PDA

View Full Version : Daily driving a mustang

Kevin1989
05-16-2014, 09:08 PM
How many of you guys daily drive a mustang??? My motor will be done here soon and I'm looking to get out of the beat up ranger, and move into something nicer. I love mustangs and my family is kinda an all ford family, so it just feels right. I test drove a 3v that was real nice liked it a lot! But my question is how many of you guys drive yours rain shine sleet, and snow? Any draw backs BESIDES this winter lol. It was a freak winter. Thanks!

04mysticcobra
05-16-2014, 10:01 PM
Bought my 04 Mystic new, put a 600 miles on this car in the first week(road trip to N.C.). Daily drove the car for 8 years rain or shine and in the snow ( not fun) . Finally put the car away in 2012 after 102,000 miles and a whole lot of fun . Cars are made to be driven . And maybe after a new clutch and some other upgrades it will be back on the road this year.

mustangjon
05-16-2014, 11:00 PM
I daily drove my mark Vii then hci and still daily... Then supercharged and still dd'd for a bit. Works fine just need to put a good set of winter tires on and it'll be fine :)

CincySR
05-16-2014, 11:22 PM
I've daily driven mine since I bought 7 years ago. I love the looks I get when I drive past people sideways in the snow.

WCKDGT
05-17-2014, 12:27 AM
I dd my sgt, almost 40k in 2 years. No problems here and and 21 mpgs! snow sucks but as long as you use common sense its not bad. My wifes dd is my 97 gt, this was her first winter w a rear wheel drive car amd she did fine.

Kevin1989
05-17-2014, 07:15 AM
Yea, I was just curious how many people did it, I drove my 2wd ranger in the snow it doesn't sound bad, but the POS can barely make it up a hill In the rain, I just want something fun that I can be proud of, and that still makes enough power to put a smile on my face when if get on the highway.

redfirepearlgt
05-17-2014, 07:25 AM
How many of you guys daily drive a mustang??? My motor will be done here soon and I'm looking to get out of the beat up ranger, and move into something nicer. I love mustangs and my family is kinda an all ford family, so it just feels right. I test drove a 3v that was real nice liked it a lot! But my question is how many of you guys drive yours rain shine sleet, and snow? Any draw backs BESIDES this winter lol. It was a freak winter. Thanks!

Kevin I drove redfire year round for about two years before going back on the road (field service people get co. cars). It did surprisingly well in the snow with a pair of Bridgestone Blizzaks on the back and a couple or bags of tube sand in the trunk. All seasons in just a skift of snow is a nightmare however in comparison. I was averaging 16K per year for the two years I daily drive it. The traction assist works well. Is it a FWD? NO! But it will go in the snow much better than you would imagine. I drove RR HIGHWAY in 5inches of snow untouched and ran 35mph comfortably to work that day. Daily drive to work was 26 miles each way.

Compared to driving my 93 ranger in the snow it did as well if not slightly better.

The S197 is a nice setup. There is a lot out there for it. PM me if you need more info and I can call you.

Chad

MWoods26
05-17-2014, 07:57 AM
I had two different fox GTs I DD in my late teens to mid 20s. It was rare that they had good tires on them so winters were miserable. They were all I had so I when it snowed I was screwed. I got stranded more than once. Next time you see me ask me to tell you the story about when I got stranded and took a shit in the Swiften Commons parking lot broad day light in a snow storm. It's a classic!

rtvickers
05-17-2014, 10:05 AM
I DD my 572rwhp 04 Cobra. Rain, sleet, snow or shine. It's definitely interesting. A good set of tires and weight will make a big difference. Just take it easy and be smart and you'll be fine.

leroy93lx
05-17-2014, 01:58 PM
I have had mustangs as daily drivers before. I did come to realize it didn't make much sense having one as a hobby car and one as a daily driver. You will be trying to modify both and end up with 2 hobby cars. So being practical came in. If you have the funds for 2 vehicles I would highly recommend a 4x4 truck capable of dragging your hobby car around and getting you where you need to be in our shitty winters. Sadly though the same can happen with a truck, especially a diesel! Having multiple cars you want to play with gets expensive quickly also.

