PDA

View Full Version : T45 26 spline clutch options.

4n_eatr
12-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Getting my trans rebuilt soon and I'm looking for a clutch for it. I found centerforce DF for it but I like the Spec that's in it, but can't find a Stage 2+ Clutch for the 26 spline. And CF is about $500. Anyone had any luck with anything else? I need it to hold at least 550rwtq but still be street able. Not looking to spend much over $400 if I can get away with it.

jeep45238
12-27-2013, 11:02 AM
I honestly don't think the DF clutches do much besides increase wear on the throw out bearing for the 3650's (the TOB rests directly on the fingers) - I'm not sure if the T45 TOB rests on the fingers though.

I'm a big fan of Excedy clutches after putting mine in and breaking it in. I also don't know the DIA you need for your clutch, but I have the 10 spline version of this one :

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/EXD-07803/Exedy-Stage-2-11-Clutch-Kit-26-Tooth-Mustang-96-04

It's as smooth as stock and not much, if any, harder to push than stock. It's extremely streetable as well.

slow86fiveoh
12-27-2013, 11:14 AM
It's probably a 10 1/2 inch same as fox

rtvickers
12-27-2013, 11:56 AM
The cable has a lot to do with the way clutch feels also. I don't have a T45 but I went with a spec 3 with the light pedal option and a maximum Motorsports cable. I couldn't believe how light the pedal felt. But I didn't lube the cable. I had pick up a new cable it was on its last leg. I went cheap and got a stock cable and didn't lube it either. But the the clutch has held everything I've thrown at it. I'm sure any of the mentioned clutches with a good lubed cable will get the job done. It's personal preference.

4n_eatr
12-27-2013, 12:12 PM
yeah it's a 10.5". I've understood that the stock cable is the best one you can get. I have the Spec stage 2, but i was wanting a little more clamping power, but I'm having trouble finding decent ones in a 26 Spline 10.5" disc. I've heard a few people say that the Centerforce has trouble under boosted applications, especially over 600 hp. I might have to get an aftermarket flywheel so I can use the 11".

JIMS SVT
12-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Cf df is what I'd use. That's what always worked good for me. I've tried McCloud and spec stg3+ and neither worked well for me.

4n_eatr
12-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Cf df is what I'd use. That's what always worked good for me. I've tried McCloud and spec stg3+ and neither worked well for me.

Were they slipping or just wear out faster? I had a DF in a Fox of mine and liked it. I did a quick search and it seems that with 5.0's they're great under high horsepower but something about the way a boosted modular applies the power doesn't agree with the DF. But those were older threads so things may have changed

SN95N/A
12-27-2013, 12:50 PM
I had a spec 3+ in my pos.I wouldn't go back with one had issues with it.

redfirepearlgt
12-27-2013, 12:55 PM
of the choices...CF DF. Ran one in the 02 and it did very well. Heavier pedal but not that bad.

I've had great luck with Exedy in my S197. Check them out. THey should have 26spline configs for your special application.

SN95N/A
12-27-2013, 03:08 PM

You don't count your cars make stupid power,word around town is you once made 4 digits on the dyno with a push mower.

JIMS SVT
12-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Were they slipping or just wear out faster? I had a DF in a Fox of mine and liked it. I did a quick search and it seems that with 5.0's they're great under high horsepower but something about the way a boosted modular applies the power doesn't agree with the DF. But those were older threads so things may have changed

Cf df always worked great for me.The mcloud would stick to the floor on a power shift every gear. The spec stg3+ had bad hot spots after a few hundred miles on it after the break in. Resurfaced the flywheel again and it didn't help. Started slipping . Never again. Cf only

JIMS SVT
12-27-2013, 03:19 PM
You don't count your cars make stupid power,word around town is you once made 4 digits on the dyno with a push mower.

Lol....that was on spray!

2000GT
12-27-2013, 03:42 PM

haha thats some funny shit :lol::lol::lol:

chris91
12-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Centerforce all the way. I've had them in all my stick cars and never had a problem with them.

mustangjon
12-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Funny how most people have no issues with cf df but mine held up fine on Lincoln under boost till I put stand alone in it and cranked up power it started blowing right through it yet I kept pressure plate and put spec disc in after and held fine. Now why I mismatched is a long story but it ended up working. Most guys that have problems with cf seem to be in 600+ Hp range

4n_eatr
12-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Most guys that have problems with cf seem to be in 600+ Hp range

That's my exact issue. I may not be there yet, but I will be soon. As I'd rather not put in a new clutch just because I added some boost. Spec just seems to have the most street able high horsepower applications. Someone told me to try ACT and there kits were more expensive and didn't hold that much. I haven't heard anything bad about the Ram HD line, but then again I haven't heard much about them at all.

rtvickers
12-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Start a thread like this on svtperformance. Vendors can chime in.

4n_eatr
12-27-2013, 06:30 PM
Start a thread like this on svtperformance. Vendors can chime in.

