Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Best place to buy Engine? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy Engine?

chadomac
04-16-2014, 01:03 AM
I have a 05 expedition with a 5.4 3v local shop did chains guides tensioners and phasers sounded great or 3 weeks came out one morning and heard chain slap on start up. Shop dont want to tear it back down even know it has 90 day warranty on work. Slap has got worse on start up. Visted shop multiple times with same results . then yesterday pulled up to a light trucked started knocking and wanted to die, slipped it up in neutral and motor was just as quite as could be put it in drive and of i went. tonight went to walgreens to pick up my meds came out and truck will not start anymore, cranks a little but will not start. so i guess i am on the hook or a new engine anyone dealt with someone they can recommend?

dsmawd350
04-16-2014, 07:55 AM
I think finish line in Milford is good with the modular stuff .

redfirepearlgt
04-16-2014, 08:26 AM
Chad that may be cam phasers causing the sound. Cam phaser bolts area one time use. Did they reuse? Cam phaser bolts (IAW 4.6L 3V install) are set to 27ftlb, witness marked and then tightened another 90 degrees CW from witness mark. Not completing the last step has bitten many. Ask them their procedure. If they omit the last part they clearly did not finish reading he install procedure. I am confident that the spec and install for cam phasers on both engines would be the same or very close.

Cam phaser noise can appear on start up or after revving the engine a few times. It sounds like you lost a rod.

LAST - the proportional valves on the engine have little screen in them that prevent debris from getting into the cam phaser. If debris got into the engine during the repair that s on them as well. Also never run anything thicker than the oil specified by Ford. Thicker viscosity can cause issues with Variable Cam Timing (VCT) being it uses oil pressure to vary the mechanical timing of the cam in relation to its position in the cam phaser gear. 5W20 or 5W30 like they spec. Never put 10W or 20W visocity oils in a VCT engine unless it calls for it.

redfirepearlgt
04-16-2014, 08:27 AM
Chad that may be cam phasers causing the sound. Cam phaser bolts area one time use. Did they reuse? Cam phaser bolts (IAW 4.6L 3V install) are set to 27ftlb, witness marked and then tightened another 90 degrees CW from witness mark. Not completing the last step has bitten many. Ask them their procedure. If they omit the last part they clearly did not finish reading he install procedure. I am confident that the spec and install for cam phasers on both engines would be the same or very close.

Cam phaser noise can appear on start up or after revving the engine a few times in my experience. Others have heard it right at start up. Sometimes the noise will diminish when throttling up and come back when throttling down. It sounds like you lost a rod in my experience and severe loss of power.

LAST - the proportional valves on the engine have little screen in them that prevent debris from getting into the cam phaser. If debris got into the engine during the repair that s on them as well. Also never run anything thicker than the oil specified by Ford. Thicker viscosity can cause issues with Variable Cam Timing (VCT) being it uses oil pressure to vary the mechanical timing of the cam in relation to its position in the cam phaser gear. 5W20 or 5W30 like they spec. Never put 10W or 20W visocity oils in a VCT engine unless it calls for it.

chadomac
04-16-2014, 09:48 AM
It is/was chain slap lasted for about 1 to 1 1/2 seconds on start up and then it was quiet. if you held the pedal to the floor and cranked it for a few seconds in the morning not letting it start and then take your foot off the pedal then start it no noise at all. guessing that let it build oil pressure and put tension back on chains Funny thing is after it started knocking while in gear at a stop you could put it in neutral or park and it made no noise at all . i would hope the shop knew to use new bolts and not the old ones again...but at this point i am not sure about them anymore.

redfirepearlgt
04-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Sorry to hear it Chad. A buddy of mine just had to replace his 5.4L 3V and they used a rebuild from Jasper Engine if I recall correctly. He had just purchased the vehicle when it blew up 3 months later just south of DT Columbus. The first vehicle he had ever bought a warranty on. And he was still 2700 out of pocket on things the warranty would not cover.

chadomac
04-16-2014, 10:22 AM
didnt have this problem before he replaced the chains guides tensioners and phasers so kind of stuck

redfirepearlgt
04-16-2014, 11:29 AM
didnt have this problem before he replaced the chains guides tensioners and phasers so kind of stuck

I'd go back and insist Chad. You are a pretty good sized guy. I doubt anyone will give you much guff if you walk in with the work still under warrnty and assert yourself professionally without losing self control insisting they make this right. Its your money and his work and his warranty. He needs to make it right. If he can't he needs to get someone in there or get it to someone who can make it right at his cost. He took responsibility when he set out to do the work. He has to see it through. If not there is always but regrettably small claims.

