Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Old movies [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Old movies

Goldenpony
09-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Anybody else here like the old movies? I'm 67 and I love all the new stuff, especially the Sci Fi. However, Once in a while I like to delve into my considerable stock pile of movies and watch an oldie. Last night I watched Bye Bye Birdie. Ann Margret looked the best she ever looked. I also like Mister Roberts, High Noon, Inherit The Wind and Spirit of St. Louis.
That said, I think I'll go watch the new Star Trek movie, Into Darkness.

rtvickers
09-15-2013, 01:47 PM
I haven't seen very many of the older classics but Ive seen a few. Especially the old western movies. Sometimes I'll watch an old show called The Rebel. I like the old movies. My favorite movie of all time is Cool Hand Luke. Slow movie but Its the message that gets me. Never let them get your mind right. Be yourself.

redfirepearlgt
09-15-2013, 04:10 PM
I love older movies. Grapes of Wrath is now one of my favorites. Of Mice and Men another Steinbeck novel is a good one as well. Then Casablanca, THe Maltese Falcon just to mention tow Bogart classics. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Seven Year Itch, and How to Marry a Millionaire thankyou Ms. Monroe and Ms. Russel. White Christmas, thanks Bing. Oh and of course Mutiny on the Bounty, the Brando version. Then there are teh classic Elvis movies Girl Happy and Follow that Dream are two of my favorites. Anything Bond prior to Piers Anthony (what a wiener), oh and scratch the one attempted comeback of Sean...too old for bond by then Connery, sorry. And that is just off the top of my head. Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, John Wayne classics, War movies like THe Guns of Naverone, and then come the 70's wit hall the Dirty Harry movies, and such. HEck yeah. Classics are the bomb. But there have been some great recent remakes and some fantastic originals as well. Star Wards, Lord of the Rings, the latest Star Trek and how they did that is awesome. IT can go anywhere now. The new 007 is growing on me even. Fried Green Tomotoes with Jessica TAndy is super. Its on right now. Shaw Shank Redemption. The Bucket List...and the list goes on.

Sorry I got wound up. And BTW I am under 50.

redfirepearlgt
09-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Oh and crap...James Dean who could forget James Dean? Giant, and Rebel without a cause. And it has been mentioned and I never miss it...COOL HAND LUKE!!!! Oh and the original The Hustler. Screw that Tom Cruise version the color of money.

I just went into overload...........

redfirepearlgt
09-15-2013, 04:16 PM
I haven't seen very many of the older classics but Ive seen a few. Especially the old western movies. Sometimes I'll watch an old show called The Rebel. I like the old movies. My favorite movie of all time is Cool Hand Luke. Slow movie but Its the message that gets me. Never let them get your mind right. Be yourself.

...When a man's momma dies sometimes he gets to thinkin. His mind starts wonderin and he gits Rabbit in his blood.

I'm shakin it boss, I'm shakin it.

Luke you don't ever talk to the man with no eyes.

I can eat 50 eggs....

MELT DOWN

Goldenpony
09-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Oh and crap...James Dean who could forget James Dean? Giant, and Rebel without a cause. And it has been mentioned and I never miss it...COOL HAND LUKE!!!! Oh and the original The Hustler. Screw that Tom Cruise version the color of money.

I just went into overload...........

I just watched Rebel Without A Cause a couple of weeks ago. I love Sci Fi. One of the BEST is Forbidden Planet and the original The Day The Earth Stood Still and the original War Of The Worlds. Monster movies? How about The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms. The original Invasion Of The Body Snatchers and the original The Blob. Not to forget Them, and Tarantula and of course, the first KING KONG! God, I love movies. :popcorn:

redfirepearlgt
09-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Getting ready to watch REAR WINDOW a Hitchcock classic. I lovethis one. They even made a Flintstones episode from this movie.

Goldenpony
09-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Getting ready to watch REAR WINDOW a Hitchcock classic. I lovethis one. They even made a Flintstones episode from this movie.

Good choice!

Stangman
09-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Big fan of anything vintage right here....

devous1
09-15-2013, 09:18 PM
I love classics, Cool Hand Luke is one of my favs. Two main reasons I watch them 1. I dig the chicks, for me modern chicks are so damn fake I have to laugh at some of them. I think the stars back then had "classic beauty". Tippi Hendron in The Birds is just incredible, Elizabeth Taylor back in the day was the shit also. Of course my taste in women are a little different than most. The only time I like women to dress like hookers, well when they are hookers and on duty.

I also like to check out the old architecture, clothing, furniture etc. History is interesting and watching the old classics I can see how the world was for my parents and grand parents.

Some of the old SyFy stuff cracks me up. Even the stuff from 10 yrs ago, it's amazing how far the technology has come.

Goldenpony
09-15-2013, 10:21 PM
I love classics, Cool Hand Luke is one of my favs. Two main reasons I watch them 1. I dig the chicks, for me modern chicks are so damn fake I have to laugh at some of them. I think the stars back then had "classic beauty". Tippi Hendron in The Birds is just incredible, Elizabeth Taylor back in the day was the shit also. Of course my taste in women are a little different than most. The only time I like women to dress like hookers, well when they are hookers and on duty.

