PDA

View Full Version : Ohio issues record number of concealed carry licenses

Pops Fun
03-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Would like to know the total since 2004 :)

Ohio issues record number of concealed carry licenses

http://www.13abc.com/story/24861003/ohio-issues-record-number-of-concealed-carry-licenses

ibstrokin
03-02-2014, 01:08 PM
An armed society is a polite society.

Rick93coupe
03-02-2014, 01:32 PM
An armed society is a polite society.

QFT

svtfox
03-02-2014, 05:37 PM
i received mine in 13

89notch
03-02-2014, 07:19 PM
I forgot to renew my Ohio license last year. I need to do that to add a few more states than I get with my Florida. Anyone know what the best combinations of licenses to get the most states?

Walter
03-02-2014, 07:26 PM
The Utah permit is a nice addition.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

One thing to not is that Alabama now accepts all other states. This is nice for Ohioans with one CCW when travelling south, Gulf, panhandle etc...

Rick93coupe
03-02-2014, 08:02 PM
It bothers me that you can't get a permit that allows you to carry wherever you travel, without having to get multiple permits. A background check is a background check right?

jeep45238
03-02-2014, 08:14 PM
No, since different states treat things different. For example, as of right now Ohio will only recognize states that have traning prior to issue, and this is the basis of current reciprocity.

That is currently under works to get changed.

redfirepearlgt
03-02-2014, 08:15 PM
It bothers me that you can't get a permit that allows you to carry wherever you travel, without having to get multiple permits. A background check is a background check right?

I believe that some states require more training than the course offers in Ohio while others use it to generate revenue. But yes you are correct a background check is a background check.

Rick93coupe
03-02-2014, 09:03 PM
I believe that some states require more training than the course offers in Ohio while others use it to generate revenue. But yes you are correct a background check is a background check.

I hadn't considered class room or range time, good call.

Pops Fun
03-03-2014, 07:41 AM
Hi
If HB203 passed the Senate this year as written, it will cut Ohio's training time and make reciprocity much better, if a state recognizes out license then we will recognize there.s the Attorney general will have no say. It will also make our background check a NICS check which will help with Texas and some other states.
http://www.lsc.state.oh.us/analyses130/h0203-i-130.pdf
I was at the State house last week talking with Senators and there aides about this bill with about 20 other like minded people....
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj22/Popsfun/2014/State%20House%20Feb/Rotunda-Adjusted_zpsd58548cc.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/user/Popsfun/media/2014/State%20House%20Feb/Rotunda-Adjusted_zpsd58548cc.jpg.html)

the State House is beautiful if you get up there take a look.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj22/Popsfun/2014/State%20House%20Feb/IMAG0485_zps65497f55.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/user/Popsfun/media/2014/State%20House%20Feb/IMAG0485_zps65497f55.jpg.html)

05yellowgt
03-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Hi
If HB203 passed the Senate this year as written, it will cut Ohio's training time and make reciprocity much better, if a state recognizes out license then we will recognize there.s the Attorney general will have no say. It will also make our background check a NICS check which will help with Texas and some other states.
http://www.lsc.state.oh.us/analyses130/h0203-i-130.pdf
I was at the State house last week talking with Senators and there aides about this bill with about 20 other like minded people....
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj22/Popsfun/2014/State%20House%20Feb/Rotunda-Adjusted_zpsd58548cc.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/user/Popsfun/media/2014/State%20House%20Feb/Rotunda-Adjusted_zpsd58548cc.jpg.html)

the State House is beautiful if you get up there take a look.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj22/Popsfun/2014/State%20House%20Feb/IMAG0485_zps65497f55.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/user/Popsfun/media/2014/State%20House%20Feb/IMAG0485_zps65497f55.jpg.html)
Very cool that you are actively involved in the process. I personally don't care for that bill though. Lowering the training requirements is not a good idea IMO. When I took my CCW class last spring, nearly half of the people in the class had never even held a gun before, let alone fire one. I believe that the more responsible and trained gun owners there are out there the better, but training is key.

