Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs/forums/archive/global.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Anybody F-body smarter than I am? [Archive] - StangBangerz Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody F-body smarter than I am?

vertigo
07-18-2014, 10:50 AM
I know I'm gonna catch some hell for posting this here, but I'm looking to buy a 4th gen Z28. Anybody know anything about them? Specifically, if they had drum or disc rear brakes? It's an LT1 car, if that matters. Fire away! And yes, I have googled it until my eyes bled with no concrete answer.

leroy93lx
07-18-2014, 05:18 PM
My 95 LT1 Trans Am had 4 wheel disc brakes and so does my 98 WS6 Formula. I am pretty sure 4th gen V8 cars had rear disc. 6 cylinder cars had drums under them though. LT1s are pretty fun. Optispark is known for sucking ass especially if you have a water pump failure. I never had any problems with mine except a blown head gasket. It ran 13.7s with a K&N air intake, underdrive crank pulley and a Borla Catback. Since the market has went down on them a little I would probably look for a 98+ Camaro. LS1 FTW.

vertigo
07-18-2014, 07:08 PM
Isn't there a conversion for the LT1 cars to run LS coil packs?

2-Tone
07-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Lt1 was a decent little motor other than the opti. What year are you looking at ? Depending on the year it can be difficult to tune them if you plan on any major mods. My 95 z28 ran 13.3 on motor with cold air, headers and full exhaust. Ran 12.4 on a 90 shot.

redfirepearlgt
07-18-2014, 08:03 PM
My 93 Z28 had four wheel disc brakes. LT1 was a 275 FWHP engine. Distributor assembly was one of the weaknesses from what I remember. Never had any issues with mine. Pain in the ass to work on. Engine sits back up under the dash. One of the "cab forward concepts I think they called it. Took over two hours and a list of ratchets and extensions to pull the plugs and re-gap them. Oh and don't forget the jack stands and the floor jack to get to the driver side back two. Tunes upgrades via swapping EEPROM in the ECU assembly. Exhaust was Y-pipe into one. Muffler was 1 inlet two outlet. Dynomax exhaust I had sounded pretty good. Smog pump location allowed it to gather dirt and so forth in it. It is electric and would blow the fuse when it begin to crap out from road crud getting into it. FLAGS a CEL that would clear after replacement. Usually only happened when colder outside. (that's when mine when bad). EGR valve will cause issues if it goes bad. Had that happen as well. Not a car to travel in for sure. You will get butt sore after about two hours and need to stretch your legs. Even in your early thirties which is when I had mine. Leather seats may be a bit more comfortable. You will have to deactivate the 2nd gear lockout. YEs if you get on it out of the hole the car will fire a solenoid that will lock out going into second forcing you into fourth gear to prevent you from driving it hard. The auto never had a worry with that. Never ran mine at the track but bolts ons woke it up nicely. Hope that helps.

sean
07-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Damn. Now im thinking about getting one. Lol

redfirepearlgt
07-18-2014, 08:37 PM
NEWS FLASH!!!!! Sean wants to trade!!! LOL!!!!

sean
07-18-2014, 09:07 PM
Not trading anything. Just looking for another toy.

vertigo
07-19-2014, 12:01 AM
Hahaha! That particular Z28 was a 1996, and I've all but talked myself out of it, as it's 100 miles from me, and the rear brakes are locked. Add to the fact it has 4.88 gears, I think I'll save my gas money. I've found a 95 Trans Am, much closer to home with no potentially known drama.

9cobra4
07-19-2014, 12:25 AM
My 97 SS had 4 wheel disc brakes, was also fun to drive. It was the 315hp version. Reminded me of a Fox to drive as far as big torque down low, weak-ish top end, just a lot more power than a stock pushrod 5.0 obviously. They have a good exhaust note, real deep and throaty. With the stock 3:42 gear I could be rolling about 10mph and dump the clutch in second gear and light em up for 50-60 feet with 315's on the back. Lol

evil8
07-19-2014, 08:34 AM
LS1 swap.

thecollector
07-19-2014, 08:15 PM
I'd just start with an ls powered car. Heads warp at the mere thought of an overheat and the way the car is packgaged its a pain to mod yourself. At least with an ls powered car you have an ls powered car:).

vertigo
07-24-2014, 07:14 AM
After having my time wasted by about 5 people (thank you, craigslist), I test drove a decent candidate. It's a 93 Z28 hardtop 6 speed. It's all 100% stock with 129k. After driving it, I mentally compared it to an SN95, and realized the Z28 did everything better. Then, I had an epiphany: Fuck this, I'm getting another Mustang!