 5.0 or a terminator , so I am watching this situation closely . I hope you don't mind chad . LOL

Its more me than anything to be honest. I like the car but I don't wake up wanting to go take it for a drive every day like I did the 05 that had way fewer options and nowhere near as bright in color or got as much attention. There was just something fun about that car even though it only made 427RWHP with the initial SC package on it, which is likely 70-90 down from what this car is making with just an SC upgrade package on it.

I see and read the write ups on these terminators and I am amazed at what people are doing with them. Take the one I have posted. 585 RWHP. And many rate the block and internals (stock) to 800RWHP ability, and have proved it. May tuners are very up on the 4V terminator engine. That is a big plus as well when it comes to upgrades and tuning. The stock Coyote has a forged crank but is still running powdered metal connecting rods, not forged unless you get into a Boss 302 setup. Many state it should not exceed 675 flywheel HP and remain safe. Roush discourages the 675 upgrade package for stock 302 Coyote engines due to their concern over bottom end limitations as I understand it, though many are running it and few have had issues with that TVS setup or Roush TVS tuner packages running other tunes.

Everyone knows the rep of the terminator and they know that they are quickly disappearing. Try to find an unmolested 04. Good luck and you will pay out the nose. The 03 is a little easier to find because there were many more made that year. But they as well are getting harder to find unmolested.

IN the end know that I am not slamming the car. But I will close with this. Had there been another GT on that lot in GHIG or Candy apple Red with an auto and very similar options, I would have gone that route over the manual shift even though the manual shift is more fun to drive. I drove both. The only one remotely near what I was looking at in the GHIG I have was a silver car. I've had enough silver/gray cars over the years.

Hope this helps.

mustang_gt88
09-10-2013, 08:24 PM
I say do the damn thing. Oscar is ba with a lighting bolt, but termi is a bigger lighting bolt lol

draggin50
09-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Ive owned a lot of Mustangs and by far the 03 Cobra is the funnest car I have owned. It may not be the fastest yet but each time I get in it, I am smiles from ear to ear! You will not regret getting one I think! The sound is awesome and always gets looks.

rtvickers
09-10-2013, 08:40 PM
I'll swap you cars for awhile. So when you miss Oscar we can swap back. Deal? I just did a tune up....the beast is back?

redfirepearlgt
09-10-2013, 08:52 PM
I'll swap you cars for awhile. So when you miss Oscar we can swap back. Deal? I just did a tune up....the beast is back?

And what happens if I don't miss Oscar? Hmmm???? Or what happens if you don't miss VADER??? Then we have us a dilemma. I just need to make a commitment to go look at one of these suckers and work something out. I'm going back to the autotrader page website and druel some more.

rtvickers
09-10-2013, 09:00 PM
After you wash the Black Mamba once a day just to keep the dust off of it, you'll miss Oscar. Even with it in a garage.

redfirepearlgt
09-10-2013, 09:25 PM
After you wash the Black Mamba once a day just to keep the dust off of it, you'll miss Oscar. Even with it in a garage.

Dude I'm not gonna touch that one with a twenty foot pole. LOL!

04 Venom
09-10-2013, 11:05 PM
Its more me than anything to be honest. I like the car but I don't wake up wanting to go take it for a drive every day like I did the 05 that had way fewer options and nowhere near as bright in color or got as much attention. There was just something fun about that car even though it only made 427RWHP with the initial SC package on it, which is likely 70-90 down from what this car is making with just an SC upgrade package on it.

I see and read the write ups on these terminators and I am amazed at what people are doing with them. Take the one I have posted. 585 RWHP. And many rate the block and internals (stock) to 800RWHP ability, and have proved it. May tuners are very up on the 4V terminator engine. That is a big plus as well when it comes to upgrades and tuning. The stock Coyote has a forged crank but is still running powdered metal connecting rods, not forged unless you get into a Boss 302 setup. Many state it should not exceed 675 flywheel HP and remain safe. Roush discourages the 675 upgrade package for stock 302 Coyote engines due to their concern over bottom end limitations as I understand it, though many are running it and few have had issues with that TVS setup or Roush TVS tuner packages running other tunes.

Everyone knows the rep of the terminator and they know that they are quickly disappearing. Try to find an unmolested 04. Good luck and you will pay out the nose. The 03 is a little easier to find because there were many more made that year. But they as well are getting harder to find unmolested.

