PDA

View Full Version : Ar15 builders

pegasus
02-26-2014, 02:20 AM
Hey guys I just picked up a spikes ar15 lower and lower parts kit....I might have bitten off more then I can chew anyone have a good at gun smith? Or anyone that builds ar15s??

jeep45238
02-26-2014, 07:33 AM
It's honestly really easy. I built my first one with a pair of vice grips and a penny nail, using my legs as a work bench.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_Assemble_your_own_LOWER__UPPER__FREE_FLOAT_ _TRIGGER__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.h tml

That's how I figured it out.

I used the vice grips to push in the roll pins. Wrap the jaws in tape to keep away scratches, and set the jaws so it's just touching the end of the pin, and the end of the opposite side of the hole. Open the jaws, give the screw a half twist, and close them down. Rinse and repeat until the pin is set. This works great for the bolt catch and the trigger guard pins, and will keep you from breaking off the ears of the trigger guard.

Kevin1989
02-26-2014, 11:03 AM
Yea it's really not that hard. Hell even if you buy all the tools you will be in all them for around 100 bucks and you can always use more tools :)

Black92LX
02-26-2014, 11:23 AM
You can build them with no tools.
Tools make it much easier but not necessary.
Brownell's has step by step videos on building.

WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!!!!!!!

Bman
02-26-2014, 12:15 PM
You tube is your friend.

pegasus
02-27-2014, 04:57 PM
thanks ill give it a try i still need to buy a upper

jeep45238
02-27-2014, 06:06 PM
I'd recommend buying a complete upper for your first one instead of building it. Palmetto state armory has daily deals - just be patient and you can snag a good deal. Their a little slow to deliver, but their prices and quality are pretty dang good. I paid $300 for a complete upper with a bolt carrier group.

pegasus
02-28-2014, 04:48 PM
I'd recommend buying a complete upper for your first one instead of building it. Palmetto state armory has daily deals - just be patient and you can snag a good deal. Their a little slow to deliver, but their prices and quality are pretty dang good. I paid $300 for a complete upper with a bolt carrier group.

yes I'm going to stick with a spikes upper

pegasus
03-02-2014, 11:55 PM
this is what i want to get
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5050R2D&name=Spikes+Tactical+14.5%22+Lightweight+5.56%2f.2 23+DynaComp+BAR-12+Upper+Receiver&groupid=750

4n_eatr
03-03-2014, 12:04 AM
It's honestly really easy. I built my first one with a pair of vice grips and a penny nail, using my legs as a work bench.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_Assemble_your_own_LOWER__UPPER__FREE_FLOAT_ _TRIGGER__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.h tml

That's how I figured it out.

I used the vice grips to push in the roll pins. Wrap the jaws in tape to keep away scratches, and set the jaws so it's just touching the end of the pin, and the end of the opposite side of the hole. Open the jaws, give the screw a half twist, and close them down. Rinse and repeat until the pin is set. This works great for the bolt catch and the trigger guard pins, and will keep you from breaking off the ears of the trigger guard.
Love that site. I need to find my login for it again. Lol.

MWoods26
03-03-2014, 01:09 AM

300 is a pretty good deal for a complete upper with BCG. I love Palmetto but they dont seem to have shit in stock right now. Just for the fun of it I wanted to build the cheapest possible AR I could. I have lots of time at work to surf the web and look for deals and it gives me something to do. I recently picked up a stripped lower and parts kit. I got less than 200 in my now complete lower with a collapsible stock and even a couple IMI polymer mags that Palmetto had on close out. If I can score a deal like that on an upper and have less than 500 bucks in a complete AR Im happy

jeep45238
03-03-2014, 07:55 AM
I'm on their mailing list, and only buy things that's on their daily deal or weekend deal. They do put up their M4 rifle kits for $499 with some frequency.

I know that my upper isn't the top end of anything, but if the barrel shoots well I'm probably going to pull the upper apart and send the bcg and barrel out for meloniting. After that toss on a Rainer XTC comp, and if the fancy hits me later down the road a Osprey piston with some Midwest Industries drop in rails.

