PDA

View Full Version : Family traditional dish???

redfirepearlgt
11-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Each year at Thanksgiving we have a dessert that is seasonal. It is called persimmon pudding. It is awesome.

This requires going out into the woods or to a local Persimmon tree shortly after the first killing frost and harvesting this fruit, bringing it home, cleaning and rendering it into a paste and then storing it for the season. To my knowledge persimmons are not sold in stores. This is a SW Indiana specialty and no other area of the country does ti to my knowledge...at least the tristate area is unaware of it other than those we have introduced it to over the years and they always fall in love with it. I am geting ready to go pick some down home if there are any left. Deer love these things and it has been a few weeks since that first frost. So hopefully I find some that aren't dried up yet.

Share your family special dish served this year for Thanksgiving.

rtvickers
11-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Sounds like some good food. I used to work for a produce company. You might want to give them a call. If theyre in season they should have them. The company is in Independence Ky its called Crosset Company. I remember them when I worked there.

Mista Bone
11-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Jungle Jim's

redfirepearlgt
11-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Sounds like some good food. I used to work for a produce company. You might want to give them a call. If theyre in season they should have them. The company is in Independence Ky its called Crosset Company. I remember them when I worked there.

Half the fun is taking a walk on the farm on a sunny cool fall day to find a fresh bounty of persimmons. But if they are frozen out or have been gotten to by the deer b4 we get there I will keep crossset in mind. Thanks