2Kblacksleeper
04-16-2014, 11:36 AM
What shop did the work?

Kevin1989
04-16-2014, 12:25 PM
Wait so you have a warranty and they don't wanna honor the warranty on the work???

redfirepearlgt
04-16-2014, 12:37 PM
I'd go back and insist Chad. You are a pretty good sized guy. I doubt anyone will give you much guff if you walk in with the work still under warrnty and assert yourself professionally without losing self control insisting they make this right. Its your money and his work and his warranty. He needs to make it right. If he can't he needs to get someone in there or get it to someone who can make it right at his cost. He took responsibility when he set out to do the work. He has to see it through. If not there is always but regrettably small claims.

Better yet release the pit bull so to speak. Set Naomi loose on them. LOL!

chadomac
04-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Chad i know the work he did was involved in what has happened now. the chain was not slapping before he worked on it. It started after the work was done. he said i would just drive it like that these motors are noisy anyway. my question to him after that comment was "with the chain slapping the cover it has to be causing metal shavings in the enigine and they have to be going somewhere like say my oil pump right" his answer was "i dont know what to do with it". So i Don't really want to say the name of the place as they were a part of this board for a while and don't know if they still are. Besides that i would like to give him the chance to make it right before i say anything more about who it is, the truck is there now and waiting to see what the word is if he doesn' t want to fix it then we will talk about who did it

chadomac
04-16-2014, 01:19 PM
Wait so you have a warranty and they don't wanna honor the warranty on the work???

Yes kevin thats right he gave me a 90 day warranty. he tore it apart to fix it the first time put it back together and had a faulty tensioner he received. it didnt even make it out of the garage. he tore it back down and replaced it again. 3 weeks later same noise again. this time i paid more money to get oem tensioner's . He put it back together same thing same noise. then he didnt want to tear it back down again. was told bye ford the lock out pin on the passenger side phaser was broke off causing the phaser on that side not to lock on start up causing the leak down of pressure when it sat for a little bit, making the chain slap on start up. so where do you go with that.

chadomac
04-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Anyone familiar with these guys? http://http://engineguy.com/

thecollector
04-16-2014, 07:09 PM
Never dealt with them before. With any builder the questions to ask are warranty mileage and time. How long are labor claims paid of that wwarranty, at what rate are warranty claims reimbursed (how many $/hr) and what is the method of dispersement (check, credit card, or product voucher).Are labor claims paid to shops and private parties at the same rate? I have been less than thrilled with the last few jasper engines I have recieved. I have done 4 or 5 from besslers (aer) and really like the quality. Did have a labor claim for a rear main on a 2.7 Chrysler, they took care of payment the day of completion.

chadomac
04-21-2014, 02:25 PM
was told it needs a new motor today that it had a oiling issue they never called me had to go up there and ask what was going on
. of course this was determined with out the truck being moved from the spot where it was dropped bye the tow truck or the motor even being opened up. asked if the chain slapping the cover and the metal shavings getting sucked up in the pump had anything to do with it and the answer was "dont know with out tearing it down" and they dont want to do that. told me he would help with labor but i had to buy the motor
this is crazy never dealt with something like this before. so guess we move forward from here

redfirepearlgt
04-21-2014, 03:30 PM
Bets of luck to you Chad either way. What about short blocking it? Maybe that would be cheaper.

Stangman
04-21-2014, 04:01 PM
www.car-part.com

chadomac
04-21-2014, 04:21 PM
vandemark has a longblock reman for $2900 still shopping

chadomac
04-21-2014, 04:28 PM
anyone heard anything about these guys?

http://www.automotiveps.com/proven.html

bbfstanger
04-21-2014, 07:00 PM
the oil pump was prob out of it originally, was it replaced when they had the front of the engine tore down?
low oil pressure at idle is a common thing and effects the phasers and tensioners.
after it started knocking like a rod its prob too late.

Brandon Alsept
04-23-2014, 05:31 PM
PM Sent

NaomiDstangLvr
04-27-2014, 12:22 AM
Better yet release the pit bull so to speak. Set Naomi loose on them. LOL!

Hahaha! Chad, you know it! They really did him over with this truck. And come to find out, they have three bad reviews on BBB about this type of shit. If we would've known this he wouldn't have taken it to them. We still don't have our truck. My poor father has been having to run us around...