If I were King of Ohio, I would require a 4 hour gun intro class and test, a 4 hour basic firearm introduction live fire range class, a 4 hour CCW class and test, and a 4 hour CCW proficiency live fire test. The CCW live fire test would be a lot more than what they require now. You'd need to show you can hit a target standing, crouching, hiding behind a barrier, etc. I'd even consider throwing in real life simulation drill where you'd be confronted with a random scenario and see if you were correct in judging whether or not to use your firearm or not. Things like having a woman's purse snatched, having someone come around the corner wielding a knife, or bat, being held up at gunpoint etc., getting confronted in a dark area by someone who you can't see fully do to shadows that appears to be holding a dangerous object etc.

Pops Fun
03-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Personally glad you're not king!! :lol:

You realize that anyone in Ohio can carry a gun right?? Just not concealed, outside carry has been legal since the state was incorporated/made whatever they do.

So states like Indiana, Alaska and several others that require no test....
What, they shouldn't be allowed to carry in Ohio, maybe you shouldn't drive through there, they have people with firearms and no training..??

Only the physically fit should get licensed?? Doctors cert. next?? I am 67 yrs old (well next month) and don't kneel/bend without pain any more, maybe only people under 50yr. old???

Personally ... it up to the individual to continue his firearms education.... A lot like a drivers license, just because you pass the test doesn't make you a responsible driver, years of practice...

By the way I go to TDI every couple years and move and shoot, not much kneeling going on there and have repeated the Ohio Concealed carry class again. Also have Utah license, more training. You can go as often as you desire.

Just for the record it's not a CCW, not for weapons at all. Can't carry a knife using it.... it's a License to carry a concealed handgun.

Please take the time to consider going to Ohioians for concealed carry forum to keep up with what is happening with concealed carry, very informative. http://www.ohioccwforums.org/

Anyway I could go on but maybe you better understand where I'm coming from, I hope.

Anyway stepping down off soap box. :)

05yellowgt
03-03-2014, 12:12 PM
I'm very much on your side and I make it a point to continue to stay up to date on the latest ORC regarding firearms rights and regulations. I opened carried before getting my CCW license last year. I agree with everything you said, but there is a problem that you and I and every other responsible gun owner has that threatens ALL of our rights.

That problem is the irresponsible gun owner. It is the irresponsible owner who leaves their weapon unsecured and a child gets their hands on it and shoots themselves or someone else that puts our rights in danger. It is the irresponsible owner who shoots a child who is trying to get help after being involved in a car accident that puts our rights in danger. it is the irresponsible owner that shoots a teenager over loud music that puts our rights in danger.

I feel the only hope to maintain our rights is to put into place regulations that may seem like a pain in the ass, but it might be our only chance of being able to continuing to enjoy our right to bear arms.

05yellowgt
03-03-2014, 12:12 PM
I'm very much on your side and I make it a point to continue to stay up to date on the latest ORC regarding firearms rights and regulations. I opened carried before getting my CCW license last year. I agree with everything you said, but there is a problem that you and I and every other responsible gun owner has that threatens ALL of our rights.

That problem is the irresponsible gun owner. It is the irresponsible owner who leaves their weapon unsecured and a child gets their hands on it and shoots themselves or someone else that puts our rights in danger. It is the irresponsible owner who shoots a child who is trying to get help after being involved in a car accident that puts our rights in danger. it is the irresponsible owner that shoots a teenager over loud music that puts our rights in danger.

I feel the only hope to maintain our rights is to put into place regulations that may seem like a pain in the ass, but it might be our only chance of being able to continuing to enjoy our right to bear arms.

Pops Fun
03-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Hi
Actually no one knows what the law will look like when passed.. There will be compromises..

