PDA

View Full Version : Legal question _ Traffic cam

4n_eatr
10-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Soooooo Jen just got a speeding ticket by one of those "traffic cams". Now when I did it back in 2010, my Squad Leader was former OHP and he said some of the traffic cams were owned by a private organization and they couldn't do anything if you didn't pay it, BUT I've also heard that they changed it recently. I never paid mine and never heard anything about it, but I don't want to give her that advice and end up with a warrant or a vehicle impounded. Is it the same as a ticket from a cop nowadays?

evil8
10-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Dowatchalike! Merica!

CNTLOSE
10-23-2013, 09:45 PM
They won't issue a warrant, but they can turn it over to a collections company and ruin your credit. Also it is not the same as a ticket it issued by an officer. It is more of a civil demand with a fine and no points.

Rick93coupe
10-23-2013, 10:22 PM
They won't issue a warrant, but they can turn it over to a collections company and ruin your credit. Also it is not the same as a ticket it issued by an officer. It is more of a civil demand with a fine and no points.

Which means its a complete crock of shit.

rtvickers
10-23-2013, 11:22 PM
I think they just ruled that those cameras were unconstitutional. I think Elmwood place has to pay back the fines that were generated by those traffic cams. I think they just pasted something in Ohio a few days ago. Check into it.

cstreu1026
10-23-2013, 11:28 PM
But Dayton just added Car(s) with speed cameras inside so I'm not sure it applied to anyone other than Elmwood.

rtvickers
10-23-2013, 11:41 PM
I think its an issue with getting a speeding ticket in the mail. They said it denies people of due process. If an officer gives a ticket then they have a choice to pay it or dispute it in court. Im not sure about the traffic cams. I wasn't paying close attention to the news when it was on and I just heard bits and pieces of it. So Im probably wrong. But its worth a shot.

redfirepearlgt
10-23-2013, 11:42 PM

Correct. I had the same thing happen to me in Hamilton Ohio. Called a lawyer to fight it. Found out that the ticket as they call it is issued as some form of service fee. They cannot assess points to your license and they cannot increase your insurance. It is not a traffic ticket. It is considered a service fee.

A private company out of Arizona (and I believe another out of Cleveland) own the systems that they leases out to these towns. All data is fed back to some pinhead sitting at a desk who decides if an infraction has been committed and if a ticket (so to speak) should be issued. The service fee is then mailed back to the place that handles the issue of the ticket and owns the equipment. A portion of the money then goes to that city that they can then use for street maintenance and soforth.

It is a scam but they are getting away with it for the time being. Little Miami, Hamilton, and Elmwwod in Cincinnati are three areas making or have made use of these jerks that I am personally aware of.

Pay the service fee or it goes to collection. If not paid it can effect your credit rating and ability to buy a home amongst other things.

You can arbitrate it with a local yocal that will see you but to be honest you are spinning your heels as a lawyer explained to me who also had just gotten a ticket two days prior to me on the same location...and guess what she was driving??? Yip A mustang. So yes they do profile.

Good luck, sorry this is not better news. Bitch and gripe all you want, but until people go to city counsel meetings on issues like this nothing will get done.

THIS IS A CLASSIC EXAMPLE OF WHAT BEING POLITICALLY CORRECT WILL GET YOU. THE NOSE OF THE CAMEL IS IN THE TENT. IF LEFT UNADDRESSED HOW LONG UNTIL THE STATE IS USING ARTIMUS SPEED CAMERAS TO ASSESS AND ISSUE TICKETS? Guess what? I heard from a cop that is ALREADY HAPPENING. THey just claim you were busted by an airplane or helicopter overhead.

HAve a great day.

4n_eatr
10-24-2013, 10:06 AM
ok. well she has good credit so I think she'll want to pay it. My credit sucks, that probably why i didn't notice anything.
Thanks guys!

Mista Bone
10-24-2013, 06:28 PM
I don't mind New Miami's Speed Camera's on 127.

The speed limit is 35, the camera's won't nail you until 45 mph.

The reduced speed sign before the bridge is far enough away if you just lift off the gas and you'll being doing 35 mph when you get in range of the camera.

As the New Miami Police Chief stated, if you are paying attention you'll never get a ticket.

redfirepearlgt
10-24-2013, 06:39 PM
I don't mind New Miami's Speed Camera's on 127.

The speed limit is 35, the camera's won't nail you until 45 mph.

The reduced speed sign before the bridge is far enough away if you just lift off the gas and you'll being doing 35 mph when you get in range of the camera.

As the New Miami Police Chief stated, if you are paying attention you'll never get a ticket.

Someone kindly give the man a tarnished halo out of petty cash.

Jen9780
10-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the advice! I wasn't in the mustang but was apparently in a hurry. First ticket in 10 years so I can't be too mad. Maybe a little frustrated. Lol