PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

ol'red
07-25-2014, 02:14 PM
ANDDDDDD I'm back. Starting from scratch with the knowledge I've gained.

My question though, is it worth getting a 4cyl fox and swapping a 351w turbo in? This is a budget build and I'm justing wondering if im getting in over my head with swapping parts out to convert the 4 banger to the 351w. I know what I need to go from 302 to 351w but is there that much more from 4 bang to 351w. Or would I have to swap all those parts out anyway since im looking for 5-600rwhp.

I found a guy willing to trade me a quad for his stang and they are worth about the same. What would you do?

My plans are 351w turbo build, stock crank, I beam rods and trw pistons.

devous1
07-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Man, if it was me I'd wait and buy some one elses end product. It might not be exactly how you envision it but you can pic up really nice cars cheap. Hell there have been a couple on here that are super nice and good deals.

ol'red
07-25-2014, 02:52 PM
Well the thing is I don't have the cash to buy everything out right, I'd essentially be getting the car and the fresh from machine 351w block and crank and newly rebuilt heads for free.

2Kblacksleeper
07-26-2014, 03:07 AM
8.8 or 7.5 rear end? Most things will swap out. Although I'm in a similar position and I'm just going to wait till I find the right thing. Instead of spending a lot of time and money on something that is nice but not what I really wanted.

Rick93coupe
07-26-2014, 08:03 AM
It's doable, that's what I did. It's going to be more expensive than you think though, a lot more expensive. Turbo setups are great but I'd have a ton less money in a 408/spray combo and been finished years earlier. Either requires a better trans, better rearend and suspension, better cooling system, better fuel system.... The list goes on and on.

Kevin1989
07-26-2014, 08:54 AM
I got a set of trw pistons forsale, but.

Im halfway done with my 393 windsor, if your going to do it 408 its not much more at all. The only reason i have a 393 is because I got a great deal on all the stuff. 408 and nitrous and your havin some fun

redfirepearlgt
07-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Well the thing is I don't have the cash to buy everything out right, I'd essentially be getting the car and the fresh from machine 351w block and crank and newly rebuilt heads for free.

This is no budget build. It's a long term project with plenty of unforeseen cost even with a completed engine if that were the case. IMHO You'd be wise to listen to Rick.

Find a 302 car in decent physical shape and do an explorer 302 engine swap. Plenty of budget project threads on the internet about how to do this and the cars run out pretty well afterwards. Some folks have even put a small turbo or giggle gas setup on them down the road for even more fun.

ol'red
07-26-2014, 10:46 AM
I think I'm going to heed advice this time. Just going to wait for a decent v8. Thanks guys.

2Fast4You
07-26-2014, 11:10 AM
That is the best bet, save and find one already with good mods. You can change combos down the road as you are enjoying it now.

mustangjon
07-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Yeah just ask Shayne what happens with project builds....

2Fast4You
07-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Thanks Jon, it ends up being years into a project thinking it would be just months on a piece together budget build. Too many factors that change everything from one day to the next. Buy something that already has a good start in the same direction or similar to the direction you want to head and be patient while enjoying it.

ol'red
07-26-2014, 08:58 PM
Yea I agree. Can your really pass on a essentially free fox and 351w fresh ready to be built?

redfirepearlgt
07-26-2014, 11:17 PM
Yea I agree. Can your really pass on a essentially free fox and 351w fresh ready to be built?

You can when you don't have any budget to complete it.