PDA

View Full Version : First fuel cell experience, where's the smell coming from?

Rick93coupe
05-05-2014, 09:59 PM
I put 10 gallons in the other day and you'd think it was pouring out on the ground the smell is so strong. Fuel cell is vented and running through a bulkhead through the floor. I've seen guys use filters, any idea if that will help with the smell? I think it's stronger now because the garage windows are closed all the time till it warms up.

Rick93coupe
05-05-2014, 10:19 PM
I've checked each line and can't find a drip of fuel anywhere.

Kwik92GT
05-05-2014, 11:21 PM
Its the vent line if I had to guess, might need to see if you can find some type of charcoal canister from a salvage yard or something for it. Something like this (HERE) ("http://www.jerrybickel.com/fuel-systems/fuel-cell--8an-vent-kit.html) will help with keeping debris out but doubt it will do much in the way of preventing fumes.

Rick93coupe
05-06-2014, 12:48 AM
Its the vent line if I had to guess, might need to see if you can find some type of charcoal canister from a salvage yard or something for it. Something like this (HERE) ("http://www.jerrybickel.com/fuel-systems/fuel-cell--8an-vent-kit.html) will help with keeping debris out but doubt it will do much in the way of preventing fumes.

That link doesn't work but I'll look into it, thanks bud.

mustang8998
05-06-2014, 04:39 AM
What fuel lines are you using, Rick?

Jeff88coupe
05-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Ya..what type of hose are you using?

Rick93coupe
05-06-2014, 08:28 AM
Earls Pro Lite.

89notch
05-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Rick they've had fuel smell problems with that fuel line. The fuel vapor leaks past the rubber since its not teflon lined. I know it just started but it might be a combination of the fuel line and vapor from the cell. Jason switched all the fuel lines out of his coupe for this same problem.

Rick93coupe
05-06-2014, 11:14 AM
That'll piss me off. There's more than a few ft of it, lol.

Ackbar00
05-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Could just put your vent on a solenoid. When car on, open, when off, closed.

NXcoupe
05-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Yeah, or my friend Steve put a ball valve like for a home gas line on his, he shuts it off when he parks it, then turns it on before he starts it. Keeps vapor from getting out and moisture from getting in. I'm going to do that same thing to my black coupe, getting tired of all the fuel evaporating out of it.

Rick93coupe
05-06-2014, 12:04 PM
Could just put your vent on a solenoid. When car on, open, when off, closed.

I like that idea, I wonder if they make a solenoid that will flow the same as a –6 or -8?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, or my friend Steve put a ball valve like for a home gas line on his, he shuts it off when he parks it, then turns it on before he starts it. Keeps vapor from getting out and moisture from getting in. I'm going to do that same thing to my black coupe, getting tired of all the fuel evaporating out of it.

I read about a ball valve last night, that is if that's where the smell is coming from. I also noticed last night that the seal around the cell lid is cracked in a few places I guess that could let some vapors out also.

- - - Updated - - -

The simplest thing that I've read so far was to add some Grape or cherry scent to it and let it go, LOL.

Kwik92GT
05-06-2014, 03:27 PM
There's more than a few ft of it, lol.

That ain't no shit! lol We get to do this all over again? Sweet!! :bangwall:

I have a bunch I'm gonna need to get rid of I guess, or put some grape or cherry in it. FML

MFIELD
05-06-2014, 03:46 PM
The issue with plugging or closing it when not in use is it will swell the fuel cell as it expands. I tried this with mine a few years back, i put a plug in the vent line over the winter. In the spring I had to pry the lid open and the sides were all pushed out. The charcoal canister would be the best bet.

Rick93coupe
05-06-2014, 10:18 PM
The issue with plugging or closing it when not in use is it will swell the fuel cell as it expands. I tried this with mine a few years back, i put a plug in the vent line over the winter. In the spring I had to pry the lid open and the sides were all pushed out. The charcoal canister would be the best bet.

Thanks Mike, I guess I'll skip the ball valve then.

NXcoupe
05-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Why did your fuel swell in the cold? It actually would contract unless you had a lot of water in the fuel. Wait, I'm assuming winter time. Was this in the summer heat then? If so, that would make sense if it was in an area where it couldn't let the pressure off from the expanding fuel. If you just left the ball valve cracked a bit, it would allow pressure to escape, but not allow as much vapor to come out as if it was an open -6 line. I'm going to do this to mine, Steve has not experienced that issue with his, so I'm going to give it a try. I'm going to make sure it's full before a long storage as well.

Carl
05-07-2014, 12:00 PM
You could fashion a spring loaded check valve. Use springs on each side of a ball in a housing. This way it could vent if hot and pressurized or let air in if cold and contracted.

Black Horse
05-07-2014, 02:48 PM
The easy and inexpensive way to help with the vent issue is to coil the vent hose several times (like a still). This helps keep the moisture at bay yet freely keeps the pressures neutral.

MFIELD
05-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Why did your fuel swell in the cold? It actually would contract unless you had a lot of water in the fuel. Wait, I'm assuming winter time. Was this in the summer heat then? If so, that would make sense if it was in an area where it couldn't let the pressure off from the expanding fuel. If you just left the ball valve cracked a bit, it would allow pressure to escape, but not allow as much vapor to come out as if it was an open -6 line. I'm going to do this to mine, Steve has not experienced that issue with his, so I'm going to give it a try. I'm going to make sure it's full before a long storage as well.

Actually it was both Mike, its started for winter storage but got warm before I opened it up again.

NXcoupe
05-07-2014, 10:20 PM
Actually it was both Mike, its started for winter storage but got warm before I opened it up again.

Wow, must have had a lot of water in it and froze then? I'm going to be a guinea pig and give this a whirl, as mine is petrol and not E85 yet. I'll see how it works, and if it fubars up, then I will join ranks with ya. lol.

MFIELD
05-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Wow, must have had a lot of water in it and froze then? I'm going to be a guinea pig and give this a whirl, as mine is petrol and not E85 yet. I'll see how it works, and if it fubars up, then I will join ranks with ya. lol.

No it didnt freeze, I think it was more from the heating back up. If it sits for a while and gets cold the gas will get cold and then as it gets warmer the gas will also and put off more fumes.