I also like to check out the old architecture, clothing, furniture etc. History is interesting and watching the old classics I can see how the world was for my parents and grand parents.

Some of the old SyFy stuff cracks me up. Even the stuff from 10 yrs ago, it's amazing how far the technology has come.

I hear you. talk about hokey, ever seen "Earth VS The Flying Saucers"? Hokey, but fun. I know it is very old, but "Forbidden Planet" was way ahead of it's time. Still a great flick. I heard they're making a remake of it.

Rick93coupe
09-15-2013, 10:45 PM
I've been watching old 70's and 80's shows on Netflix here lately, there's some pretty interesting stuff on there.
I just turned 40 this year so a lot of those movies I've never heard of but I do like the old John Wayne and Clint Eastwood movies.
I agree on the Star Trek stuff, those last 2 movies were great and I think the cast works great together!

Goldenpony
09-16-2013, 05:35 AM
Oh, one of THE best: Dr. Strangelove.

redfirepearlgt
09-16-2013, 08:42 AM

Yes. People all dressed much sleeker and sharper in those days. It cracks me up today what women will wear out with their boyfriends or husbands. Noticed this on the Cincinnati Dinner Train few weeks back. Talk about contrast. Its like the guys dresses sloppy as if he has the deal with the woman locked up and the woman dresses to the nines like she is 110% on the prowl for attention and/or a guy with a bigger checkbook and/or more popularity. I don't get it. Too much MTV influence is my diagnosis.

Give me a classy woman in a business suit and a pair of NORMAL heels anyday over how these young girls dress today. AND BRING BACK SOME STYLES FOR MEN AGAIN. I'm sick of one color polos and khakis being accepted as evening attire.

I'm always like Jane Russell, Rita Hayworth, Grace Kelly, Ingrid Bergman and of course Marilyn. And the gal in Cool Hand Luke wa AWESOME!!!

Goldenpony
09-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Hey Redfirepearlgt,
How did you like the dinner train experience? I've been thinking of doing that some weekend. tell me about it.

redfirepearlgt
09-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Hey Redfirepearlgt,
How did you like the dinner train experience? I've been thinking of doing that some weekend. tell me about it.

Man the train was awesome. The food menu is limited to Prime Rib, Salmon, or Chicken. The desserts limited to New York Cheesecake or Pecan Pie. I had the Prime Rib and my wife the Salmon. Both were very good to us. THe Cheesecake was awesome and my Pecan pie was to die for. The food was not Jeff Ruby level, but it was very good all the same. They really did a bang up job serving and keeping everyone's glasses full of tea or water. There are two bars on either end. The back car is the open air car and has a dance floor as I understand it. My wife and I never got up the entire time but just enjoyed sitting there on the train listening to 40's big band music and watching things go by. You share a table with another couple so IF that is an issue you may consider getting another couple to join you assuring who you will be sitting with. We had a great couple sit with us. Had a blast talking with them.

Down side. The scenery is not the best. Keep in mind they are limited to what railways they can run on. The train while serving runs about 5 MPH if I were guessing. It passes through many areas that are industrial. Some areas are pretty run down. But there are some highlights as well. the line runs from Madisonville to Lunken and then down to the Boathouse. Then reverses for the trip back and runs double speed which by this time of year dark. So the return ride is more romantic. The ambience in the car makes up for everything.

In the end I would do it again next year as well if we decide not to go somewhere else. Hope this helps out.

Goldenpony
09-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Last question, is it very pricey?

redfirepearlgt
09-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Last question, is it very pricey?

$150 a couple less tip and bar. Its a 3 hour ordeal. You pull out at 6pm and return about 9:00 or 9:30. So that equates to about $25 per hour per person plus bar tab. Don't know about bar prices We do not drink alcohol.

Goldenpony
09-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Just picked up a Blu Ray copy of another of my favorite old movies. The 40th Anniversary Edition of "Easy Rider". Hope to watch it this weekend.

devous1
09-21-2013, 07:58 AM
I love that movie but absolutely hate the ending.

Movies are like massages, a happy ending is always best.

4n_eatr
09-21-2013, 08:06 AM
I love that movie but absolutely hate the ending.

Movies are like massages, a happy ending is always best.

I'm with you. My buddy and I were teenagers when we first watched it ad we were into the movie then all of a sudden it ends.... We both just sit there staring at the screen...

I just bought "The Great Escape" with Steve McQueen. Funny thing was after I watched it I went over to my buddies house, who is the same age as me, and he was watching an old 60's movie too. So I can say my friends an myself all love old movies.

redfirepearlgt
09-21-2013, 11:05 AM
The Great Escape is an awesome movie. I don't care for Easy Rider. But since you are talking Peter Fonda watch "Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry" from the early 70's. It has an abrupt ending as well which leaves you just sitting there in a complete state of WOW! That just happened? Thats how it ends?