I also believe responsible people are a problem certainly.
I believe that only .01% of concealed carriers have had there license revoked. There are around 430,000 of us in Ohio

(Disclaimer... I respect the police, but they are human...)
The Officer that shoots a child answering the door with a Wii, or shooting a vet reaching for his cane contributes to this problem also, not only people with there concealed carry. Actually there is a study out comparing police to concealed carry people. I believe it is the Lott study, I haven't read it .. only been told about it.. I will see if I can find it...

Steve

jeep45238
03-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Putting regulations on rights inherintly makes them no longer rights.

Rick93coupe
03-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Puttring regulations on rights inherintly makes them no longer rights.

Well said.

05yellowgt
03-04-2014, 02:01 AM
Putting regulations on rights inherintly makes them no longer rights.
Is the right to vote not a right unless we let anyone vote without proving who they are, if they are registered, or are even a citizen of this Country? I'd argue that voting is in fact a right, but you should be able to provide a simple form of government ID to prove who you are at a polling place. I also believe that if you care so much about your right to vote that you can cast your vote ON ELECTION day and there shouldn't be eleventeen different early voting days. Can't make it to vote on election day, mail in an absentee ballot.

I'm as pro-gun rights as they come, but we can't continue to have the right to bear arms without reasonable parameters in which to do so. Convicted felons should never have a gun. Someone without the proper training should never have a gun. A person who cannot properly secure their gun, should never own one. Training should be mandatory as well as being able to show basic proficiency. Background checks shouldn't be needed for every firearms sale. You should be able to apply for a gun license of sort. It would be similar to applying for a passport, except you go through the same background check that you do today whenever you make a purchase through an FFL. That license would be required to be shown for every transaction, and tied to a national database of criminal and mental heath records. If you commit a crime, or otherwise become ineligible to continue to own firearms then you will be required to sell or give away your weapons. There wouldn't be any records of what guns, or how many guns you own, just that you have passed a national background check. It would help to shut up the gun nuts and make it easier for us to transact purchases at the same time as well as likely be cheaper.

jeep45238
03-04-2014, 07:32 AM
Is the right to vote not a right unless we let anyone vote without proving who they are, if they are registered, or are even a citizen of this Country? I'd argue that voting is in fact a right, but you should be able to provide a simple form of government ID to prove who you are at a polling place. I also believe that if you care so much about your right to vote that you can cast your vote ON ELECTION day and there shouldn't be eleventeen different early voting days. Can't make it to vote on election day, mail in an absentee ballot.

I'm as pro-gun rights as they come, but we can't continue to have the right to bear arms without reasonable parameters in which to do so. Convicted felons should never have a gun. Someone without the proper training should never have a gun. A person who cannot properly secure their gun, should never own one. Training should be mandatory as well as being able to show basic proficiency. Background checks shouldn't be needed for every firearms sale. You should be able to apply for a gun license of sort. It would be similar to applying for a passport, except you go through the same background check that you do today whenever you make a purchase through an FFL. That license would be required to be shown for every transaction, and tied to a national database of criminal and mental heath records. If you commit a crime, or otherwise become ineligible to continue to own firearms then you will be required to sell or give away your weapons. There wouldn't be any records of what guns, or how many guns you own, just that you have passed a national background check. It would help to shut up the gun nuts and make it easier for us to transact purchases at the same time as well as likely be cheaper.

Since voting is a right of an American citizen in this country, not a right of a Spanish citizen, once citizenship is established then it's not a regulation is it? I mailed in my Ohio ballot from Texas last check. I'm OK with early voting, as long as we all get the same number of votes and they are all counted the same. Situations do happen, and life can get in the way, situations where you may not know they are coming in time to request a absentee ballot to mail in.

Frankly, I do not agree at all with your stance about who can, and who can not, have a firearm or what they should have prior to ownership. For example - convicted felons never having a gun; what if minor possession of pot (currently a misdomeaner) gets upped to a class 3 felony? Same crime, same person.

Proper training? Who says what is proper training? 6 years in the military? 12 hours in a class room? What is keeping that standard definition of 'proper' from changing over the years? You really should take a look at what was done to blacks during the Jim Crow era in the south in regards to voting (how many bubbles on this bar of soap is not a literacy test).

