PDA

View Full Version : gun law proposed

duststang
11-21-2013, 04:59 PM
I thought Ohio you were not required to flee in your home? I need to review the laws again, confused.

http://www.ohio.com/news/stand-your-ground-proposal-clears-ohio-house-1.446174

Pops Fun
11-21-2013, 07:06 PM
In your home and in your car you have no need to retreat, everywhere else you have a duty to retreat.
i went up to the state house to hear testimony this week.

http://buckeyefirearms.org/node/9208

Steve

ullbsorry
11-22-2013, 07:43 AM
In your home and in your car you have no need to retreat, everywhere else you have a duty to retreat.
i went up to the state house to hear testimony this week.

http://buckeyefirearms.org/node/9208

Steve

Id be careful when in your car. Yes it is considered your car BUT if there is a chance or opening for you to back away or "leave" then that is your suggested route to take. If you were to stand your ground while at/in your car when a threat takes place towards you and there are ways of you leaving or getting out of the situation...you better take that route than to stand your ground. You will be leaving yourself in a 50/50 situation if you choose to "stand your ground" while regarding your car.

Don't take that negatively b/c I do agree with you and the majority of the population about standing your ground. I am just trying to give you insight from a LEO point of view.

Pops Fun
11-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Id be careful when in your car. Yes it is considered your car BUT if there is a chance or opening for you to back away or "leave" then that is your suggested route to take. If you were to stand your ground while at/in your car when a threat takes place towards you and there are ways of you leaving or getting out of the situation...you better take that route than to stand your ground. You will be leaving yourself in a 50/50 situation if you choose to "stand your ground" while regarding your car.

Don't take that negatively b/c I do agree with you and the majority of the population about standing your ground. I am just trying to give you insight from a LEO point of view.

I don't trust any of you to have my best interest at heart... The FOP.. your organization has spoke out against all the gun legislation and this one (I go to the state house a lot) and made veiled suggestion that there would be blood in the streets...

INAL...the Ohio law will not be a true Stand your Ground law ... not completely, you will still have to prove you were in fear for your life, didn't start the problem etc.. Other Stand your Ground Law you don't... I am not a lawyer, just speaking from what I heard at the Capitol, Tuesday.

I will retreat if I have a chance, in my home or car, don't want to shoot anyone, But if I back up and someone doesn't stop there advance with me yelling at them... Then its on them. I will shoot til the threat is stopped... all 13 rounds.

There is also a prudent man defense, what would a prudent man do... that is not law but law of the land so to speak.

Steve

ullbsorry
11-22-2013, 02:04 PM
I don't trust any of you to have my best interest at heart... The FOP.. your organization has spoke out against all the gun legislation and this one (I go to the state house a lot) and made veiled suggestion that there would be blood in the streets...

INAL...the Ohio law will not be a true Stand your Ground law ... not completely, you will still have to prove you were in fear for your life, didn't start the problem etc.. Other Stand your Ground Law you don't... I am not a lawyer, just speaking from what I heard at the Capitol, Tuesday.

I will retreat if I have a chance, in my home or car, don't want to shoot anyone, But if I back up and someone doesn't stop there advance with me yelling at them... Then its on them. I will shoot til the threat is stopped... all 13 rounds.

There is also a prudent man defense, what would a prudent man do... that is not law but law of the land so to speak.

Steve

Lol and its people like you I don't like to deal with. As soon as a LEO opens their mouth...they are wrong without you listening to what I am saying or hearing me out. Did I say I would arrest you for defending yourself? No. My point was simply that even though a LEO might not arrest or file charges against you....the DA might.

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 too but Im sure you will take that differently?

89notch
11-22-2013, 02:25 PM

Steve
Pops just because he's a LEO doesn't mean he's in the FOP or agrees with the views of the FOP.

devous1
11-22-2013, 03:49 PM
I believe that for 99% of us shooting some one is a last resort. I hope most of us have enough common sense to know that even in self defense our lives and our families lives will be changed forever. Emotionally, socially, financially etc.

I still don't understand why so many are opposed to stand your ground laws? Lets just take a carjacking or just a robbery situation. Your sitting in your car minding your own fucking business and some jackoff approaches your car out of the blue. My whole concern is the person initiating the action knows exactly what is going on, he knows his intentions, he knows what he is going to do and he knows his options to obtain his end result and the amount of force if any necessary to reach that goal.

Sitting in my car seeing the jackoff approaching (if I see him) I have no idea what so ever what hes up to, I can make assumptions but don't really know. Is he needing directions, looking for change or a handout, does he want my wallet, am I getting jacked or is he just gonna shoot me (happened to a Capital University student in Columbus a few years ago at a stop sign)? Not sure till it happens, I have to react to what ever he initiates and he has the immediate advantage.

I've had this exact situation happen to me and my wife about a year ago, we were depositing checks after dark at our bank. My wife is in the lobby atm and I'm sitting in our Navigator. Huge parking lot and nobody around and a dude on a Kawasaki pulls up a few spaces away from us and starts walking toward the car and not the bank. WTF is he doing, I can tell you I didn't wait for him to start any shit with my wife outside the car. I let him know I was armed he got on his bike and left.

