PDA

View Full Version : Suspension noise

duststang
06-12-2015, 10:08 AM
I bought a set of Eibach sway bars for my 06 stang to compliment my lowering springs. At first I didn't think there was much of a difference but the more I drive it the more I notice less body roll. Adjusting towards the front the rear end likes to whip (oversteer) good for drifting. I have it set in the middle and now seems good for daily use. When I hit larger bumps in the road seems like I hear a clunk sound this has been happening for a while. I thought it was my strut mounts so I installed camber kit with new strut mount, lowering springs, pan hard bar and tie rods still made the noise. So I thought maybe the sway bar bushings are shot and I like using maintenance as an excuse to upgrade but the noise is still there. I am not sure what is happen but the seems to come from both front and back. I am starting to wonder maybe my shocks and struts are doing it? Anyone experience a clunk sound while driving over bumps?

On top of the suspension noise my car is now starting to run like crap because it hesitates big time when WOT or if I am already moving it is a dog until mid RPM, not sure what is the issue? Never fails seems like when I get new parts a problem comes up.

NXcoupe
06-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Could be maf dirty or vacuum leak for the hesitation. The clunk is something you will have to have someone drive the car while you listen at different points or get it on a 4 post rack and duplicate it. Good luck, I need new cc plates as my coupe bangs over every bump.

08 Vette
06-12-2015, 04:32 PM
If you have stock shocks, the noise you hear could be the shocks bottoming out. Your shocks are designed for stock height springs. You should go to aftermarket shocks.

duststang
06-15-2015, 01:12 PM
thanks guys, Dang struts are so expensive... I guess I will have to open the wallet and get some. I notice my K&N filter is really dirty. I just cleaned it not long ago maybe all the construction I have been in lately? Oh well I am going to clean the my filter, MAF, throttle body real good see if that makes the difference. I was thinking of changing the plugs as well maybe some NGK?

chris91
06-15-2015, 02:21 PM
Make sure when you clean the filter that you don't over oil it and that you let it dry completely or the oil will get all over the MAF and make it run like shit. Also for the clunking, not sure on the newer body style but you could be hitting the pinion snubber. I know on 79-04 cars if lowered enough they recommend trimming the snubber or buying a shorter one from Maximum Motorsports. Also could be hitting the bump stops on the shocks and struts if they have them.

My car is lowered a good bit on stock shocks and struts and doesn't make any noises though so I'm not sure. I have a set of Tokico Illuminas waiting to go on mine. Might want to look into them, they are adjustable and are lifetime warrantied. Their customer service is awesome as well.

redfirepearlgt
06-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Don't over oil the filter. It WILL migrate through and coat your MAF...again. Doesn't take a lot of that oil to do the job.

duststang
07-09-2015, 10:48 AM
I forgot to update you guys on my hesitation issue. Once I opened the hood I noticed right away my CAI came loose after the Mass Air sensor. I put everything back together and tightened it down and back to normal.

NXcoupe
07-10-2015, 07:07 AM
What about the noise? My 12 needed new dogbone sway bar mounts. It sounded like the rear was gonna fall out of the car on even the smallest bump. Turns out the factory ones were worn out. Put some new moogs on it and shes quiet now

duststang
07-10-2015, 09:39 AM
I still have not figured out the noise. I have all new sway bar bushings and the dogbones. It kind of has a loose sound when I hit larger bumps? I am thinking it is either shocks or maybe control arm bushings? I hate throwing parts at it but it is not something easy to identify that is for sure.

duststang
08-17-2015, 12:02 PM
update, when I took my car in for alignment I guess they loosen the struts and did not tighten them back. I tighten them and the noise went away.