PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Sonic Cleaner

devous1
01-25-2014, 10:38 PM
I've been kicking around buying a sonic cleaner for some time now and today I finally picked one up. I've been watching comparisons between different types of cleaning and, tumbling, wet tumbling, sonic, etc. So I was in Cabelas looking around and they happened to have the Hornady Magnum Sonic cleaner for around 240. So I picked one up and some new tumbling media Lymans Tuf Nut to compare the two.

I tumbled about 250 5.56 with the lymans for about 2 hrs and cleaned about the same amount in the Hornady for 24 min at 110. I was incredibly surprised at how well the sonic cleaner worked. For my simple comparison I would say the sonic cleaner did considerably better. The actually came out bright and shiny, plus the primer pockets come out spotless. I see now downside at all, I think my tumbler will go back to being used for small car parts.

Now the bad news, when I initially filled it and plugged it in, the thing was making a noise like electrical arcing. Also anytime I would touch the front of the machine it would turn on and off. The controls just wouldn't work at all. Eventually it seemed to correct itself but obviously something is wrong with the thing so Ill be going back for an exchange.

Overall impression, better than I expected. :bigthumb

Mista Bone
01-25-2014, 11:56 PM
2.5L unit from Harbor Freight, same model as the Lyman, just different timer programing.

I used the HF unit with Simple green for transmission parts. Getting the solution HOT (almost boiling) really helps.

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1472093_602427816479009_1656143690_n.jpg

I used to have a Thumber's Tumbler and media for cleaning brass, had to sit it on a yellow pages due to the noise.

Grandpa used to put his 12 gauge hulls in a pillow case and toss them in the washer....talk about a racket!