PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!! 2000 Mustang GT TICKING Noise

mf959100GT
09-13-2013, 01:05 PM
So like the title says I've got some sort of ticking noise on my 2000 GT...Sounds like an exhaust leak but after looking things up online I'm not sure. So when the car is idling it sounds like an exhaust leak, when I rev it up a little bit the ticking gets louder and faster, to me thats an exhaust leak but I researched it a little and other people have had similar issues with the 4.6l and it turned out to the the timing chain tensioner....I listened from the engine bay and somewhat under the car (as far as my head could fit) and its definatly louder under and on the drivers side....any help is appreciated, and if I sound like an idiot its all good that what happens when your a full time college student working 40 hours a week as well lol.....Thanks in advanced

Specs:
2000 GT
5 speed
75mm Throttle body
BBK Off-road x-pipe with flowmaster super 44s

rtvickers
09-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Put it up on jack stands and get under it. It could an exhaust manifold gasket. What exhaust setup do you have.

mf959100GT
09-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Off road x into flows, I could stop by later tonight after work if you'll be home and let you hear it lol

rtvickers
09-13-2013, 01:34 PM
What time later. It's my girlfriends mothers BDay but we shouldn't be out late. Do you have stock manifolds.

mf959100GT
09-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Yeah and like 1030

rtvickers
09-13-2013, 01:41 PM
That's cool. Here's my number text me. 859 322 3159.

Dirtyd0g
09-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Probably a little bit of carbon in one of the lash adjusters, add 1/2 quart of atf to the oil should break it right up. I run a little atf in all my engines to clean out the carbon.
Alan

2kSVT
09-15-2013, 05:11 PM
Mine was doing this..no exhaust leak and I changed all of the valve lash adjusters.
It still had the chatter. My Saleen is a garage queen so it sits alot. I drove it to work a few days and it got louder and was outside of the previous 2500-3000 rpm range.

Mike Bell came by and listened to it/went for a ride...rod bearing on it's last leg :(

Hope it's nothing major, but it is probably the chain tensioner if it is higher mileage motor.
My 78,000 mile one is ready to spin a bearing.

Instead of paint this winter, it appears I will be saving for a forged motor build.

Rod

redfirepearlgt
09-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Forged engines go much faster than fresh paint. LOL!

mf959100GT
09-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Well I changed the oil yesterday and it was still ticking, met up with Tommy (rtvickers) and he thinks it's a small exhaust leak since you only hear it from under the car not up top or towards the front. Oh and that's again Tommy for the ride in the cobra, that thing is a monster gotta get me one lol

redfirepearlgt
09-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Oh and that's again Tommy for the ride in the cobra, that thing is a monster gotta get me one lol

Tell me about it. I've driven it. Tommmy is a great guy. He is very humble about how well that car performs. He calls it...ready for this? Black Mamba.

I had to look it up.

mf959100GT
09-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Tell me about it. I've driven it. Tommmy is a great guy. He is very humble about how well that car performs. He calls it...ready for this? Black Mamba.

I had to look it up.

Lol at one point he says "it's slow right" :lol: then I got back to my slow gt

00 4V Stang
09-16-2013, 02:13 PM
My buddies gt had a ticking noise which ended in a rod snapping or wrist pin breaking. Not sure on which but piston had a meeting with the head..

rtvickers
09-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Well I changed the oil yesterday and it was still ticking, met up with Tommy (rtvickers) and he thinks it's a small exhaust leak since you only hear it from under the car not up top or towards the front. Oh and that's again Tommy for the ride in the cobra, that thing is a monster gotta get me one lol

Anytime. Next time you drive. It sounded to me like it was coming from where the manifold and the xpipe connect. It was very faint but it sound to me like a HSSSHSSS not a tick tick tick. But its hard to tell from just putting my head next to the tire. Id have to get under the car to really see what it is. To me it wasnt very loud. Next time it does it and its lound record it if you can and post it up.

rtvickers
09-16-2013, 05:57 PM

I had to look it up.

