PDA

View Full Version : Travel Trailer vs. 5th Wheel

NC89GT
09-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Okay so I think my wife has me talked into getting a "camper" I have several family friends that have a camper at a local place and they are talking us into getting a the site that just opened up next to them. I will only move the trailer 2 time a year in the spring to install it and and the fall when it closes down. I'm in Indiana so year round isnt an option.

Looking for opinions on what to look for as I have 0 background in this field.

Looking to stay around $30k

Should I stay away from used?

Any manufacturer I should look at?

Weight isnt a factor as I have access to a truck that I can do my install and removal with.

Thanks for all replies.

cstreu1026
09-06-2015, 08:33 AM
The depreciation on those things is pretty ridiculous so you might be better off buying one a year or two old.

NC89GT
09-06-2015, 08:41 AM
I thought the same thing... I have just always hated buying used... I've only bought 1 used car out of the 8 cars I have owned in 15 years.. But Ill look around. We wont need to buy a trailer until april but if I find a good deal sometime this fall I wouldn't be opposed to buying now.

k062693w
09-06-2015, 10:22 AM
The depreciation on those things is pretty ridiculous so you might be better off buying one a year or two old.

^^^ This ...
And you're going to get a better deal now that it's the end of the season, Come spring everyone and their brother is looking for a camper ...
I would suggest a bumper pull for the room inside ...
$30,000 will buy you an average New Camper, Or a BadAss Top of the Line Used One ...
I would also suggest going to an RV dealership to Look at different models to see what best suits you and your family ... Then I would buy from a Private Party ...
Not only is Depreciation Huge, But Dealer Markup on Used Campers is Ridiculous ...

Good Luck ...

cstreu1026
09-06-2015, 10:42 AM
One idea if you are set on new look at Destination Trailers. They're designed for just what you want to do.

Black Horse
09-06-2015, 09:05 PM
If you are doing a LOT of travelling, the 5th wheel is the way to go, easier handling, backing, etc.

It sounds like you are not going to be pulling it much - I would lean towards a bumper pull. The bumper pull trailers are a bit less expensive plus you always have room in the bed of the truck!

redfirepearlgt
09-06-2015, 10:02 PM
I can get you into a motorhome (Airstream) that has a walk around Queen in the back. flat screen TV's, generator, two AC units two flat screens, micro, stove, frig, hot water heater, self leveling, and about 35K on the clock for around 20K. Comes with a brand new car dolly as well. If interested in this I can PM you my dad's number and location over in Indiana for a look see. He bought it two years ago and it is just way too much for him in size to drive at his age. Kitchen appliances look barely used. Much more I am sure on this one. I think its 35ft? Can't remember. no pull outs to fail on you. Fully furnished and stored winters inside storage.

1baddlx
09-07-2015, 11:27 AM
I have a 26ft bumper pull for sale,mint.priced under book value text me for info,or call if you don't have text...513 805 9390 you won't be disappointed with mine,it's stored year round in climate controlled building and I only use it 2 weeks a year.