PDA

View Full Version : Doing some repairs.

rtvickers
03-21-2015, 03:12 PM
I've got a few repairs I'm going to try and get done on my turd. I probably won't get to them all today but I'll give it a shot. I'm at my storage bin in Batavia at uncle bobs if anyone wants to swing by. Just look for the white expedition.

rtvickers
03-21-2015, 06:37 PM
Finished for today. Crank seal and balancer are in. Changed the main drive pulleys and belt. Cage is on but just sitting there for now. I still have to change the intercooler pump, pull off the oil cooler and adapter, pull off the power steering pump and lines. I'm going to replace all of that power steering crap. Not sure if it's leaking so I'm just going to change it. Probably going to do the alt also. It has a charging issue. I want a good quality alt. The one I have is a new one from KY motors. I'm going to attempt to remove all of the fluid next weekend without making a mess. I have access to a radikit plus. We'll see how it goes.

chris91
03-21-2015, 07:03 PM
Let me know if you'll be working on it tomorrow, I'll come keep ya company if ya want.

rtvickers
03-21-2015, 07:22 PM
Company is always nice. As of now I don't plan on going over until next weekend. I can't due much until I empty out the coolant systems.

draggin50
03-21-2015, 07:27 PM
I was down around Milford/Goshen earlier and if I knew, I would've stopped by.

chris91
03-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Well just text me and I'll swing over next weekend.

rtvickers
03-21-2015, 07:46 PM
Ok sounds good.

rtvickers
03-28-2015, 01:26 PM
I'm heading up to work on my turd. I have to pick up a few thing first. A couple of buckets and half inch Allen head socket.

redfirepearlgt
03-28-2015, 03:36 PM
If I'm not out of town I may head over next Saturday. BTW my 02 developed a leak in the rack. They were known for blowing seals I was told when I replaced it. So don't rule that out. Don't know if they improved that for 04 or is it was the same rack setup. Took about a week or so and the PS box was dry and whining like a New Jersey Real Housewife whining to go to Florida in January.

rtvickers
03-28-2015, 09:33 PM
I feel like I got a lot accomplished today. My goal was to just get the coolant systems drained without making a mess. The radikitplus I had didn't work out like I had hoped. But I was successful with gravity and a 5 gallon pucket method. The engine coolant system went very well. The intercooler system went ok. It randomly tried to spit coolant in my face but I managed to win the battle. So I met my goal for today. I was feeling froggy today so I dug deeper. I got the intercooler pump replaced and managed to get all of the oil cooler parts off the car. Ill take them to work and clean them up and replace all the gaskets. I want to give a big Thank You to Chris for coming over and hanging out. The pictures of your car do it no justice. Badass ride. Love the new wheels. Can't wait until it's mine. Lol! And I pulled the alt. It's 110 amp and I've been told it too small. So ill get at least a 130 amp alt. Still not sure how much to spend on a good one yet. I've been turned on to a 180 amp for like $500. But dang, is it worth it. I think the PA performance one is like $300.

Chad, I never thought about the rack. But I don't think it's the steering system leaking. I haven't lost one drop of fluid and no issue in the steering. No whining or heavy steering. I'm pretty sure the oil cooler is the main culprit. And the crank seal was helping. Both are being replaced. The main thing holding me up is I'm waiting on a set of coolant tanks. After they show up things will move faster. Hopefully it's done before the cruise.

IWRBB
03-28-2015, 09:55 PM
You talking about the Mechman alternators? They have the one with the external adjustable regulator. Supposed to be the best- they have a billet case version for $600+ since you are feeling froggy and all! There's also the Start N' Charge ones too- he rebuilds with the best parts available. PA alts don't have a real good history on the 03 Cobras.

Edit: Looks like the billet case is the only one they have now- $499.

draggin50
03-28-2015, 10:03 PM
Good to hear Tommy! Hope you get it all back together soon!

rtvickers
03-28-2015, 10:04 PM
You talking about the Mechman alternators? They have the one with the external adjustable regulator. Supposed to be the best- they have a billet case version for $600+ since you are feeling froggy and all! There's also the Start N' Charge ones too- he rebuilds with the best parts available. PA alts don't have a real good history on the 03 Cobras.

Yeah I'm talking about the Billet Mechman. I seen the one with the external regulator. I don't really want to go that route. This frog has been gigged for today.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to hear Tommy! Hope you get it all back together soon!

Thanks. Yeah me too.

rtvickers
03-28-2015, 10:10 PM

Off topic..... I just noticed that our avatars are similar. Nice pic. Lol.

chris91
03-28-2015, 11:02 PM
Hey no problem man. I told you you could have mine. Just gotta hand over the keys to yours. Hahaha

IWRBB
03-29-2015, 08:49 AM
Yeah I'm talking about the Billet Mechman. I seen the one with the external regulator. I don't really want to go that route. This frog has been gigged for today.
I'm going to try one when the time comes- I'm still going on the OEM one for now. I really hate taking the alternator out of these cars.

Off topic..... I just noticed that our avatars are similar. Nice pic. Lol.
Cept mine sits up too high! Parts are in route to fix the 4x4 look.

rtvickers
03-29-2015, 09:09 AM
I'm going to try one when the time comes- I'm still going on the OEM one for now. I really hate taking the alternator out of these cars.

Cept mine sits up too high! Parts are in route to fix the 4x4 look.