Gun license? Buddy, that's straight up registration/records right there, and in the same breath you say there shouldn't be a background check yet you should be able to pass a national background check.

To hell with the 'gun nuts' as you put it. I will not waiver with my god given rights, and you shouldn't either.

It is that attitude that does more harm to our rights than any other thing in existence (even politicians).

05yellowgt
03-04-2014, 09:30 AM
You shouldn't have to pass (and pay) for a background check every time you buy a gun. Having a license to own takes care of that issue. I specifically stated that there would be no records of what guns your own, no serial numbers tracked, no duty to report when and who you sold your weapons to, just that there needs to be a way to show that if you did sell your weapon, that the person had a license. It is already against the law to sell a firearm knowingly to someone who is prohibited from owning one. Having a license is just a way of simplifying the process.

Let's be honest for a moment, do you think that for one second that the government doesn't keep a record of who is having background checks done by FFL's which means they already have a record of everyone who has ever purchased a gun through a dealer? Granted they won't know who's bought want in private transactions but I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that they have a database somewhere that says who owns guns and who doesn't somewhere.

My whole point about the voting thing is that there are regulations in place there and most reasonable people believe there should be regulations in place to protect that right so that it is not abused. The same thing should apply to every other right, including gun ownership. It would be unreasonable to say that the right to bear arms is universal, while something like the right to vote should have regulation. Liberals want to loosen those regulations around voting to up their voting numbers and at the same time many of them want to eliminate the right to bear arms. Many conservatives want to tighten regulations on the right to vote, but want no laws outlining legal gun ownership.

As far as who sets guidelines for training, that is something that would have to be figured out. Let me ask you, or anyone else a question. Do you want someone at the range, or in everyday life that doesn't know the basic operations of a firearm walking around with a loaded weapon? There are unfortunately a lot of people out there that don't even know how to do something basic like operate the safety or don't know better than to always treat a firearm as if it is loaded and keep their damn fingers off the trigger. Laws change over time though, so I don't think that there would be a single standard across the states and across time. Felons shouldn't be allowed to own weapons. It isn't that hard to follow the law (even if laws on things like pot seem unreasonable) it isn't that hard to follow them. It should be legal IMO, there just needs to be a good way to test and detect OVI involving cannabis.

Pops Fun
03-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Just for perspective... just a discussion, nothing more.. God Bess

I oppose things that take away rights, have been leaning more toward Liberation all the time, with that said.

As you say, there is, I am sure, a list of gun owners somewhere.. I have read that for a while some of the chain stores were giving a list of owners to the local police every month (Dicks). My idea is that the less they know the better, if they have the list now why give them a more complete list. After you give them a list what is next. Just as we do baby steps to pass gun laws, the left is slowly working the other way, give them a list what is next.
We're already seeing in Connecticut that they know who haven't registered all their guns and magazines, next they're going to go door to door... big trouble then..

Elections matter, people.... think before you vote, we could end up like that.
There is a bill HB 31 that basically says that a gun in your home must be locked up....

BILL SUMMARY
Prohibits a person from storing or leaving a firearm in the person's residence if the person knows or reasonably should know that a minor could gain access to the firearm, unless the firearm is secured or rendered inoperable, or unless the minor gains access to the firearm as the result of another person's unlawful entry into the residence.  Does not prohibit a person who is in the person's residence from carrying a firearm on the person's person or placing a firearm in a location that is under the person's immediate control.

Don't think it has much chance but who knows....
My grandkids come over at least 3 days a week, I have 3 long guns not locked up. 2 black powder (powder locked up) and a Mosin that is in pieces.. (Refinishing)., and of course my carry gun which i wear, and they know it... and have been told about gun safety.