The shit happens in seconds, the criminals know what they are doing and you don't have time to take a coffee break and watch it unfold. It's pretty hard to defend your self with your back turned and running

Pops Fun
11-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Lol and its people like you I don't like to deal with. As soon as a LEO opens their mouth...they are wrong without you listening to what I am saying or hearing me out. Did I say I would arrest you for defending yourself? No. My point was simply that even though a LEO might not arrest or file charges against you....the DA might.

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 too but Im sure you will take that differently?

You don't know me.... any more than I know you!! You're taking this very personal...
You are telling me that the police have my best interest at heart???
I call BS.... I know the local police by name and have ridden with them, they are good people, but I say again they don't have my best interest at heart. My uncle was NY state police, I think I understand. Actually the Hamilton county DA is pretty self defense friendly.
I also realize the FOP is more political, and not representative of everyones views but they upset me with all the opposition.
They have spoken against the Concealed Carry Licenses and all the changes since we got it!!

You got a pretty thin skin.

Steve

Pops Fun
11-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Pops just because he's a LEO doesn't mean he's in the FOP or agrees with the views of the FOP.

I realize that.... didn't necessarily mean him personally, but if he want to take it that way that's ok.....

Steve

Pops Fun
11-22-2013, 04:33 PM
I believe that for 99% of us shooting some one is a last resort. I hope most of us have enough common sense to know that even in self defense our lives and our families lives will be changed forever. Emotionally, socially, financially etc.

I still don't understand why so many are opposed to stand your ground laws? Lets just take a carjacking or just a robbery situation. Your sitting in your car minding your own fucking business and some jackoff approaches your car out of the blue. My whole concern is the person initiating the action knows exactly what is going on, he knows his intentions, he knows what he is going to do and he knows his options to obtain his end result and the amount of force if any necessary to reach that goal.

Sitting in my car seeing the jackoff approaching (if I see him) I have no idea what so ever what hes up to, I can make assumptions but don't really know. Is he needing directions, looking for change or a handout, does he want my wallet, am I getting jacked or is he just gonna shoot me (happened to a Capital University student in Columbus a few years ago at a stop sign)? Not sure till it happens, I have to react to what ever he initiates and he has the immediate advantage.

I've had this exact situation happen to me and my wife about a year ago, we were depositing checks after dark at our bank. My wife is in the lobby atm and I'm sitting in our Navigator. Huge parking lot and nobody around and a dude on a Kawasaki pulls up a few spaces away from us and starts walking toward the car and not the bank. WTF is he doing, I can tell you I didn't wait for him to start any shit with my wife outside the car. I let him know I was armed he got on his bike and left.

The shit happens in seconds, the criminals know what they are doing and you don't have time to take a coffee break and watch it unfold. It's pretty hard to defend your self with your back turned and running

Totally agree, you have to keep your head on a swivel. One reason I am thinking of mounting a holster inside the car .... mine is to hard to get to while sitting especially with a jacket on..

ullbsorry
11-22-2013, 07:06 PM
You don't know me.... any more than I know you!! You're taking this very personal...
You are telling me that the police have my best interest at heart???
I call BS.... I know the local police by name and have ridden with them, they are good people, but I say again they don't have my best interest at heart. My uncle was NY state police, I think I understand. Actually the Hamilton county DA is pretty self defense friendly.
I also realize the FOP is more political, and not representative of everyones views but they upset me with all the opposition.
They have spoken against the Concealed Carry Licenses and all the changes since we got it!!

You got a pretty thin skin.

Steve

Youre right I don't know you and YOU don't know me or who I act, think, talk, say, etc. You are putting words in my mouth. I never said LEO's have your best interest at heart. YOU do and only you in the heat of the moment. What I was stating is that YES, I agree with you, me, anyone else defending their family, self, home, car, etc....you still need to be careful b/c even though the police might not charge you....DA's can/will and I have seen it first hand. Whether it be dropping charges, adding charges or even changing charges from one to another. Do I agree with everything that I have to enforce as a LEO? No, BUT that IS my job and I have to do what I am obligated to do. If I ever come across someone who has shot and/or killed someone b/c they were defending themselves...no I would not arrest them myself but I cant say that the DA wouldn't file charges. I am for the stand your ground law but there are always loop holes and etc regarding something like that. The only way to figure out what would happen is for someone to stand their ground and get charged like Zimmerman. Would you want to be that person?

And as for the thin skin...lol. The only thin skin I have is on the palm of my hands where the blisters are forming from lifting weights. You have no clue how patient and laid back I am or how much I ignore/laugh off when in uniform. I am referred to as the "nice one" at the department by the community.

I realize that.... didn't necessarily mean him personally, but if he want to take it that way that's ok.....

Steve

Didn't take it anyway. I was stating a point, that's all.

devous1
11-22-2013, 08:11 PM
The Senate hearings on Stand Your Ground Laws a week or so ago was a very interesting. I'm sure you can find it on youtube or hulu, It's almost as if people somehow believe that we can avoid confrontation.