IN the end know that I am not slamming the car. But I will close with this. Had there been another GT on that lot in GHIG or Candy apple Red with an auto and very similar options, I would have gone that route over the manual shift even though the manual shift is more fun to drive. I drove both. The only one remotely near what I was looking at in the GHIG I have was a silver car. I've had enough silver/gray cars over the years.

Hope this helps.

Sounds like you have an itch that you're just going to have to scratch.

redfirepearlgt
09-11-2013, 12:01 AM
Sounds like you have an itch that you're just going to have to scratch.

Yip just depends on if a buyer wants to play ball or just low ball. If the latter I'll keep what I have for another season. Never hurts to inquire.

mad max
09-11-2013, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the info chad , I drove seans car when it was on wylers lot . I liked the car , hated the tranny . On the test drive there was a black terminator on 32 , only problem was he was going the other way . Would have liked to done a comparision test on which one was faster , but that's the way it works . I have yet to drive a newer 5.0 in an auto yet and the only terminator I have test driven was a convertible . Not big on the convertible . So much like you , my search continues on .

mad max
09-11-2013, 06:55 AM

He isn't lying about this . A black car is no fun to own unless she is all clean.

rtvickers
09-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the info chad , I drove seans car when it was on wylers lot . I liked the car , hated the tranny . On the test drive there was a black terminator on 32 , only problem was he was going the other way . Would have liked to done a comparision test on which one was faster , but that's the way it works . I have yet to drive a newer 5.0 in an auto yet and the only terminator I have test driven was a convertible . Not big on the convertible . So much like you , my search continues on .

It was probably me you saw. I live in that area off 32.

redfirepearlgt
09-11-2013, 08:39 AM

I've wondered what stock v stock would be like. Would also depend on the gearing of the 11+. Never had that chance. Tommy and I played after I put he SC on mine. He has about 70HP on me and pulled easy from a roll just playin.

redfirepearlgt
09-11-2013, 08:40 AM
He isn't lying about this . A black car is no fun to own unless she is all clean.

I owned two in a row. Then learned life is more grand when not washing a car every day. But they look nice when they are clean.

cstreu1026
09-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Yes. And If I can't work a deal the benefits both me and the seller then it won't happen. I won't go upside down. I never buy cars and expect to make a profit on them. I am not in the car sales business. I buy them to have fun with them. That is the cost of having fun. BUT I won't roll upside down on a deal just to get into another car either. So if this place wants to work a mutually acceptable deal and provide me the data and information I have requested AND brings the last owner in as they said they would, I may be up for it. Otherwise Oscar stays in the garage until I find that SY 2004 terminator I want.

Forget being upsides down, you have a car that's 1 model year old that I would guess cost you a pretty penny and you spent even more having an approved dealer install the supercharger to maintain the warranty. Without knowing the exact numbers I would say anything less than walking away with the 04 and a $10K check would completely foolish and you would still have a car that has probably been driven hard and has no warranty. After all who puts a Kenne Bell or Whipple on a car just to put around town?

1987LXVert
09-11-2013, 03:29 PM
That's a tough one Chad. Terminators are very fun but ole green there is a beauty!!!

rtvickers
09-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Not only is it a beauty, some of the on board computer stuff is kick ass. Not mention the lights on the mirrors that shine on the ground that I absolutely love. And a more comfortable ride. In 2000 I bought a brand new SS Camaro that had just about every option available. It was very nice and had decent power that seemed controlled. But this Terminator doesn't really have any nice nice features. Nice seats and stereo. That's about it. But it just raw power and stupid fast compared to the SS. I feel like Oscar and the Black Mamba are a closer comparison. You could achieve the power results and have a much nicer and eye catching ride. You'll just have to wait. And I think that's the problem. The wait and the some of the restrictions of a newer car with a warranty and a stock semi forged 5.0. The terminator is something that you don't have to worry about warranties you can beat the piss out of and not worry about it breaking. And if you do break it well, we'll just rebuild it bigger faster stronger. It isn't like we haven't been inside of one those motors before. I know how it is to want something and don't care what it takes as long as its a good deal. If I REALLY want something that I cant stop thinking about, Im going to get it. Reguardless of what anyone says. Even if I only have it for a very short time. At least I had it and scratched the itch. And can stop thinking about it at that point. Good luck with the search. Im sure your due diligence will pay off. Anytime you have the itch and want to scratch it, just hit me up and you can come bust the Black Mamba's balls. Lol

chris91
09-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Have you seen the black vert on Craigslist with the true forged wheels and 600+ hp? That thing is badass! Sorry don't have a link, on my phone ATM.