Good idea. I'll just have to root through the smart ass responses, lol

mustangjon
12-27-2013, 06:55 PM
I put a hd ram in candy's which seemed fine (it was cheapest route I could come up with fast) when it went out, but her car is basically stock so no clue how their higher setups do. My lincoln was also 3800lbs with me in it so it wasnt petite by any means either could be part of it. At time silver bullet had splintered a CF and a few other guys had issues but mostly were high hp cars, so think there is alot of factors including probably drivers :)

4n_eatr
12-27-2013, 09:09 PM
it's kinda funny, in my searches the old posts were "Spec great" now people are saying the 1 and 2 are good but the stage 3+ have issues. I may try the Ram or I may try Exedy. And if a spec 3 can hold up to Tommy's monster, that's saying something, lol.

rtvickers
12-27-2013, 09:26 PM
it's kinda funny, in my searches the old posts were "Spec great" now people are saying the 1 and 2 are good but the stage 3+ have issues. I may try the Ram or I may try Exedy. And if a spec 3 can hold up to Tommy's monster, that's saying something, lol.

No monster by far. The only thing monster about my car is the 3 energy drink stickers off the top of the cans that I put over my coin holder. You're more than welcome to come take it for a spin after I put tires on it. I've got the brakes I just need to get some tires. Unless you want to put yours on it and drive it. That way you can get an idea of how it feels. But my pedal is a little stiff because of the cable. But not as bad as it was before. Im going to pick up another MM cable and lube it this time. The other one was great for a few years. Then it started binding up and almost snapped. It had like 2 or 3 strands left when I took it out.

Im sure you're going to find bad write ups on any of them. To me it just boils down to personal preference. And if you daily drive your car that makes a difference in clutch selection also.

4n_eatr
12-27-2013, 09:34 PM
It's going to be driven a lot, but probably not everyday. I actually like a stiffer pedal so that doesnt bother me. At least I have it narrowed down to 3. Gives me some time to decide while the trans is getting rebuilt.

Rustanggt98
12-28-2013, 12:42 AM
I have a completely different set up, 2V N/A on drag radials, but I vote ACT. You would be amazed at how far you can get with them if you just call out there and talk to them about your set up and concerns. Great people, great customer service, and they even might be willing to custom make you something special if that is what you desire. I have put them through hell and they keep on working :bigthumb

4n_eatr
12-28-2013, 02:21 AM
I'll call them and talk to them. Their hp ratings just seemed kinda low and it was weird seeing it in HP instead of TQ.

Rustanggt98
12-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Hmm....I just looked up a few mustang options on their website and everything I looked at is rated in TQ. I pretty much run the base street set up with a sprung hub organic disc. I've got to be close to the maximum torque rating and have never had a problem with a clutch, and I abuse the hell out of them :lol:

dr59l
12-29-2013, 02:13 PM
If its stiff pedal u don't like spec had a option for reduced pedal effort. My spec 3 works great never slips. I beat it up pretty good w 6500+ clutch dumps at track. Plan on spraying it this year an doubt will have issue. Pretty sure Steve 700hp04mystic runs same clutch as me w no issues

4n_eatr
12-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Hmm....I just looked up a few mustang options on their website and everything I looked at is rated in TQ. I pretty much run the base street set up with a sprung hub organic disc. I've got to be close to the maximum torque rating and have never had a problem with a clutch, and I abuse the hell out of them :lol:

I must have been thinking of someone else. I just looked again and its in TQ. Still the ratings seemed kinda low comparing prices with other manufacturers.

If its stiff pedal u don't like spec had a option for reduced pedal effort. My spec 3 works great never slips. I beat it up pretty good w 6500+ clutch dumps at track. Plan on spraying it this year an doubt will have issue. Pretty sure Steve 700hp04mystic runs same clutch as me w no issues
It's not a stiff clutch that bothers me. I'm kinda leaning towards the stage 2+ or 3.

slow86fiveoh
12-30-2013, 06:47 AM
Have u looked into the clutches that pro motion powertrain offers, most of them have a dual friction style disc so they don't have a real harsh engagement which would be nice for a daily driver.

Yellow01stang
12-30-2013, 11:49 AM
I had two spec 3 clutches, bought brand new. I blew one apart and sent it back. The replacement held power fine, but had very bad spots in it nomatter what I tried. It was terrible on the street. I have a spec 2+ now and it's 100x better feel IMO.

4n_eatr
12-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Have u looked into the clutches that pro motion powertrain offers, most of them have a dual friction style disc so they don't have a real harsh engagement which would be nice for a daily driver.

I haven't heard of them. That's really why I started this thread because it seems like the big ones are Centerforce and Spec, but I haven't heard reviews of the smaller companies.

redfirepearlgt
12-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Pro motion is not a bad place to go. I have talkedto them. Kennebell Cobra told me about them. I went another direction because my app was pretty straight forward. THis would bea great option for you. They have a good selection and they will speak with you to work out the details.

