PDA

View Full Version : Gun Buying question.

furiouslyfaster
02-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Ok so I think I have my wife convinced to let me buy a new hand gun, but here is the problem. Back in December we sold our house, and we are going to build a new one at a different location. Currently we are living with our parents while we shop for houses and what not so 1. I no longer live at the address on my license and 2. My mail is being forwarded to my inlaws so I really don't have an address.

So what do I do? Can I take them like a bill that was forwarded to my inlaws? A lot of my mail is still addressed to the one on my license so could I get away with using my old address. I don't really wanna go to jail I wouldn't last long lol.

Any ideas?

ibstrokin
02-07-2014, 05:13 PM
You will have to go to the DMV and have a new license with the correct address made, or buy a used gun in a face to face transaction. It is protocol to make sure you show your drivers license to each other to show each are an OHIO resident.

Ackbar00
02-07-2014, 06:00 PM
Just grind the serial number off. Cheaper and easier.

Kevin1989
02-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Yea I got a few throw away peices. They ain't dirty. Pm

jeep45238
02-07-2014, 11:36 PM
When filling out the 4473, make sure that the address you put on the form matches your ID. That's all there is to it.

jktruckin06
02-07-2014, 11:56 PM
What jeep said. That is all they worry about. I've bought them with my is being my old address.

furiouslyfaster
02-10-2014, 10:41 AM
Ok I wondered if I could do that. I was talking to my uncle and he has a friend with his FFL and mentioned the similar thing. He said they hang on to that form you fill out and that they do not send it in to the government or anything. I am still in shopping mode but I am kinda looking for something particular. I really like the Taurus PT-92. Any body have one of these? Or have any opinions? I know it's a clone of the Beretta which I have also looked at but I think I like the Taurus better. It's suppose to be an improved design and according to basspro the Taurus holds 2 more rounds (which idk if you can buy higher capacity magazines for those) but I also know a few people with the PT-92 and they like it. So I figured for shits and gigs i would get more opinions.

I don't currently have a handgun and don't really know my way around one so this is my first one. So yea what do you guys think.

Pops Fun
02-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Hi
Don't know you or anything but if you haven't shot or handled a few pistols I would go to the range with you and let you shoot some of mine? Anyway... Don't have the taurus you mentioned but have several 9mm's mp9c, ruger p89, plus some 45's Kimber, para, sig...

Anyway just throwing that out there. Should handle/shoot some guns before picking one...

Steve

SN95N/A
02-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Get a taurus 500 LOL

furiouslyfaster
02-10-2014, 02:23 PM
I'd rather have a Taurus SHO :)

furiouslyfaster
02-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Pops Fun I might have to hit you up on that. I have shot a few handguns just never really tinkered with one like find out how it's put together and stuff. I know the PT-92 is a bigger gun but I think I kinda like that about it, and I really enjoyed shooting my uncle PT-92. He also has a Taurus Judge which shoots 410 and I believe .45 and I did not like it lol.

Moody
02-10-2014, 02:35 PM
If you buy from a private seller no paper work no problem.

Goober
02-10-2014, 05:20 PM
I've been to a few FFL's that will take something from the government with your new address on it (ie: vehicle registration). But I've done what jeep said and never had an issue. The worst that'll happen is you'll be put on a hold for 3 days.

Pops Fun
02-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Pops Fun I might have to hit you up on that. I have shot a few handguns just never really tinkered with one like find out how it's put together and stuff. I know the PT-92 is a bigger gun but I think I kinda like that about it, and I really enjoyed shooting my uncle PT-92. He also has a Taurus Judge which shoots 410 and I believe .45 and I did not like it lol.

Hi
I have shot a judge, great gun for the purpose. Not something I would shot a lot for fun.. I am feeling under the weather so maybe next week???
If you would like you could stop by the house first and take a couple apart and talk safety...

Rustanggt98
02-11-2014, 09:36 PM
agree with Pops, shoot a couple first, take them apart and see how easy they will be to clean etc. Once you figure out which one is for you, check armslist.com and see what you can find it for. Usually you can find a used one local with no paperwork to mess with, or a dealer that is selling one and you can go that route with a good idea of what they are going for.

Talking about dealers only, I have bought two Springfield XDm's off of kylesgunshop.com and highly recommend Kyle. He has a shop now in Finneytown and frequents the Bill Goodman's gun shows in Sharonville and Dayton.

Moody
02-11-2014, 10:18 PM
depending what your looking for I probably have it or something close. I have 100+ guns and a out door range in wilmington ohio. I will let you shoot what ever I have. you just have to find the ammo. my dad teaches CCW too if you dont already have it.

furiouslyfaster
02-12-2014, 11:18 AM
I appreciate all your guys help, I def want to make sure I get something I will like and can actually use properly. Maybe if the weather straightens up and things fall into place I would love to shoot some other handguns. I think I would like to stick with something 9mm since it is a more common round and seems to be on the cheaper price side for ammo. Friday I want to stop in at the Town and Country store in Hillsboro and see what they have, and saturday me and the wife are going out and I planned on stopping at basspro to check out some stuff there too. I know everythings not always about looks I just want to find something that I think looks good but also shoots as good if not better than it looks.

Stangman
02-12-2014, 03:47 PM
give me your money, I'll buy your gun, then I can "sell" it to you privately. My address and and license are all correct.

furiouslyfaster
02-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Yea right jesse you'll prolly laugh and say if you want it come get it, and that would make our friendship awkward lol j/k

Stangman
02-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Lmao nahh but it clears up all the paperwork hassles for ya!

furiouslyfaster
02-13-2014, 10:45 AM
I'll have to see when I find one lol. I have a family member that knows a guy with his ffl and can order guns so that might be the fix to my issue, plus I like jeep45238's tactic lol.

Stangman
02-13-2014, 11:20 AM
I too, know someone who has their dealers license as well, and can usually knock a few bucks off the top.... whenever I have monies for bang bang toys..

I'd take Pop's up on his offer too, plus he's a helluva nice guy.. and has a mean SN95 :)

One thing I didnt see covered... are you shooting for a CCW gun or home defense?

furiouslyfaster
02-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Just home defense I think, I kinda like the larger framed handguns which are harder to conceal lol. I am really leaning towards the PT-92 because that is so far my favorite one I have shot. Eventually would like to get my CCW but I'll wait.

On another note we might have to take a trip to his house sometime. I do love me some SN95 and guns lol.