Lol at one point he says "it's slow right" :lol: then I got back to my slow gt

You guys are funny and just trying to be nice. And I verified today that my intercooler pump took a dump yesterday on the joy ride with Mike. It spit out a little antifreeze during it. Charge temps are up around 150-160. A new pump is on its way.

I thought black mamba was stupid until I looked it up and read about them. Very badass snake. I haven't officially named the car that yet. I don't think I can make it work on a plate. So its out as of now.

jeep45238
09-16-2013, 09:00 PM
What about just BLK SNK?

redfirepearlgt
09-16-2013, 09:11 PM
You guys are funny and just trying to be nice. And I verified today that my intercooler pump took a dump yesterday on the joy ride with Mike. It spit out a little antifreeze during it. Charge temps are up around 150-160. A new pump is on its way.

I thought black mamba was stupid until I looked it up and read about them. Very badass snake. I haven't officially named the car that yet. I don't think I can make it work on a plate. So its out as of now.

I thought you had it on order already. I like the name. Was just razzing you about Al and Jessie needing to sign off on it. Why not retag it in Ohio using girlfriend's address? Then you have 7 characters to use.

rtvickers
09-16-2013, 09:20 PM
I thought you had it on order already. I like the name. Was just razzing you about Al and Jessie needing to sign off on it. Why not retag it in Ohio using girlfriend's address? Then you have 7 characters to use.

No that pic was from their website where you can check to see if the plate is available. I know you were just razzing me. And that was a good one. You had me at first. Lol. I have a CDL in KY for work. Im not sure how that will effect things. I'll probably have to have an Ohio license. And I don't have to worry about that damn front plate in KY. It would be just another reason for Uselesstownship to mess with me. If I come across away to make that idea work Ill probably do it. But nothing that grabs me yet. Did you read the Wikipedia about it I posted on Gearheds?

redfirepearlgt
09-17-2013, 01:09 PM
No that pic was from their website where you can check to see if the plate is available. I know you were just razzing me. And that was a good one. You had me at first. Lol. I have a CDL in KY for work. Im not sure how that will effect things. I'll probably have to have an Ohio license. And I don't have to worry about that damn front plate in KY. It would be just another reason for Uselesstownship to mess with me. If I come across away to make that idea work Ill probably do it. But nothing that grabs me yet. Did you read the Wikipedia about it I posted on Gearheds?

Nah, I hate snakes. Fearthem to death. Maybe why I haven't pulled the switch on a Termiinator yet. LOL!

I'll take your word for it that they are mean and black.

rtvickers
09-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Nah, I hate snakes. Fearthem to death. Maybe why I haven't pulled the switch on a Termiinator yet. LOL!

I'll take your word for it that they are mean and black.

Lol. You sound like my girlfriend. She hates them too. Their not black. Just the inside of their mouth is black.

NXcoupe
09-18-2013, 08:31 AM

Well said! I lol'd on this one. Sorry Rod, not laughing at your misfortune, this just struck me as a true but funny quote.

NXcoupe
09-18-2013, 08:34 AM
So like the title says I've got some sort of ticking noise on my 2000 GT...Sounds like an exhaust leak but after looking things up online I'm not sure. So when the car is idling it sounds like an exhaust leak, when I rev it up a little bit the ticking gets louder and faster, to me thats an exhaust leak but I researched it a little and other people have had similar issues with the 4.6l and it turned out to the the timing chain tensioner....I listened from the engine bay and somewhat under the car (as far as my head could fit) and its definatly louder under and on the drivers side....any help is appreciated, and if I sound like an idiot its all good that what happens when your a full time college student working 40 hours a week as well lol.....Thanks in advanced

Specs:
2000 GT
5 speed
75mm Throttle body
BBK Off-road x-pipe with flowmaster super 44s

If you are ever in the Dayton area when I am in my garage, I'd be happy to put it up in the air for you and verify where the noise is coming from. I bet it's just a loose nut on the stud or the gasket has burned out.

mf959100GT
09-18-2013, 08:39 AM
If you are ever in the Dayton area when I am in my garage, I'd be happy to put it up in the air for you and verify where the noise is coming from. I bet it's just a loose nut on the stud or the gasket has burned out.