It's not too bad. I thought it would a lot worse from looking where the alt sits. Definitely not something I want to do on a regular basis.

PKFIRE
03-29-2015, 09:37 AM
Good work Tommy! I just hope my Cobra starts this week because it's finally getting out of hibernating. I've been lucky with my charging system. I'm on the original battery and alternator. It doesn't sound like a fun job on a Cobra. I like where they put It on my old 03 Mustang Gt.

rtvickers
03-29-2015, 10:43 AM
Good work Tommy! I just hope my Cobra starts this week because it's finally getting out of hibernating. I've been lucky with my charging system. I'm on the original battery and alternator. It doesn't sound like a fun job on a Cobra. I like where they put It on my old 03 Mustang Gt.

I hope all goes well Joe. Yeah the gt alts are easy. The Cobras aren't too bad. Should take about 20-30 minutes.

2Fast4You
03-29-2015, 12:28 PM
Congrats Tommy, that's half the battle.

rtvickers
05-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Well I got some good news yesterday from Steve at true forged. My tanks are done and will ship Monday. Whoo Hooo!!! So I'm heading up to put it back together. So when the tanks get here I can slap them on, fill them up and take it for a ride.

PKFIRE
05-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Post some pictures when your done.

rtvickers
05-02-2015, 08:21 PM
After I get the tanks and get it all back together and everything is up and running ill post some. Not much to look at right now.

Made a little progress. Lower cage, alternator, pulley bridge and pulleys are on. I got the heat exchanger off but not the brackets. I have a few issues pop up with stripped bolts and threads so I have to address them. But I'm getting closer.

rtvickers
05-10-2015, 01:09 PM
Tanks came in Whoo Hoo! But I can't work on them for a few weeks.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/rtvickers/96A7CDF2-13D7-4FCF-9DF7-E61557888A37_zpsyj7rlhta.jpg (http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/rtvickers/media/96A7CDF2-13D7-4FCF-9DF7-E61557888A37_zpsyj7rlhta.jpg.html)

draggin50
05-10-2015, 06:25 PM
Those look awesome!! You have much left to do?

rtvickers
05-10-2015, 08:15 PM
Thanks Brian. I have a stripped Allen bolt that holds the pulley on to the Whipple and I had a piece of a thread come out of a bolt hole on the timing cover. It's for one of the pulley bridge bolts. I really don't want to helicoil it. The bridge is secure without it. I may just try to find a shorter bolt. But other than that I have to put the H.E in, front bumper, radiator hoses and tstat, power steering tank, fan, tanks, fill and burp both systems.

redfirepearlgt
05-10-2015, 09:11 PM
NICE!!!!

rtvickers
05-20-2015, 09:38 PM
Well I caught a break and got the night off. I got a lot done. So I kind of messed up my snub nose idler so I'm going to get a new one. But other than that I have to install and fill the tanks, battery and change the oil. Hopefully it won't be long now.

rtvickers
05-25-2015, 10:38 AM
Well as of now my pile of crap is up and running. Just a few minor issues I can deal with later.

2Fast4You
05-25-2015, 01:13 PM
Good to hear Tommy.

draggin50
05-25-2015, 02:00 PM
Cant wait to see it back out! You going to get it tuned somewhere or is it still good?

rtvickers
05-25-2015, 05:57 PM
Cant wait to see it back out! You going to get it tuned somewhere or is it still good?

I didn't change anything that affected the tune. But it's still the same old bad tune that makes good numbers but is slow. Eventually ill get it tune.

draggin50
05-25-2015, 08:26 PM
I didn't change anything that affected the tune. But it's still the same old bad tune that makes good numbers but is slow. Eventually ill get it tune.

Atleast that's one less thing to do right off! Im sure it isn't all that slow!!!

rtvickers
05-25-2015, 08:30 PM
Atleast that's one less thing to do right off! Im sure it isn't all that slow!!!

It's slow.

SN95N/A
05-25-2015, 09:13 PM
Slow:lol: someone's trying to be a comedian tonight

draggin50
05-25-2015, 09:40 PM
No shit!!!! He's funny!!

rtvickers
05-25-2015, 10:02 PM
In its current state (bad tune on a stock IRS) you guys should know it's slow. I can't put slicks on it with the stock IRS. Now with the right Rearend setup and some weight reduction it would be a different story. It makes decent power but low for the current setup. So it's fat and slow.

draggin50
05-26-2015, 12:21 AM
Im just glad to hear ya got it back running and your getting close to getting it out! You ever decide on wheels?

rtvickers
05-26-2015, 05:46 AM
Im just glad to hear ya got it back running and your getting close to getting it out! You ever decide on wheels?

Oh I've had it out and about. Something came up and I had to spend the cash for the wheels on something else. Mine are pretty beat up but ill have to live with them for now.

IWRBB
05-26-2015, 08:35 AM
In its current state (bad tune on a stock IRS) you guys should know it's slow. I can't put slicks on it with the stock IRS. Now with the right Rearend setup and some weight reduction it would be a different story. It makes decent power but low for the current setup. So it's fat and slow.

Slicks works great on a stock IRS. You do need a diff brace or replacement cover, but otherwise, rev it up and let it rip. The sidewalls take the hit and are much kinder to the IRS than a drag radial. Lots of guys run in the 9s on stock half shafts and slicks.