blown96cobra
09-11-2013, 04:55 PM
I have both a whippled 5.0 and a 700hp terminator. As far as the fun factor goes.....the whippled 5.0 hands down the brute power of the terminator and the scream of the ported Eaton is hard to beat but let's face it theres a lot that can go wrong on the terminators. If I had it to choose it would be the 5.0 car its more comfortable, it has a much better audio system and theres no IRS issues to worry about yea I know the bottom end of the 5.0 is a lot weaker but I'm not afraid of swapping a boss short block In ours. Maybe u should come take a ride in this thing and see what ur about to give up on.

chris91
09-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Here's the link to the one I was talking about.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4045401420.html

redfirepearlgt
09-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Here's the link to the one I was talking about.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4045401420.html

Nice car but he is overly proud of it. It will sit for a long, long time at that price, regardless of the add ons.

redfirepearlgt
09-11-2013, 06:05 PM
I have both a whippled 5.0 and a 700hp terminator. As far as the fun factor goes.....the whippled 5.0 hands down the brute power of the terminator and the scream of the ported Eaton is hard to beat but let's face it theres a lot that can go wrong on the terminators. If I had it to choose it would be the 5.0 car its more comfortable, it has a much better audio system and theres no IRS issues to worry about yea I know the bottom end of the 5.0 is a lot weaker but I'm not afraid of swapping a boss short block In ours. Maybe u should come take a ride in this thing and see what ur about to give up on.

Is the 302 car (5.0) an auto or a manual? I agree with you on the audio and the interior. Believe me mine has the comfort group with upgraded leather, sep climate control, heated seats, dual power seats, lighting, blah, NAV shaker 500, and so forth. Just feels like I am not sitting in a mustang when I drive it. More like I am in a Lincoln. You do have a point on the bottom end. THat can be much more cheaply resolved with a boss short block than options that were previously available for 3v 281 engines in the S197 family. Good food for thought. Right now mine is rated 575 FRHP. Never gotten to the dyno to see the real numbers at the ground yet. Also if you happen to be running a manual setup in that 5.0 are you running an upgrade clutch package and if so which one did you go with? Thanks.

I know each time I start one of these threads I end up backing off the deal or changing my mind. But hey this is a mustang website and its fun just to shoot the breeze and talk since no one ever seems to be able to or wants to get out and hang out anywhere any more. I gave up inviting people, so here we are doing virtual cruise ins. Thanks for all the feedback and input. I have yet to hear back from the place I talked to. Guess they aren't interested.

smytty
09-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Get ya a Termi Chad.. Im in the same boat as you, i liked my 04 much more then the 13... The 13 will be up for sale in a few weeks and then its shopping again...

I think they look better also.. Stock my 04 ran 13.4 @106-108 so its a tad behind the 13...
Also they cant be that bad to ride in, do you see what a used set of seats go for lol...

chris91
09-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Nice car but he is overly proud of it. It will sit for a long, long time at that price, regardless of the add ons.

Never know, he may be willing to deal.

redfirepearlgt
09-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Never know, he may be willing to deal.

Didn't see the additional pics until now. Upon closer look no. Not into racing buckets and roll bars. The car is too done to make it mine. It would always be, "hey isn't that _________'s old car?" Thanks though.

mad max
09-11-2013, 08:03 PM
It was probably me you saw. I live in that area off 32.

Wasn't you . No tinted windows and it had the factory satin wheels on it.

rtvickers
09-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Wasn't you . No tinted windows and it had the factory satin wheels on it.

Ah I see. Good to know. I'll keep an eye out for it.

PKFIRE
09-11-2013, 08:11 PM
I still don't understand why trade a new 5.0 GT in for a Terminator. I'll have to test drive a new GT sometime.