Hey I appreciate it, just never that far north lol. I'm gonna try putting it on jack stands Sunday and tightening the bolts on the x-pipe

2kSVT
09-19-2013, 10:07 PM

This is very true! If I drive fast enough you don't see the paint imperfections.

rtvickers
09-19-2013, 10:14 PM
This is very true! If I drive fast enough you don't see the paint imperfections.

Oh man. That's what Ive been doing wrong. My car isn't fast enough that's why you can see all the dirt and paint defects. I guess ill have to learn how to clean it better.

chris91
09-20-2013, 06:51 AM
That's it Tommy. If you call your car slow one more time I'm coming to revoke your cobra privileges and sticking you with a REAL slow car, my GT. :)

mf959100GT
09-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Well now I'm not sure what's going on, checked my oil yesterday and I was almost 1 quart low, I had someone I work with stand behind me yesterday when we left work to see if it smoked when I started it, nothing revved it nothing again. I look everywhere I park and see no oil spots and I don't smell any oil burning...I found a couple 4.6l motors on craigslist both out of new edges, one without heads for $250 obo and the other $150 obo, would it be worth it to buy one just in case lol....anyways I'm going to jack it up this weekend and see if there's any spots where oil has leaked

chris91
09-20-2013, 10:35 AM
How much oil do you put in it? I know Ford says 5 quarts but you should run 6. Also does the ticking sound like its coming from the driver side? Your EGR tube might be the culprit.

mf959100GT
09-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Well since Sunday I've put 5 quarts and a bottle of the Lucas oil stuff can't think of the name lol

mf959100GT
09-25-2013, 12:12 AM
So if everything goes to plan this Sunday I will be picking up a short block 4.6L to get ready for my car :D, oh and I'm getting it for $30 all that is said to be wrong with it is a scared piston. If the block is scared that is fine if it not too bad because I plan on taking it to a machine shop. My question is how much would it cost to take and have the block .030 over? Thanks in advanced

jeep45238
09-25-2013, 12:20 AM
Usually you're looking at $50-80 a hole to have it bored out. Personal opinion - not worth it.

I'd just have it honed to spec. I think you'll find the marginal cubes won't do a whole lot for power, and the ease of finding stock-dimensioned parts/availability is a very nice thing to have.

NXcoupe
09-25-2013, 07:05 AM
Usually 150 to 200 to have it bored and honed. Buy your pistons before you have it honed. Pistons vary in size, and the bore can be honed to give you the exact clearance required for your pistons.

mf959100GT
09-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Ok, long term plans for my car is eventually a supercharger, after I graduate and have a real job lol. So I want to rebuild this motor so it lasts till then and can handle the charger, I'm thinking of going with forged internals how much would that cost either stock spec or bored .030?

jeep45238
09-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Usually rotating assemblies don't vary a huge amount between stock bore and going bigger, it's the machine shop work to get everything in spec/balanced that will take up more time/money.

mf959100GT
09-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Time isn't an issue lol, just wondering how much it'll cost

Dirtyd0g
09-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Boring a modular excluding going to big bore with sleeves is only good for one thing, to make sure the walls are perfect. I usually have used blocks bored before installing new pistons just to prevent piston slap issues and make the holes round again. I don't see any other reason to do it with the bore and stroke of these motors you're lucky if you turn a 281 into a 282, the bore is so small it makes very little difference. Unlike a 302 or 350 where the larger bore of them actually makes a slight difference. I always take the pistons and rings to the person boring the motor so they can make the specs perfect.
Alan

na svt
09-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Pistons vary in size, and the bore can be honed to give you the exact clearance required for your pistons.

