PDA

View Full Version : Engine cleaner?

Kevin1989
03-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Anyone have a recommendation for a degreaser? While I have just the long block in my car is like to clean everything. Is there anything that won't remove paint if I get some over spray? Purple power works but Ibhave seem it remove paint. Thanks fellas

redfirepearlgt
03-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Gunk has always been a good friend to me Kevin. The Citrus variety if you can still find it works real well. I never allow it to dry on its own. I have always used either an air compressor to blow the engine dry with or even reversed the flow on a wet/dry vac and used that which actually works even better because of the constant pressure and flow. Make sure you wrap the alternator in a plastic bag and any other major electrical component before you start like the instructions say.

Lots of folks like the Sea Foam but I have never used that.

chris91
03-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Just dilute the purple power and it wont peel the paint.

kmp
03-06-2014, 11:15 PM
The gunk degreaser works really well. One thing I like to do once I am finished I like to use the Black Magic Foaming Tire Wet aerosol can. I spray it on all the desired areas being mindful of not spraying the connectors or cover them up when I remember too. After a few minutes and the typical dripping action of the tire foam as it is working it's magic, it really leaves a clean matte finish on the black duct work, with minimal cleanup.

redfirepearlgt
03-06-2014, 11:25 PM
The gunk degreaser works really well. One thing I like to do once I am finished I like to use the Black Magic Foaming Tire Wet aerosol can. I spray it on all the desired areas being mindful of not spraying the connectors or cover them up when I remember too. After a few minutes and the typical dripping action of the tire foam as it is working it's magic, it really leaves a clean matte finish on the black duct work, with minimal cleanup.

I like that. Will keep that one in mind

Kevin1989
03-06-2014, 11:26 PM
Yea it's just the engine block in there now. I'm going to tape up all the wires it's just got years of road gunk on the block and shit

04 Venom
03-07-2014, 12:35 AM
Keep in mind to avoid products containing silicon; it migrates and will compromise electrical connections.

kmp
03-07-2014, 11:03 AM
Yeah Good Point 04 Venom... the silicone ... bad stuff... definitely watch the electrical connections with that stuff, or cover them up..

plated
03-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Zep

mustang8998
03-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Lots of folks like the Sea Foam but I have never used that.

Sea Foam for a degreaser?

Never heard of it used for that!

Stangman
03-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Gunk Gel or Gunk Foamy

I rely on my product reviews from Roadkill lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JXDcJQqZrA