PDA

View Full Version : Spring Cruise In/Shootout/Track Rental?

USMCPONY
11-24-2014, 07:20 PM
Would anyone be interested in stead of having a normal cruise in we have a track rental where we can actual race each other, show off ours cars and just bull shit and have a good time? Isn't that what this site is about? I figured if everyone who attends pays $20 or so that would take care of the rental fees. Just trying to get some ideas. It's been pretty quiet in here. The floor is open for ideas....Maybe have the Louisville guys come up and a Stangbangerz Vs Everyone? Again, floors open fellas...

k062693w
11-24-2014, 07:55 PM
You organize it and I'm in !!!
Good Luck though, I tried on another site and it's been tried on others without much luck ...
Getting the $$$ together, trying to please everyone with dates, And the Heaven help you if it rains !!!
Sounds Fun !!!

Gearhead
11-24-2014, 08:57 PM
The insurance cost for track rentals is ridiculous from what I've heard......

cstreu1026
11-24-2014, 10:11 PM
I would guess we would be looking at a minimum of $5000 for a track rental and a halfway decent car count. as the count goes up so does the cost. I think the last time I looked in to it Vinny was still with us and Kilkare wanted $4500 for 100 cars. The biggest obstacle is getting the money in place ahead of time to secure the rental.

redfirepearlgt
11-24-2014, 10:36 PM
Sean who was on here at one time held a private track day as a fund raiser for a couple of events. He owned the silver Grand Prix GTP that ran really nice. On his last attempt to set up the event again at E20, the cost went up so much that he was forced to give up on hosting the event. Cameron is likely pretty close on a one day track rental. Sean told me the cost when we were trying to do something with it back in 2012 but I can't remember now. The cost was way up there and has only gotten higher since I would assume. I would not discourage you from looking into it, but know that you will be limited to the number of drivers and that the cost will be way more than $20 per driver.

Would be fun but a ton of work for the person or rather the team setting it up. And believe me it would take a team to do something like this.

USMCPONY
11-24-2014, 10:54 PM
Doesn't Kil-Kare have test and tune on Saturdays? Maybe rope off 100 square foot section to be the Cruise in area and then run the cars up against each other and bs the rest of the night. Maybe have one of the shops bring a mobile dyno. I bet a ton of ppl would be interested in that.

leroy93lx
11-24-2014, 10:54 PM
I was part of a track rental at Muncie Dragway a couple years ago and it was $2000. Kicker was it was from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Wednesday( which is their test & tune day at 5 p.m. ). We each paid $20 and a couple shops / individuals paid the balance. I think we had 20 - 30 or so cars. It was an awesome time.

2Fast4You
11-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Sounds like an interesting plan, I would be in for it if it is feasible.

draggin50
11-25-2014, 12:47 AM
Jeff Wightman from Precision was doing them in the past at Kilkare and it was $100 per car on a Sunday. I'm not sure of how many cars was needed or if there was a limit. Maybe Charlie (Evil8) would know more of the details.

cstreu1026
11-25-2014, 09:39 AM
I don't think we would get a whole lot of interest at $100 a car when you can run a test and tune event at one of the local tracks for $15-20.

draggin50
11-25-2014, 10:17 AM
The track prep at $100 per car was unreal though and that was for the XOS guys. That's where I think car count would come into play.

KYGTP
12-14-2014, 10:59 PM
Sean who was on here at one time held a private track day as a fund raiser for a couple of events. He owned the silver Grand Prix GTP that ran really nice. On his last attempt to set up the event again at E20, the cost went up so much that he was forced to give up on hosting the event. Cameron is likely pretty close on a one day track rental. Sean told me the cost when we were trying to do something with it back in 2012 but I can't remember now. The cost was way up there and has only gotten higher since I would assume. I would not discourage you from looking into it, but know that you will be limited to the number of drivers and that the cost will be way more than $20 per driver.

Would be fun but a ton of work for the person or rather the team setting it up. And believe me it would take a team to do something like this.

For all that don't know me, I am Sean, that he is talking about, and I used to do the "Preston Cup". What ended up happening, is it all started as a fund raiser/track rental, well, my event apparently got "too big" and my "private track" day price went up to the open rental price. I never had any problems and we all had a great time. My wife and I had talked about doing it again, and saying the heck with it and eating some of the cost just to have everyone to enjoy the track in a private setting with great friends and family.

Anyways, the price went as high as $5K, and that was a starting price, and wanted to nickle and dime me to death, and that is when I stop doing it. For the guys that were able to come out years ago, thanks and sorry at the same time. I charged $40 for the day, and I never made a dime off of it, I did it for the love of racing, and getting a great group of guys together to have fun.

Maybe I could revisit it again some time and see if anything changed. A group of friends and I have bought a 93 Fox GT, that we are building for chump car racing, so at least I own a mustang now. :) That is for another thread and a another day.

draggin50
12-15-2014, 12:40 AM
Glad to see ya back!! It seems like forever! Still got the old Grand Prix?

USMCPONY
12-15-2014, 12:54 AM
Kilkare has test and tune on Saturdays correct? Couldn't we get permission to rope off 100 sq ft section for the cruise in area and run as we please. What better place to talk about cats than at the track?

cstreu1026
12-15-2014, 08:10 AM
Kilkare's test and tune is on Thursdays.