This is something that MMR doesn't understand

I don't see any other reason to do it with the bore and stroke of these motors you're lucky if you turn a 281 into a 282, the bore is so small it makes very little difference.

This is true, a .030" bore makes a the 4.6 from 281ci to 285ci. Stick with .020" over.

rtvickers
09-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Are you setting a budget on this build? I think everyone can predict what Im going to suggest.

redfirepearlgt
09-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Are you setting a budget on this build? I think everyone can predict what Im going to suggest.

Coyote Swap??? LOL!

rtvickers
09-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Coyote Swap??? LOL!

Seriously, that's 1 of 2 major suggestions. You cant go wrong with either one of them.........In my opinion.

slow86fiveoh
09-25-2013, 06:23 PM
If u need a known good lower mileage short block to at least get u by for a while give me a call or text at 937-779-7416

mf959100GT
09-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Well not sure on budget yet, trying not to get my hopes up since I can't make it to Trenton until Sunday and the guy only wants $30 for it...and like I was telling you Tommy the fiancé isn't too find of the mustang lmao. But if it all goes according to plan I want to make sure it's done right the first time and it'll handle a power adder later down the road. What did you have in mind though Tommy.

@slow86fiveoh, mines got 158+ going up 60 a day lol but if plans work out its going to be parked in the next few months for winter :)

mf959100GT
09-25-2013, 11:50 PM
Well not sure on budget yet, trying not to get my hopes up since I can't make it to Trenton until Sunday and the guy only wants $30 for it...and like I was telling you Tommy the fiancé isn't too find of the mustang lmao. But if it all goes according to plan I want to make sure it's done right the first time and it'll handle a power adder later down the road. What did you have in mind though Tommy.

@slow86fiveoh, mines got 158+ going up 60 a day lol but if plans work out its going to be parked in the next few months for winter :)

rtvickers
09-26-2013, 04:35 AM
Look into a Cobra short block. But you wont find one for $30. Or look into a Terminator swap. But its not cheap.

redfirepearlgt
09-26-2013, 09:13 AM
Don't know how much power you are wanting to make "safely" but the stock internals on a 281 3V modular are repeatedly handling 450 RW Torque and RWHP. I am pretty certain that the 281 2V has the same lower end. My 05 made 507/472 with 9.5psi/LT's/ORX/cams. It was detuned slightly by Adam at my request or would have made more. And he wanted to go there but I held him back. That car as I hear it is still on the road today and should be pushing 50K on the OD. It had 43K when I traded it. A bit high for my liking thus it never saw DR's or the track at that level. It ran very well with 427 RWHP 407RWT on 7psi from a TVS setup. NO oil loss, no ticking, no issues at all. Should have kept it now that I think back. But forward in life and don't rethink decisions made.

Gordon on here has a 2002 Saleen and it is running cams and a KB 1.7 making 430 RWHP and not sure on torque. It runs like a raped ape.

So personally if I were in your shoes AND money was an issue, I would forge the bottom end in one. Leave the stroker kits alone as well as boring it out. This is advise I pass on to you that I received from Adam when I was contemplating doing forged internals (stroker v stock displacement kit) as the next step in my build so I could then confidently put DR's on it and hit the track, or just trade it in.

Of course if money is no object sell the car and go buy a terminator or 2011+ GT (with an auto). If you are in love with the car keep it and do the terminator swap. Personally I would find it cool to rebuild that 2V bottom end to stock with forged internals. Pick up a 4.10 for now and run it N/A. plenty of fun wit hit that way. Then put 3.31 or 3.55 gears back in and slap a KB 2.2 on it and make yourself 425 or so at the wheels on 7-9psi and just have a blast freakin people out with it. You can always add boost later as you crave more. And believe me, once you've been blown you're mind is never the same again. Yes the comparison is a fair assessment LOL!!!!!

mf959100GT
09-26-2013, 10:43 AM
I would love to do a terminator swap but if I was going to do that why not just buy the whole car and not have to deal with the hassle lol other than the cool/ wow factor...I'm leaning towards the forged internals, decent cams, long tubes and calling it a day. How much would it cost for forged internals roughly?