Kevin1989
05-17-2014, 05:45 PM
I have had mustangs as daily drivers before. I did come to realize it didn't make much sense having one as a hobby car and one as a daily driver. You will be trying to modify both and end up with 2 hobby cars. So being practical came in. If you have the funds for 2 vehicles I would highly recommend a 4x4 truck capable of dragging your hobby car around and getting you where you need to be in our shitty winters. Sadly though the same can happen with a truck, especially a diesel! Having multiple cars you want to play with gets expensive quickly also. I've looked at trucks and I haven't ruled one out, but they are so fucking expensive now, and they quickly become annoying when everyone wants you to haul some shit for them or trash rts put in the bed. I'm not decided on what I want, I do know I'm not paying 20 grand for a truck with 100k miles on it though lol

WCKDGT
05-17-2014, 07:08 PM
I looked at getting truck before I bought my SGT, but I know unless it snowed or I needed it that day I would never drive it, because I love driving my mustang. get a stang you wont regret it

97dustang
05-17-2014, 10:52 PM
I used my 03 cobra as a dd for a couple years, it worked out fine, got stuck in the driveway once due to snow and had to borrow my dads truck but usually just be smart and dont get throttle happy and you can make it through snow fine. Sold it to buy a jeep when I joined the Coast Guard, thought i may be heading to Alaska, and instead got stationed in florida... wish i would've kept it now lol

Kevin1989
05-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Yea that would piss me off lol, the only thing I would really use a truck for is trailering my car, but this motor should be completely street friendly

duststang
05-19-2014, 08:26 AM
I daily drive 60 miles round trip in my 06 gt year round with no issues. Its boring drive other cars.

Stangman
05-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Used to drive my '94 every day, from '05 to '09, and in the winters if I needed to, I drove my Mustang II with super narrow tires and no power (also not very much heat!) or my mom's old grand cherokee. I really dont recommend a mustang for the winters we have here, and no necessarily because of the weather, but more because of the other idiots!

I tried to drive my '89GT in winter once. Once. 4.10 gears, 20mph in 5th gear, still trying to go sideways til I got smacked by a truck. Not fun.

I bought my 4x4 Ranger and havent had an issue w/ winter since. Plus it has the 4.0, so its not a turd. There's tons on CL man.

4n_eatr
05-19-2014, 06:42 PM
mine gets driven everyday... except the winter. It's just too low. Acts like a snow plow.

Kevin1989
05-19-2014, 09:13 PM
I'm not buying another ranger haha, if I buy a truck it's a full size or nothing, I'm still up in the air, I really wanna finish my car but it needs several thousand dollars worth of shit to make it run the times the motor will take it to. But at the same time I'm tired of the beat up truck

Stangman
05-20-2014, 08:20 AM
There's older F150's and F250's all over CL right now too. I was sifting thru them when a friend of mine was looking. Some good deals out there if you wanted to put a little work in to one.

I'm still a fan of the Ranger... mine's got 212,000 on it. Still looks pretty new! Runs great, shifts great. And hauls cars with a tow dolly with no problem.

You'll hate winter driving your car, its too clean to put it thru that. You will hate yourself afterwards. Salt is the enemy.

Last time I drove my car in snow, was with my 315 Nitto 555R's on the back, and I was literally sideways but moving forward for 15 miles.

redfirepearlgt
05-20-2014, 11:38 AM
There's older F150's and F250's all over CL right now too. I was sifting thru them when a friend of mine was looking. Some good deals out there if you wanted to put a little work in to one.

I'm still a fan of the Ranger... mine's got 212,000 on it. Still looks pretty new! Runs great, shifts great. And hauls cars with a tow dolly with no problem.

You'll hate winter driving your car, its too clean to put it thru that. You will hate yourself afterwards. Salt is the enemy.

Last time I drove my car in snow, was with my 315 Nitto 555R's on the back, and I was literally sideways but moving forward for 15 miles.

Thats why you invest in Blizzaks boss. LOL! Even the factory Perelli 235/50/17's are terrible in even a skift of snow on teh S197 05-09 cars.

sean
05-20-2014, 03:53 PM
i have something for the heavy stuff but as long as the roads were clear I drove whatever I fun car I had at the time. Pretty sure I was the only C6 out there for miles this winter. I dont care about rain or shine. I bought the toy to have fun with and I am going to drive it.

Kevin1989
05-20-2014, 09:09 PM
No Jesse I'm buying another car lol, my car isn't going out in the winter!! I'm gonna buy either a 05-09 mustang or a truck to drive everyday and ditch the ranger