PDA

View Full Version : 88 LX going mass air, what all is needed?

Evolved
12-02-2014, 04:40 PM
I have a harness from an 89 and an A9L ecu, and mass air meter, what else is needed and info on what all wires need swapped. I read somewhere I might need an o2 sensor harness, can anyone confirm this? I googled how to do this but I did not find much, just people looking for parts.

86gt40
12-02-2014, 05:43 PM
I found it was easier for me to take the donor harness and remove the wires for the mass air meter from the ecu connector. The connector comes in two, pull the pins out still connected to the wires. Went online, printed the instructions from a pig tail kit. Took the existing ecu connector in two and put the pins in their respective places.. it was just easier for me that way. I've done two that way, 3 with the pigtail kit. It was easier to me. Just my two cents.

Evolved
12-02-2014, 05:51 PM
That doesn't sound like a bad idea, I guess just the mass air wires would be all that is different.

86gt40
12-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Seems to me the directions have you move another pin to another location. But it was pretty simple. To me easier than changing harnesses. I even wired in the vehicle speed sensor like they advised, although I never hooked it up. The whole process only took 20 or 30 mins. It was alot easier than I thought it was going to be. You will be amazed how much different it runs when your done.

draggin50
12-02-2014, 10:38 PM
I bought the pigtail from late model restoration. I haven't put it in the 86 yet but the instructions are pretty clear.

86gt40
12-03-2014, 06:48 AM
That's the same kit I used on my 86. Very simple. Had the crimp on pins, wires were coded factory colors. Very easy

Evolved
12-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Brian I might have to get a copy of those instruction off of you some time.

draggin50
12-03-2014, 10:25 PM
I get a copy for ya and send it to ya on fb or text tomorrow when I get up.

Evolved
12-04-2014, 06:10 PM
OK sounds good, Thank You.

NXcoupe
12-05-2014, 10:01 AM
I have a harness from an 89 and an A9L ecu, and mass air meter, what else is needed and info on what all wires need swapped. I read somewhere I might need an o2 sensor harness, can anyone confirm this? I googled how to do this but I did not find much, just people looking for parts.

That harness is a direct swap for your 88. Much easier to just remove your harness and plug this one in. Don't get into pin swapping if you can help it. You will need to connect two wires into the harness to make it perfect tho. You will need to run two wires over to the cruise control module, on the driver's side kick panel under the dash.

Here are some links for you to read:
http://www.stangnet.com/2002/01/23/mustang-mass-air-conversion/

http://www.corral.net/tech/powerplant/maf_tech_2.html

Your O2 harness will plug right into the 89 harness and you're done with that. If you change to a different O2 harness, that's when you have to worry about what year and which trans it came off of.

Evolved
12-06-2014, 05:07 AM
Ok thanks Mike. Hopefully switching this all over here soon. Looking for an E-cam before I do this swap, going with an explorer U/L also.

mwaller5672
12-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Tell you what. I have an a9l that I left out in the sprinkle. I'm sure it didn't hurt it but not sure enough to sell it. You can have it if you want. I also have a bunch of harnesses that I will sell very reasonable. Even if you don't want one of them you can still have the computer.
Mike

Evolved
12-06-2014, 08:06 PM
I have the computer and harness already. Thank you though for the offer, I had read somewhere that you have to swap the O2 sensor harness also, I was just wanting to find out if this were true, but it sounds like I don't need to.