SN95N/A
09-26-2013, 10:49 AM
If your going to do it and do it once,I would go with a ceremic coated piston and some good rods.

mf959100GT
09-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Ok, yeah I wanna do it right the first time

slow86fiveoh
09-26-2013, 12:18 PM
If u don't build a stroker have a 8 bolt cobra crank to get u going in the right direction

redfirepearlgt
09-26-2013, 12:24 PM
I would love to do a terminator swap but if I was going to do that why not just buy the whole car and not have to deal with the hassle lol other than the cool/ wow factor...I'm leaning towards the forged internals, decent cams, long tubes and calling it a day. How much would it cost for forged internals roughly?

http://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/

Here is one source. 1799 up sky is the limit.

Quotes I have received for the entire turnkey job have ranged from 7-8k which includes all parts, removal, tear down, assembly, install, and tuning. Included high volume oil pump, new timing chanins and the list goes on. Only thing reused would have been the naked block. So there you have it. The rest of the search you can handle.

But yes, I agree. Go entire cobra is the lesser cost route. Doing a termi swap does generate wow factor and surprise when someone sees your stock looking base model GT mustang with a terminator power plant in it.

rtvickers
09-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Get with evil8. I think he had some good 2v stuff he was trying to get rid of. It's been a minute though. But check and see.

mf959100GT
09-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Ok thanks guys I'm going to do more research once I actually get the short block if he still has it, I'll keep you all updated

chris91
09-26-2013, 08:13 PM
If you want to pick up a complete stock short block go with the Aluminum Explorer shortblock. Youll shed a decent bit of weight with it(like 80-100lbs) and they are plentiful in yards everywhere.

mf959100GT
09-26-2013, 08:26 PM
If you want to pick up a complete stock short block go with the Aluminum Explorer shortblock. Youll shed a decent bit of weight with it(like 80-100lbs) and they are plentiful in yards everywhere.

I'm not too worried about weight right now, and I'm getting this short lock for $30 like I said, seems like a pretty good deal.

redfirepearlgt
09-26-2013, 08:30 PM

what he said. I like this option. Never knew about this angle of approach.

I'm not too worried about weight right now, and I'm getting this short lock for $30 like I said, seems like a pretty good deal.

Just be careful. Often times you get what you pay for.

rtvickers
09-26-2013, 09:07 PM
I agree. Seems to good to be true. You should have him take it to be checked out. Have you seen any pics.

mf959100GT
09-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Well I texted him asking if he still had it because I don't have to work saturday like I thought I was going to...so he called me and told me the news I was expecting...ITS SOLD :( but he said that he still has a 4.6l out of a 04 crown vic that was pulled at 42000 miles due to a spun rod bearing...it has heads and all...so I'm thinking he was going to want at least a couple hundred for it and he said I can have it for $50. My one buddy is a Mustang guru and said he might be able to go with me to look at it. Hopefully it is worth it

Dirtyd0g
09-27-2013, 03:49 AM
I can't be the only person that likes the compression of a markVIII shortblock with 2v heads, I currently have one with PI heads it is 11.3:1 compression. The next one I do will probably be NPI headed, would be great with a set of SVO heads if you could find them, or the 44CC trick flows. Obviously I am thinking NA builds only but the lighter than forged but stronger than cast crank and rods of these makes a great lower end for cheap.
Alan

mf959100GT
09-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Ok so here is where I'm at, checked my oil this morning its where it should I've just been noticing the ticking more lately and louder, it is definitely coming from underneath the car not the top of the motor. Secondly is it a good deal for the other motor I can get, out of a 2004 Crown vic complete with heads, pulled at 42000 miles due to a spun rod bearing, $50 plus gas to drive to trenton from eastgate and cost of engine stand at harbor freight.