NXcoupe
12-15-2014, 10:19 AM
Tri State has Saturday Test and Tunes. Still not a bad idea, kind of middleground for the northern and southern guys, just up the street from groesbeck/colerain area. We did this on another board and had a blast there. We just set up a tent and had everyone park around it. Vinny did the same thing a few times. Seemed to work well. Have to see what their schedule looks like when they release it and plan accordingly. I'm thinking we may meet somewhere else and then cruise/meet at the track later on or something. Not sure as it's up to y'all what we do, but we need to start cementing plans soon, it's not too long till warm weather will be upon us.

draggin50
12-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Yeah we need to get something set up quick. It will be spring before we know it. Id be up for any of the local 3 tracks. And I think Kilkare does have Saturday test and tunes as soon as they open for a couple of weeks. Would have to look at their schedule and see but I know they have in the past.

redfirepearlgt
12-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Tri State has Saturday Test and Tunes. Still not a bad idea, kind of middleground for the northern and southern guys, just up the street from groesbeck/colerain area. We did this on another board and had a blast there. We just set up a tent and had everyone park around it. Vinny did the same thing a few times. Seemed to work well. Have to see what their schedule looks like when they release it and plan accordingly. I'm thinking we may meet somewhere else and then cruise/meet at the track later on or something. Not sure as it's up to y'all what we do, but we need to start cementing plans soon, it's not too long till warm weather will be upon us.

I'd be all for this. We did this with Maximus heading it up some years back. Had an absolute blast that day. About 15-20 of us showed up and made passes. If you got paired up with someone you ran them. If not you ran your best. We all hung out in the same area and the day ended way too soon for me. 28 hours of daylight would not have been enough time to satisfy the fun time we were having. It was great. Put me down for this as a yes.

Also keep in mind that FRICKERS wants to have us all back again in the spring as well. Mike and I have discussed this and we are waiting to see what the racing schedules are going to lay out like so we can have it on a day that does not conflict with NMRA, UMTR, or XOS. Fricker's is even going to look into getting a permit so that they can serve in the parking lot.

Plenty to happen in 2015 if the powers don't mind me saying. Let's keep the ball rolling after a great turnout last fall and hopes to see old faces again and rekindle some friendships that may have gone by the way side over the years.

HOPE EVEYONE HAS A BLESSED CHRISTMAS AND A GREAT NEW YEAR!

BTW - Thanks KYGTP (SEAN) for chiming in. Couldn't remember your log in name. And super gladyou finally got a Mustang! LOL!

cstreu1026
12-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Did tristate open early one time for something Craig helped organize? I remember running at noon and regular test and tune beginning at 3:00

TooFast98Cobra
12-15-2014, 02:25 PM
I'm in if its at kil kare. Need to shake down the new radial car.

redfirepearlgt
12-15-2014, 02:37 PM
Did tristate open early one time for something Craig helped organize? I remember running at noon and regular test and tune beginning at 3:00

No. We went late fall on a Saturday afternoon and had a blast. Seemed like it was early October. It was just an open T/T day at the track. We all simply went and made passes and had a good time. No final elims or anything. The following year he started the Shoot Out and had that for several years. That was also T/T day, but he worked out something with the track so he could run the 16 low field through.

beefcake
12-18-2014, 09:51 PM
probably have to see how things go with the new guys running e20 as well???

USMCPONY
02-10-2015, 09:48 PM
I'm still in

DeckerEnt
02-10-2015, 10:24 PM
Way back when I drove a dodge dakota, Cracker had a track day and just for the hell of it, I paid my 20 bucks and ran. Had a blast and because it ran mid 18s...LOL...I wound up 3rd place. I just wanted to watch and drink beer but kept winning. Best day ever!!!

Gearhead
02-10-2015, 10:29 PM
Way back when I drove a dodge dakota, Cracker had a track day and just for the hell of it, I paid my 20 bucks and ran. Had a blast and because it ran mid 18s...LOL...I wound up 3rd place. I just wanted to watch and drink beer but kept winning. Best day ever!!!

I remember that day.....seemed like everybody had a great time, good times for sure !!!

Maximus
02-11-2015, 01:08 PM

That was the summer of 07. Vinny and I always talked about a SBZ Track day, but shit would always come up and it would get put off. It was a Great day, just sucks that it had to happen after he passed...:(

Anywho, I rented the track in the am and then Tri-State had their regular T&T at 3. USMCPONY, Pat at Tri-State is who you need to talk to about track rentals, (513) 863-0562

draggin50
02-11-2015, 01:43 PM
You going to try to get another Street Car Shoot Out going this year Craig? That was a blast I thought!

Maximus
02-11-2015, 02:31 PM
You going to try to get another Street Car Shoot Out going this year Craig? That was a blast I thought!

Not sure yet.

draggin50
02-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Im sure you could get another good turn out. And I wouldn't mind helping out money wise for the stickers and plaques.

NXcoupe
02-11-2015, 06:03 PM
We could do it more in the June timeframe, would that be something people are interested in?

draggin50
02-11-2015, 06:09 PM
We could do it more in the June timeframe, would that be something people are interested in?

You talking a cruise to Kilkare or Tristate? Im not sure how the Edgewater deal would pan out now after Dick pulled out on the lease deal.

NXcoupe
02-11-2015, 06:11 PM
I was talking a drag day at Tri State. Meet when they open, set up a tent for everyone to come hang out by, etc.

draggin50
02-11-2015, 06:17 PM
That sounds good! Im down! Now just to get a date that everyone can agree on. I think through May the test and tune hours are earlier. Starting in June they go to 5-9 I think.

redfirepearlgt
02-11-2015, 08:15 PM

yip. count me in

k062693w
02-11-2015, 08:52 PM
I had the most fun when the DSB/SBZ group used to meet at KK in the Spring and Fall on Saturdays !!!
That was a BLAST !!!

NXcoupe
02-11-2015, 11:59 PM
Yes it was Aaron. I want to get that going again.