Elections matter

Anti-gun bills we oppose

S.B. 18 - Ammunition transaction database
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bill ... =130_SB_18
HB 31 - "Safe" Storage Act
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bill ... =130_HB_31
HB 119 - FFL perform background check
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bill ... 130_HB_119
HB 137 - Gun registry, no private sales/transfers
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bill ... 130_HB_137
HB 160 - Civil Protection Orderees must surrender firearms to authorities
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bill ... 130_HB_160
HB 184 - Hunting License background check
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bill ... 130_HB_184
HB 222 - Government safety warnings with gun purchase
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bill ... 130_HB_222

Elections Matter

jeep45238
03-04-2014, 06:04 PM
You shouldn't have to pass (and pay) for a background check every time you buy a gun. Having a license to own takes care of that issue. I specifically stated that there would be no records of what guns your own, no serial numbers tracked, no duty to report when and who you sold your weapons to, just that there needs to be a way to show that if you did sell your weapon, that the person had a license. It is already against the law to sell a firearm knowingly to someone who is prohibited from owning one. Having a license is just a way of simplifying the process.

Let's be honest for a moment, do you think that for one second that the government doesn't keep a record of who is having background checks done by FFL's which means they already have a record of everyone who has ever purchased a gun through a dealer? Granted they won't know who's bought want in private transactions but I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that they have a database somewhere that says who owns guns and who doesn't somewhere.

My whole point about the voting thing is that there are regulations in place there and most reasonable people believe there should be regulations in place to protect that right so that it is not abused. The same thing should apply to every other right, including gun ownership. It would be unreasonable to say that the right to bear arms is universal, while something like the right to vote should have regulation. Liberals want to loosen those regulations around voting to up their voting numbers and at the same time many of them want to eliminate the right to bear arms. Many conservatives want to tighten regulations on the right to vote, but want no laws outlining legal gun ownership.

As far as who sets guidelines for training, that is something that would have to be figured out. Let me ask you, or anyone else a question. Do you want someone at the range, or in everyday life that doesn't know the basic operations of a firearm walking around with a loaded weapon? There are unfortunately a lot of people out there that don't even know how to do something basic like operate the safety or don't know better than to always treat a firearm as if it is loaded and keep their damn fingers off the trigger. Laws change over time though, so I don't think that there would be a single standard across the states and across time. Felons shouldn't be allowed to own weapons. It isn't that hard to follow the law (even if laws on things like pot seem unreasonable) it isn't that hard to follow them. It should be legal IMO, there just needs to be a good way to test and detect OVI involving cannabis.

Forgive me for not doing a complete read/write rebuttal, but I just got off work, my knee hurts like hell, and we buried the family member of a co-worker at today's detail; I just don't have it in me right now.

That said:

I don't think you should have to pass a background check period (or pay for one-you're using the wrong FFL if you do pay for one). Eliminating that requirement period elimates a bunch of hassles, and completely simplifies the process to the same as selling any other piece of personal property. Actually, come to think of it, it's been years since I sold with a background check, or bought with one.

I see no reason to aide in any creation, or completion, of any list of personal property of any sort.

Just step back for a minute and change your argument from the second amendment, to the first. You need a license to worship as you choose - to speak freely - to assemble. What about needing a license to avoid undue searchs or seizures? What about a list to keep you from having to provide me shelter as a member of the military?

Doesn't sound too hot once you change the subject matter, but keep your proposals about restricting 1/10th of my bill of rights. After all, the above listed subjects are only 3/10th of your bill of rights. I mean that's reasonable right, it's less than 50%.

The point is I will gladly embrace a dangerous liberty to avoid a safe servitude. And rights should NEVER be regulated or restricted until they impact another citizen's rights (which is why we have a legal system). Period.

Mista Bone
03-05-2014, 12:04 AM
Pops Fun,

Your grand kids and everyone else you know that is normally in the house, knows about the guns, but "what if" one of them was to bring a friend in as well.

IMHO that is when accidents happen, I'd love to see the number on that scenario.

Myself, I didn't have a problem under the Brady bill waiting 3 days for the back ground check. Most people that desire a gun "right now" for protection issue don't have the proper knowledge/training needed to be carrying. Now if a person has completed required training and classroom and is issued a permit, then no waiting.