Here is a video of my car taken today: http://youtu.be/Gf5o_24Qdms

Dirtyd0g
09-27-2013, 12:06 PM
I would think at 42k the heads should be great on that motor, my guess is that the timing chain guides came apart and clogged the oil pickup screen because of those stupid late model plastic tensioners. Do yourself a favor and put the metal ones on it when you put it back together, the trick flow kit comes with them and for the price really can't be beat. You can't piece it all out on rockauto for less, I have tried. In all honesty the heads are worth more than $50 in scrap aluminum. If the intake is not cracked thats a good find too. be careful with the hose on the back nipple all the late crown vic motors I have seen the hose was glued on so cut it off with a razor blade very carefully.
Alan

redfirepearlgt
09-27-2013, 12:06 PM
I can't be the only person that likes the compression of a markVIII shortblock with 2v heads, I currently have one with PI heads it is 11.3:1 compression. The next one I do will probably be NPI headed, would be great with a set of SVO heads if you could find them, or the 44CC trick flows. Obviously I am thinking NA builds only but the lighter than forged but stronger than cast crank and rods of these makes a great lower end for cheap.
Alan

Dog! I forgot about that engine and I had a MK Viii 94 model. There ya go!

jeep45238
09-27-2013, 12:07 PM
I don't have sound at work, but from your recent description it sounds like you've spun a bearing. $50 for a junk engine that you'll have to tear apart and put in new bearings and a crank in isn't bad, but see what you can find a running good to go engine for. You might be surprised.

And the thing that holds back the 2V engines on power is the cylinder heads. I wouldn't mind switching over to a 3V engine some day, but the plentiful cheap parts for 2V's and the replacements that are just sitting in junkyards waiting is too much for me to ignore right now.

Dirtyd0g
09-27-2013, 12:25 PM
FWIW I have a good markVIII shortblock for $300 You do need to be very careful when putting stock PI heads on a markVIII shortblock I highly suggest pulling the valves and having them cut down on a lathe the big face may cause interference. If you need it all done I can do that.
Alan

mf959100GT
09-27-2013, 12:30 PM
If the intake is not cracked thats a good find too. be careful with the hose on the back nipple all the late crown vic motors I have seen the hose was glued on so cut it off with a razor blade very carefully.
Alan

I had that happen to me shortly after I bought my car, the nipple completely broke and I had to buy a new intake manifold.

So if I can make it to Trenton tomorrow I think I'm defiantly going to get that engine, keywords if i can make it haha.

rtvickers
09-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Wow. Thats a lot louder than what I heard. When you brought it over I really couldn't hear much. But I was just putting my head next to the tire.

mf959100GT
09-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Wow. Thats a lot louder than what I heard. When you brought it over I really couldn't hear much. But I was just putting my head next to the tire.

You can hear it just standing next to it I'll stop by tmrw if your home, doesn't look like I'm gonna make it to Trenton tmrw :(

chris91
09-28-2013, 01:33 AM
Man that almost sounds like a exhaust leak. But Im listening to it on my laptop and the sound sucks. Check your EGR tube. They have the tendency to rust and leak.

mustang8998
09-28-2013, 07:49 AM
I agree with Chris....it doesn't sound hollow enough to be in the pan, but it is hard to tell from a video clip.