I think that outside a rifle to compete in NRA service rifle, that'll be it for AR's for me (unless I go crazy and build a 3 gun match rifle).

pegasus
03-22-2014, 11:28 PM
i got this stock a few weeks ago
http://www.atigunstocks.com/ar15-stocks/131-ar-15-stikeforce-stock.html

jeep45238
03-22-2014, 11:43 PM
Honestly, as long as you have a good bolt carrier, practically everything else is personal preference.

I finally got a chance to shoot mine today, got it zero'd in and it runs like a sewing machine. After doing a few builds, I'm pretty damn happy with this one. I may send out the barrel for a melonite treatment if I can get a chance to shoot for accuracy, and it does pretty well.

PTAC 16" midlength upper, 1x8 twist (from PSA) - non chrome lined
PTAC bolt carrier group
Troy drop in handguards
Daniel Defense Aimpoint mount
Aimpoint Micro
Troy folding back up iron
VLTOR A5 buffer tube/buffer
VLTOR EMod stock (small bottle of lube stays in a storage tube)
A2 rifle spring
Magpul MOE pistol grip/trigger guard (I keep a spare BCM bolt and firing pin in there)
Magpul BAD lever
Giessle 2 stage trigger (no set screws)
BCM charging handle

It shot about 4 MOA today (1" groups at 25 yards) with a swinging target and no steady rest or sling to shoot with. Ran like a sewing machine with .12 and .14 split times.

I'm eyeballing a BCM fore grip, and a Rainer Arms XTC compensator, both should help me dial the accuracy and speed together when I'm doing fast drills, and possibly a Magpul MS4 sling (also looking at a Vickers , Viking Tactical or Tactical Taylor sling).

She ran like a sewing machine with 4 different types of mags today with XM193 ammo and is all ready for the long distance range later this year. I don't think I'll be using a piston on this one; I've never used Frog Lube on an AR before, and after several hundred rounds of very, very fast split times the carbon on the boat tail just wiped off with my hand.

pegasus
03-25-2014, 01:46 PM
I got my upper and charging handle on order next its a barrel/gas block and tube then Black Nitride Bolt Carrier Group from shadow opps weaponry SHDW-CTTR flash hider after that a rail and optics

jeep45238
03-25-2014, 06:37 PM
Who are you using for a rail/optic package?

pegasus
03-26-2014, 02:07 AM
Who are you using for a rail/optic package?

Haven't picked that out yet I want to go to a few gun shows and see what's out there and what looks and feels right I'm not super crazy about this plane jane grip that came with my lower parts kit too it feels to small for my hand

pegasus
03-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Red jacket puts there name on a nice rail

jeep45238
03-26-2014, 09:00 PM
I really, really prefer a slim rail, it's more flexible to different shooting techniques than the larger ones (that one linked to with the BAR rail - BAR stands for big ass rail (no kidding, i remember when they were R&Ding it)). Especially if you put on rail covers.

I really like the design of the BCM key mod rail they just released, but can't justify the price at all. The Troy free float battle rails would be my first pick if I was going to get a rail system that was free floated (I've used Larue, and they're nice, but way too expensive for what you get in the end).

Check out a MagPul MOE grip - you'll likely enjoy that one if you just want your hand to be slightly filled up, but don't want a huge grip on the lower.

pegasus
03-26-2014, 11:53 PM
I really, really prefer a slim rail, it's more flexible to different shooting techniques than the larger ones (that one linked to with the BAR rail - BAR stands for big ass rail (no kidding, i remember when they were R&Ding it)). Especially if you put on rail covers.

I really like the design of the BCM key mod rail they just released, but can't justify the price at all. The Troy free float battle rails would be my first pick if I was going to get a rail system that was free floated (I've used Larue, and they're nice, but way too expensive for what you get in the end).

Check out a MagPul MOE grip - you'll likely enjoy that one if you just want your hand to be slightly filled up, but don't want a huge grip on the lower.