SN95N/A
09-11-2013, 08:14 PM
He will never do it he just gets the itch every now and then.lol

sean
09-11-2013, 08:18 PM
My new gt had a total lack of hot rod feel to it. It was nice but . To smooth. I like a toy to be a bit it more hot roddy.

smytty
09-11-2013, 10:08 PM
I still don't understand why trade a new 5.0 GT in for a Terminator. I'll have to test drive a new GT sometime.If your ever in Hamiltucky you can drive mine... They are nice but not my cup of tea..
I have my eyes on a completley stock 04, 70kmiles... Oh yeah...

redfirepearlgt
09-11-2013, 10:14 PM
I still don't understand why trade a new 5.0 GT in for a Terminator. I'll have to test drive a new GT sometime.

Can't explain it Joe.

redfirepearlgt
09-11-2013, 10:17 PM
My new gt had a total lack of hot rod feel to it. It was nice but . To smooth. I like a toy to be a bit it more hot roddy.

That's it. Just too smooth. Candy (jons fiancé) rode in it with me and commented on how smooth the acceleration was. I think you hit the nail on the head. That and I just don't like the tone created by the changed out firing order as much as the classic previous engines Ford put in mustangs. Just sounds different. It does not sound like a classic Ford going down the street with aftermarket exhaust on it.

redfirepearlgt
09-11-2013, 10:20 PM
He will never do it he just gets the itch every now and then.lol

And you are likely right unless a gorgeous SY 04 shows up here locally (unstriped LOL) with less than 4 owners, low miles and a clean car fax. Until then I will keep dreaming.

PKFIRE
09-12-2013, 12:36 AM
If your ever in Hamiltucky you can drive mine... They are nice but not my cup of tea..
I have my eyes on a completley stock 04, 70kmiles... Oh yeah...

I'm just up the road from you. I might take you up on your offer.

Whyucryn
09-12-2013, 12:54 AM
I don't even see how you could consider taking a step backwards. I don't know of one thing that's better about a terminator that's better than your current 5.0 car. I don't think I could trade 1 of your car for 2 terminators.

mustang8998
09-12-2013, 03:56 AM
I don't know of one thing that's better about a terminator that's better than your current 5.0 car.

Apparently, the firing order...

:lol:

redfirepearlgt
09-12-2013, 09:20 AM
You'll just have to wait. And I think that's the problem. The wait and the some of the restrictions of a newer car with a warranty and a stock semi forged 5.0. The terminator is something that you don't have to worry about warranties you can beat the piss out of and not worry about it breaking. And if you do break it well, we'll just rebuild it bigger faster stronger. It isn't like we haven't been inside of one those motors before.

Thats it more than anything Tommy. Yip thats more it than everything else. I know I paid for warrnties when buying a new car. Knowing that makes me apprehensive about doing anything that will void those warranties. Knowing I paid money for them and knowing that some. And its the first new mustang I ever owned. Also I feel kinda like I am wearing a tuxedo to a beach party when I am in it if that makes any sense. I feel kinda overdressed in it at times. Guess as time goes buy that will subside.

And yes, knowing there are a slew of guys/gals in the area that know a 281 4V (I'm sick of using metric) cobra engine gives me peace of mind when it would crap out. I know there is a wealth of info when it comes to helping me figure it all out. Not to mention Adam as well can tune the beejeeves out of a 281 of any type, as can many other shops in Cincinnati. But I can't just say screw the warranty either after having paid money for a new car. So there we are. You helped me nail down my biggest hang up on it. Thanks. I'll let you take it for a spin on the terminator cruise.

redfirepearlgt
09-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Apparently, the firing order...

:lol:

I know that sounds queer, but drive one sometime if you haven't already. They just don't sound the same as they did. Mid to upper RPM they sound way different. In fact I just heard a mustang go by the house as I am sitting here. Its that distinct mustang sound pre 11.

4n_eatr
09-12-2013, 11:47 AM
I say pre '05 mustangs had a distinctive sound. I can be inside and hear a 86-04 Mustang go by and instantly know its a mustang. Once they went to an Axle-back system they lost me. Started getting them mixed up with Camaros. So yes, I'll agree the Cobra will sound better, but honestly you know you want a SY Cobra... Nothing else. Not a red, black, blue or pink one, don't settle on one that's "growing on you". Get what you want or you'll never be happy. That's why there isn't a Fox in my driveway because when I get one, it will be a teal or black 93 Cobra.