Have you taken the fan belt off and tried it? Could be an accessory making noise. Does it do it, clutch in and out (assuming it's a stick)? As mentioned, check all exhaust connections and the EGR tube. I would rule out all of this, before buying a motor you might not need.

rtvickers
09-28-2013, 10:34 AM
You just need to get the car up on jack stands and let it run and see where the noise is coming from. And make a video of it. What's the oil situation. What kind and how much have you added lately.

mf959100GT
09-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Where's the EGR tube at? And tommy when I changed the oil 2 weeks ago I put 4 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic blend with a quart of the Lucas oil stuff (it's like honey, can't think of the name) then when I seen it was low I added a quart of oil and its been fine since. And it is a stick and it does it weather the clutch is in or not. And the motor is only $50 so I feel like its too good of a deal to pass up haha

rtvickers
09-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Next time you change your oil it'll take 5-6 quarts. So pick up 6 quarts of your choice of oil and a good filter. Remember you've changed the filter so it take oil to fill that also. Put 5 qts in it, run for a few. Shut it off for a few and check it. That will ensure that the oil system is full. There's more to the system than the oil pan. Now just my personal opinion, I wouldn't put anything in my car to mask any problems. It doesn't fix the problem just hides it for a temporary fix. But that's just me.

For my Cobra I use 7 qrts of 5W30 Amsoil signature series with their filter. I think the part no is EAO11.

rtvickers
09-28-2013, 12:06 PM
EGR tube should run off the down the back of the motor to the exhaust maniforld or top of the xpipe on I think the driver side.

mf959100GT
09-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Ok I'll keep that in mind, and I'll try looking for the EGR, might run to a auto shop to see if they'll throw it on a lift real quick for me

rtvickers
09-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Google is your friend. Google pics of it.

chris91
09-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Its the pipe that bolts to the side of your Plenum. Just follow it down.

mf959100GT
09-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Metal with insulation around it, I've been working on homework all day, joys of being a full time college student and working a full time job, but I think I know what you guys are talking about now

Yellow01stang
09-28-2013, 03:57 PM
My iPad sucks for sound but I would check the exhaust first. When my exhaust comes apart on my long tubes it would give a tick like that.

Dirtyd0g
09-28-2013, 04:47 PM
if it is engine internal take a large screwdriver and put your ear against the screwdriver and the other end against the oil pan, if the sound is deep through the screwdriver it is engine internal, if it's an exhaust leak it won't be present.
Alan

chris91
09-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Yes it has insulation around it. You have the right one.

mf959100GT
09-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Ok, I think I'm done with homework for the day, my brain hurts haha but I'm going to was my car and look at the EGR

mf959100GT
09-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Well the motor ended up being a no go, had everything ready to go went and bought an engine stand and all...called the guy twice and texted him three times all with no response when he said he would be free after 1pm. This was at 130 so we grabbed some lunch and still at 2 had not heard a thing from the guy so I took the vehicle I was using back since I figured the guy backed out. Got home and then the guy calls and says he got busy and forgot...Seriously if your going to sell something on craigslist learn to answer your phone, or inform the person that your busy so they know whats going on because they will do like I did and tell the guy "sorry I already bought another motor since I thought you backed out"...sorry for the rant haha but I got to thinking about it too, why would you sell a motor for only $50 if all thats wrong is a spun rod bearing?

chris91
09-29-2013, 07:54 PM
I sold a shortblock with nothing wrong with it for $75, some people just want shit outta their way. He might've picked up a new engine and has no need for it like said, the heads alone will get your money back in just scrap.

mf959100GT
09-29-2013, 09:23 PM
Well I talked to my step brother and he's pulling the motor out of his 96 GT to do a 5.0 swap (cot a coyote 5.0 haha), but he said I can have his block.

jeep45238
09-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Honeslty man, if it's a running engine, just drop it in and go. Save the money, because in the situation you explained, you're going to need it. Build later when you've got the dough to do it right and not impact your life.

mf959100GT
10-01-2013, 10:46 AM
We'll his kept leaking antifreeze from the heads, so it needs heads and it has about 140-160k miles on it, his mileage gear went out around 135k haha. If I can manage it I'm going to be buying a little beater to drive during the winter so the mustang will be parked all winter, hopefully.