If anyone "needs" a gun right now, say a lady that has a protection order against her estranged husband, they can bypass the 3 day waiting period by taking a basic gun skills class. Kich (sp?) of Target World (old owners) used to give free 1 on 1 classes if the store wasn't busy. IIRC a new handgu purchase came with free 12 hour range time/ Buyer would purchase 50 round box of ammo and Kich would spend as much time as needed on the range. Up to two hours one time.

Also I believe there should be a re-qualification every number of years. Something that should be done with drivers as they get older, I just turned 47 BTW.

Conn.: This one has me worried. Simply because if the law is not stayed or repealed there will likely be bloodshed on both sides.

Mista Bone
03-05-2014, 12:05 AM
Pops Fun,

Your grand kids and everyone else you know that is normally in the house, knows about the guns, but "what if" one of them was to bring a friend in as well.

IMHO that is when accidents happen, I'd love to see the number on that scenario.

Myself, I didn't have a problem under the Brady bill waiting 3 days for the back ground check. Most people that desire a gun "right now" for protection issue don't have the proper knowledge/training needed to be carrying. Now if a person has completed required training and classroom and is issued a permit, then no waiting.

If anyone "needs" a gun right now, say a lady that has a protection order against her estranged husband, they can bypass the 3 day waiting period by taking a basic gun skills class. Kich (sp?) of Target World (old owners) used to give free 1 on 1 classes if the store wasn't busy. IIRC a new handgu purchase came with free 12 hour range time/ Buyer would purchase 50 round box of ammo and Kich would spend as much time as needed on the range. Up to two hours one time.

Also I believe there should be a re-qualification every number of years. Something that should be done with drivers as they get older, I just turned 47 BTW.

Conn.: This one has me worried. Simply because if the law is not stayed or repealed there will likely be bloodshed on both sides.

Pops Fun
03-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Pops Fun,

This sounds a little personal...

All children are safe from guns in my house. Yes if HB31 passes I would be breaking the law with the rifles that are out... Understand I said 2 black powder rifles (think musket) with powder locked up.... I don't think a child could load a black powder rifle much less find the bullets, unlock the safe, get the powder and primers (both in safe)... The other rifle is a Mosin Naught in pieces, don't think they could assemble that one, I might have trouble. The bayonet from the Mosin would be a danger though. I know a law saying no bayonets or sharp things in the house.
But I would still be arrested... we don't need more laws.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj22/Popsfun/2014/Guns/State%20House%20Feb/IMAG0471_zps63ecd2ea.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/user/Popsfun/media/2014/Guns/State%20House%20Feb/IMAG0471_zps63ecd2ea.jpg.html)

How about this one... A man was showing his girl friend how safe his guns were by putting them up to his head and pulling the trigger... the first 2 were safe, the 3rd not so much.. Do we need a law saying don't point a gun at your head...???
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/michigan-man-shoots-himself-demonstrating-gun-safety
You can't legislate stupidity...

Well if a friend I know needs a gun I'll give it to them as a gift.. if it would make them safer... minutes waiting not days..

I have trouble with the state legislating laws when common sense should prevail.
Also they never take any laws off the books.. Just pile law on top of law..
Ending on a lighter note.... here are a few samples

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/ohio

It is illegal to mistreat anything of great importance.

No civil arrests may be made on Sunday or on the Fourth of July

In Ohio, if you ignore an orator on Decoration day to such an extent as to publicly play croquet or pitch horseshoes within one mile of the speaker’s stand, you can be fined $25.

Women are prohibited from wearing patent leather shoes in public.

Participating or conducting a duel is prohibited.

It is illegal for more than five women to live in a house.
Cincinnati
Anal intercourse is banned.
Cleveland
It’s illegal to catch mice without a hunting license!
Women are forbidden from wearing patent leather shoes, lest men see reflections of their underwear.

05yellowgt
03-05-2014, 09:58 AM
A muzzle loader should logically be exempt (law could and should change if it was passed as you said). I would also be of the opinion that your disassembled Mosin would be considered inoperable.