Aim was selling that key mod rail as a set with the lower but it was still 400 something. I gotta say I think I have the AR bug now I kinda want to buld a AR15 pistol and a 22 and a 308 lol after I buy the tool why not

pegasus
03-27-2014, 12:00 AM
I meant with the upper

pegasus
03-27-2014, 02:29 AM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/winkysrides/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_8681.jpg (http://s96.photobucket.com/user/winkysrides/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_8681.jpg.html)

jeep45238
03-27-2014, 03:07 AM
Sign up for palmetto state armory's email alert (home page, left side). Daily emails go out about uppers on sale, and some are a smoking hot deal.

Bman
03-27-2014, 08:39 AM
Sign up for palmetto state armory's email alert (home page, left side). Daily emails go out about uppers on sale, and some are a smoking hot deal.

Only if you don't need anything quick. I have never got anything fast still waiting on an order I placed in February.

MWoods26
03-27-2014, 09:14 AM
Only if you don't need anything quick. I have never got anything fast still waiting on an order I placed in February.

I have never had anything from them take more than two weeks but have seen many people post in other forums how they always take forever to ship. Maybe I'm just lucky. Earlier this week the daily deal was on one of their premium M4 uppers complete with BCG and charging handle for 369 and I snagged it. I will see how long it takes to get here.

jeep45238
03-27-2014, 10:57 AM
It Takes about Two And A Half Weeks On Uppers Since They Are Built To Order. For The Price I Got I Was Happy To wait.

Bman
03-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Im waiting on bcg's. To finish up two builds.

pegasus
03-27-2014, 03:16 PM
new parts will be here monday

pegasus
03-31-2014, 04:25 PM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/winkysrides/ar15upperlower.jpg (http://s96.photobucket.com/user/winkysrides/media/ar15upperlower.jpg.html)

pegasus
03-31-2014, 04:27 PM
i used a white out pen to color fill and whipped it off with some 91% alcohol im goin to hit it with some clear coat to see how it holds up

pegasus
04-04-2014, 03:21 PM
spikes tactical BCG and Magpul MOE Rifle Length Handguard are en route

pegasus
04-10-2014, 11:16 AM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/winkysrides/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3006.jpg (http://s96.photobucket.com/user/winkysrides/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3006.jpg.html)

pegasus
04-10-2014, 12:08 PM
and other than optics all the other parts should be here by Tuesday!

pegasus
04-14-2014, 11:00 AM
i need a front hand guard retaining cap all the other parts are here

pegasus
05-07-2014, 11:14 AM
your all right last week I ran to rual king on my lunch break bought some punches and a hammer and a hex key kit from the bargain bin and watched youtube while putting my lower together

Last night I test fired my ar15 the good news is it didn't blowup so that's good but it didn't eject and reload if I get a lunch break I'm going look into my gas system and make sure I don't have a kink or something i guess that's the best place to start but once the round was fired i had a hellva time pulling the charging handle back so don't know the deal there everything in the action looks good after the round was cleared the action moved freely i was shooting the cheap 556x45nato rounds from wal*mart

jeep45238
05-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Try good ammo before you tear into anything. Anything that says XM should be good to go.

Also take a second and take a picture if it does mess up. I'm willing to gander that you used Tula ammo - that stuff is so inconsistent and underpowered it's a miracle any AR's psuedo work on it.

pegasus
05-08-2014, 10:36 AM
I adjusted the gas block it runs like a champ

DeckerEnt
09-08-2014, 12:54 PM
I have an Anderson stripped lower and just ordered a lower parts kit. Anderson is on Facebook and are local in Hebron Ky. My first build!!!!

Black92LX
09-08-2014, 08:47 PM
These current prices are great. I have been collecting parts for a few months cherry picking sales
Have everything but sights. I just missed Troy folding battle sights for $150.
So far I have the following waiting to be assembled:
Anderson Arms lower
PSA Premium lower build kit with Blackhawk/Knoxx furniture though I think I will sell that buttstock for the new Hogue overmolded that was just released.
PSA Upper with 16" Stainless Steel barrel
Rainier Arms Force Keymod Free Float Handguard
Aim BCG
At this point I am in it for just at $600. Unreal.
Picked up a slew of Pmags at $8 a piece. A couple spare BCGs. I figure stack it deep while it's cheap. We're on the downslide of the panic thankfully. But there will be more.