PDA

View Full Version : any one go bear hunting

pegasus
01-13-2014, 03:37 PM
well I was invited to go bear hunting in the fall I was wondering if anyone on here has gone? and has any advice

pegasus
01-13-2014, 04:37 PM
im going to bait it with a jar of honey in a hollow tree i will then shoot it when it gets stuck
right after he says o bother

Goldenpony
01-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Bear? I'd say twin 60 cal. should be about right. :lol:

k062693w
01-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Where are you going ???

I entered the lottery in Michigan 8 years in a row for a permit, And never got one ...

Most of the guys I know that got permits used 30/30s or 30.06s, And had 357s or 44 pistols for back up ...

SN95N/A
01-13-2014, 09:25 PM
Any advice? I would say make sure you kill it and don't try to do so with a pellet gun.

Gearhead
01-13-2014, 10:07 PM
im going to bait it with a jar of honey in a hollow tree i will then shoot it when it gets stuck
right after he says o bother

That cracked me up!

cstreu1026
01-13-2014, 10:57 PM
I think a Desert Eagle in .50AE with a S&W .500 revolver in an ankle holster sounds like appropriate back-up. I think I would want something like 7mm, .300 Win Mag, or .338 Lapua though. I don't want to be anywhere close to a damn bear.

Goldenpony
01-14-2014, 12:23 AM
Bears are tremendously powerful and surprisingly fast.

pegasus
01-14-2014, 12:46 AM
I don't know all the info but it's going to cost about 2500 it's a guided hunt and you stay out all week I guess you get to hunt other game while your out there if you get your bear the 1st day or so

Gearhead
01-14-2014, 07:38 AM
Bears are tremendously powerful and surprisingly fast.

You got that right, we had a bear get into our food pack one night in the Boundary Waters. I couldn't believe how fast it ran when we scared it off.....damn thing would come back around each night. Had to get the hell out of there......couldn't sleep at all for the rest of the week.

Had a couple encounters with them while backpacking in the mtns of NC/TN as well.

4n_eatr
01-17-2014, 08:27 PM
I'd probably take an AR-50... With a Roger Alaskan in .480 as backup. That'd be the trip of a lifetime

fastone
01-21-2014, 01:52 PM
I don't know all the info but it's going to cost about 2500 it's a guided hunt and you stay out all week I guess you get to hunt other game while your out there if you get your bear the 1st day or so

Why pay that much, Kentucky has a bear season! They have an bow and gun season. In 2013, there was 10 bears killed in each season. The biggest was right at 400 pounds.

05yellowgt
01-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Whatever guns you have, go get bigger ones!!!

pegasus
01-22-2014, 03:12 AM
Why pay that much, Kentucky has a bear season! They have an bow and gun season. In 2013, there was 10 bears killed in each season. The biggest was right at 400 pounds.

I don't know anyone or anywhere to go bear hunting in ky and its also the adventure I've never been out west (not counting lax and the two blocks around my hotel room the farthest I've gone out that way is Chicago, from what I understand its almost worth it just to see the view

DSSKing68
01-22-2014, 07:27 AM
I bear hunt in PA every year. We have gotten 4 bears out of our camp. (I have not yet...LOL) I hunt bear with a 7mm, but my father took a nice bear with a .270, my cousin a .280, my uncle with a .338, and a friend with a .270. Well placed shots are the key. Here is a picture of a PA cinnamon bear, taken by our neighboring camp. We hunt in the Moshannon state forest, in Elk County. Plenty of bear in that area.

Gearhead
01-22-2014, 07:29 AM
I bear hunt in PA every year. We have gotten 4 bears out of our camp. (I have not yet...LOL) I hunt bear with a 7mm, but my father took a nice bear with a .270, my cousin a .280, my uncle with a .338, and a friend with a .270. Well placed shots are the key. Here is a picture of a PA cinnamon bear, taken by our neighboring camp. We hunt in the Moshannon state forest, in Elk County. Plenty of bear in that area.

What did it weigh ? Looks decent sized.....

SN95N/A
01-22-2014, 08:01 AM
Whats the point in killing bears? Is there good money in shooting one or something?

fastone
01-22-2014, 05:43 PM

Where did you stay at? I went a couple years ago horse back riding and stayed at Big Elk Lick Campground. PA also has an elk hunt. I have been putting in for their's ever since we went on our week long horse trip. Also while on our horses, we came upon some huge cow and bull elk bedded down, and I mean within 20-30 feet. We didn't mess with them, just a few pictures and left them alone.

pegasus
01-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Whats the point in killing bears? Is there good money in shooting one or something?

well im going to make the skin it into a coat and plan on using some of the bones to make buck knifes might sell the claws hand the skull up in the man cave and make a sight that says
DANGER BEAR CAVE
(bear crossed out)
SKULL
MAN CAVE

it looks good in my head but anyway I'm going to use as much as possible

seanm
01-22-2014, 11:24 PM
Used to bow hunt bear in New Mexico. Always ground hunted and tried to stalk them. Never made a kill. Apparently I suck at killing. LOL. Saw plenty, just never in a good position to fling an arrow at them.

I would assume a guided hunt will be from a tree stand with a food lure. Patience , careful attention to wind and smell should help, which a good guide should have sorted for you.

DSSKing68
01-23-2014, 04:39 PM
We have a camp in Quehanna. Been going up since I was a baby. I honestly forget how big that bear was, but it was a decent sized bear. The state record bear (I think it was broke this year though) was taken one mile from my camp, very close to where I hunt them. I am always a day late and a dollar short!

I was up for 12 days the beginning on January for late muzzleloader/archery season. It was cold, not much moving, but so peaceful. I love it there, always have.

I put in for the elk license raffle as well, but I have never been lucky enough to win a license. I had a beautiful bull elk walk up on me while I was out hunting this year.

Our camp is pretty rustic. We have electricity, but no water, cell phone service, internet....it is perfect! We do have satellite TV though. LOL

RIXXX93GT
03-05-2014, 11:41 PM
Went on a bear hunt in upper Idaho. Flew into Mizzoula,,,,thats a different experience. Almost everyone on the plane had fly fishing poles, the airport terminals were filled with huge stuffed bears. We slept up in the mountains in canvas tents with wood stove heaters. Listened to Mountain Lions all night, locals hate them. We had 2 camp cars. Ours was a 72 monte carlo, we would drop each other off at our site then hike about an hour to the tree stand. In my experience bears are very quiet and sneeky. I used a 7mm with a .357 backup gun. We hunted in late afternoon so you stayed in your stand until just before dark then hightailed it back to the drop off site hoping you werent being followed. We ate pancakes, bacon and elk steaks for breakfast. Beautiful country.