Our society is sadly lacking in common sense. Just look at the stories that pop up everyday of children shooting themselves or someone else because they come upon an unsecured firearm. Would you agree that the owner of said firearm should be held accountable for such a situation?

05yellowgt
03-05-2014, 09:58 AM
A muzzle loader should logically be exempt (law could and should change if it was passed as you said). I would also be of the opinion that your disassembled Mosin would be considered inoperable.

Our society is sadly lacking in common sense. Just look at the stories that pop up everyday of children shooting themselves or someone else because they come upon an unsecured firearm. Would you agree that the owner of said firearm should be held accountable for such a situation?

Pops Fun
03-05-2014, 10:19 AM

Edit: I feel incredibly sad for anyone that has lost a loved one especially a child for any reason!!

Lock them up for stupidity... Unfortunately stupidity isn't against the law.. :(
Just think of all the people that could be locked up. :lol:

Perhaps gun safety should be taught in school, take the curiosity out of the situation. NRA has a course for children. Eddie Eagle I think... I think the main thrust is if you find a gun tell an adult.

Pops Fun
03-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Getting back toward the original post.. Not that this discussion isn't fun!! :)

"A total of 96,972 Ohioans obtained a permit last year. That’s about 50 percent more than the previous record, which was set in 2012 when 64,650 new licenses were granted.
About 440,000 permits have been issued since the program began in 2004."

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/summit-county-sees-65-percent-surge-in-concealed-weapon-permits-1.470705#.UxYJBca4AKA.facebook

05yellowgt
03-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Edit: I feel incredibly sad for anyone that has lost a loved one especially a child for any reason!!

Lock them up for stupidity... Unfortunately stupidity isn't against the law.. :(

Perhaps gun safety should be taught in school, take the curiosity out of the situation. NRA has a course for children. Eddie Eagle I think... I think the main thrust is if you find a gun tell an adult.
There wouldn't be enough guards in the world if we locked up because of stupid. I very strongly believe that anyone that creates a situation that allows a child to find and discharge a firearm is criminally negligent and should have the book thrown at them. My kids are definitely going to be introduced and exposed to firearms as they grow up. Childhood education is a great idea.

k062693w
03-05-2014, 10:45 AM
We had Gun Safety taught to us by the DNR in 5th and 6th grade ... It was half a day for a week ... They brought in guns, showed films, etc. ... But I guarantee"Most" parents would be in an uproar if they tried that now !!!

05yellowgt
03-05-2014, 11:03 AM
We had Gun Safety taught to us by the DNR in 5th and 6th grade ... It was half a day for a week ... They brought in guns, showed films, etc. ... But I guarantee"Most" parents would be in an uproar if they tried that now !!!
Seems like a great idea to me. The fear the many anti-gun parents try to instill in their kids these days turns into curiosity if one is found. They fear getting in trouble so they handle them in secret and we know what can happen there. I'd rather my kids, and everyone's kids for that matter have a large dose of respect for firearms and what they can do. Part of that is actually firing a gun. Feel the impact of the gun going off in their chest. Feeling the kickback and smelling the burnt propellant. That way, if they ever encounter an unsecured firearm they understand exactly what it can do.

k062693w
03-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Seems like a great idea to me. The fear the many anti-gun parents try to instill in their kids these days turns into curiosity if one is found. They fear getting in trouble so they handle them in secret and we know what can happen there. I'd rather my kids, and everyone's kids for that matter have a large dose of respect for firearms and what they can do. Part of that is actually firing a gun. Feel the impact of the gun going off in their chest. Feeling the kickback and smelling the burnt propellant. That way, if they ever encounter an unsecured firearm they understand exactly what it can do.

EXACTLY !!! That's the way I was raised and my Children are being taught the same !!!

Curiosity Killed the Cat !!!

Mista Bone
03-05-2014, 10:00 PM

Eddie Eagle it is, takes about half hour to run through the basics.