4n_eatr
12-31-2013, 10:48 AM
I'll have to talk to them. A couple of their pictures looked remarkably like the Centrerforce and Spec Stage 2 clutches.

redfirepearlgt
12-31-2013, 08:51 PM
I'll have to talk to them. A couple of their pictures looked remarkably like the Centrerforce and Spec Stage 2 clutches.

They carry Centerforce, Mcleod, and others as well.

jeep45238
12-31-2013, 08:58 PM
Let me know if you want to try Animal some time. Excedy makes clutches for a fair amount of OEM's, and it does drive like that too.

4n_eatr
12-31-2013, 11:13 PM
Let me know if you want to try Animal some time. Excedy makes clutches for a fair amount of OEM's, and it does drive like that too.

I'll let you know when it gets a little warmer, lol. I actually like a firmer pedal. What Stage is yours? The link you posted was for an 11" disc so it was rated at 500 rwtq, but the 10.5 was only rated at 415. The trans rebuild is going to be rated at around 550 lb-ft I'm going to need a clutch rated at least 550 since I don't plan on my clutch going out before she gets boosted. And yes Mike, you and another person convinced me to do the On3 turbo kit. I'll replaced the turbo for a better unit when I throw in a Magnum T56.

jeep45238
01-01-2014, 02:09 AM
Mine is the exact one in the link, but 10 spline. You should be able to run an 11" disk with a flywheel swap.

I honestly don't pay much attention to 'stages' - there is no standard for what is considered what stage. I wanted a single organic disk for smooth street operation, and hunted around for a torque capacity that was more than what I was going to make but not by an insane amount.

Too much clutch can be just as bad, or worse, than not enough clutch for a street car.

4n_eatr
01-01-2014, 02:21 AM
True. From what I've seen the "stage" 3 and up are a little more hardcore so I'm trying to stay away from that. If/when I get my car re-tuned and it gets leaned back out my tq numbers should go up to around 315-320, (they were at 350, sitting at 259 now) so I figure something with a rating of 100-150 should give me enough room to grow with the new engine and later a small amount of boost.
BTW, I figured out why it was missing so bad. 5 plugs were soaked in gas, so I replaced them and it's running again. Still running rich so I need to get that taken care of soon.

redfirepearlgt
01-01-2014, 11:54 AM
The stage three going in my car is organic. Had the same clutch setup in the 05. It worked very well. Still hit pretty soft being organic material but with a more stout pressure plate. Great for on the street. McLeod makes a twin disk that is organic and will hold 800 ft lb. I had one of those in the 05 but was not happy with it. The engagement point was way too high for my liking and it was a bit noisy at lower RPM. The pedal was amazingly light however as is typical of the RST series twin disk clutch, but it copmes at a price. I suggest using either the stock flywheel or a comparable McLeod for that app. It hits soft also being made of organic compounds. I gave it away to a guy needing a clutch who roasted his and had a baby on the way. It has done well for him. THe cable clutch in his application allowed him to adjust the engagement point where he wanted it unlike a fixed release on a hydraulic unless you go bigger bucks for an adjustable slave cylinder.

McLeod also makes some organic single disk units that will hit soft and hold more torque. Pro Motion as I understand it as good for specail apps like yours. You tell them what you are trying to accomplish and they make you a package or you work with them on what would be a mutually acceptable setup. When I got hooked on Exedy for the S197 hydraulic applications.

The CF DF I ran in the 02 was street friendly as well. Made the car chirp fourth gear with the 4.10's and DR's (only bolt ons on that car) but was fine aside from a heavier pedal.

Whatever you do follow the advise of the breakin period as per the dealer that sells you the package. if he says break it in for 500 miles do that. If he says take it to the track and beat the crap out of it do that. I have had very good luck with the break in period. Just takes patience. Good luck.

Adam@S&MMotorsports
01-06-2014, 02:48 PM
ACT for damn sure:bigthumb

jeep45238
01-12-2014, 09:08 PM
If you're ok with sticking to a 10 spline (and running a somewhat forgiving clutch), a LOT of people rave about the King Cobra clutches.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-king-cobra-clutch-kit.html

Heck, you can essentially replace the whole setup minus the fork and ball with this kit (I would pass on the pedal adjuster):
http://www.uprproducts.com/ford-mustang-economy-king-cobra-clutch-firewall-cable-quad-kit.html

4n_eatr
01-17-2014, 11:18 PM
If you're ok with sticking to a 10 spline (and running a somewhat forgiving clutch), a LOT of people rave about the King Cobra clutches.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-king-cobra-clutch-kit.html

Heck, you can essentially replace the whole setup minus the fork and ball with this kit (I would pass on the pedal adjuster):
http://www.uprproducts.com/ford-mustang-economy-king-cobra-clutch-firewall-cable-quad-kit.html

From what I've been reading I need to stay with the 26 spline to be over the 500+ lb-ft rating. Otherwise I would think k about it because they're cheap. Only thing us I didn't really like the engagement in the one in my 89. BUT I've heard better things about them on a modular setup.