PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of Race car insurance???

redfirepearlgt
12-06-2015, 08:43 PM
Was just curious. I have spoken to a few guys who carry insurance that covers their car while at the track for situations that would not be otherwise covered by a normal auto insurance policy. I found a thread through google that was posted on SB from a guy out of Canal Winchester named Bill Lutz that offered it. Of course this post was dated 2005. He and two others were in this together. Their names were Bill and Mike Flake.

Does anyone have this so called race insurance that covers your car in the event of a collision while competing or at a TT event? IF so who are you using please. I know Adam@SandMmotorsports told me he carried insurance on his car. So it is out there. Thanks for any feedback.

I am attempting to email the guys on YB about this. If I getanythig nback I will update. If you havea better alternative I am open to suggestions...aside from the proverbial "don't hit the frickin wall". Thanks

cstreu1026
12-06-2015, 09:13 PM
I'm switch to a policy for modified cars from Hagerty. It doesn't cover me while racing but for a little less than my standard policy from Liberty Mutual I have enough coverage to protect me if something happens elsewhere.

Mista Bone
12-06-2015, 09:58 PM
Some companies that host TT and HPDE offer event insurance if you are entered. I believe as long as you are not being scored/timed laps by the tower it is still considered a driving school.

I know others have coverage as long as the car is not on a hot track. For example wind damage from storms while in the paddocks or while being towed to/from the event.

What are you looking to be doing? NASA, SCCA or just a track day?

Mista Bone
12-06-2015, 10:05 PM
Also note, be prepared to "write the car off" through no actions of your own. Same thing that can happen at Edgewater when you run through someone elses water at the top end stripe.....

Ask Craig about the 86 Monte SS....

redfirepearlgt
12-06-2015, 10:32 PM
Was looking for insurance that will cover the car in case of a wreck at the track be it a TT, NMRA, or Friday night Lights event. Pretty certain GEICO and most others would not cover damages under such conditions. Maybe there are more understanding insurance companies available to insure a car such as mine that is both street driven and makes the occasional track appearance. And no course racing is of no interest to me. Thanks.

cstreu1026
12-07-2015, 06:58 AM
Most companies don't want any part of covering a car while racing but I did track this down. http://coiservices.com/?page_id=293

redfirepearlgt
12-07-2015, 07:11 AM
Most companies don't want any part of covering a car while racing but I did track this down. http://coiservices.com/?page_id=293

Thats who the YB thread was referring to. Didn't know they had a website. Thanks.

m347
12-07-2015, 08:15 AM
You can insure the car and most policies will cover it anywhere but on the track.
No coverage from the line at the head of staging lane to the time ticket booth.

http://www.dragracersinsurance.com

This company covers the car on the return road too.
Covered everywhere except going down the track under power.

redfirepearlgt
12-07-2015, 01:08 PM
awesome thanks!!!!

Mista Bone
12-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Also think about your safety equipment. Just lost a driver/shop owner due to on track incident. His car was 6 point caged but he wasn't wearing a HANS. More details still coming in.

k062693w
12-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Bill Lutz is still in the business and offers On Track insurance ... He's still an active member on YellowBullet ...

redfirepearlgt
12-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Thanks Aaron. I just got the forms back from a guy named Kenny that was part of that YB thread I googled. I'm not on YB but found it through searching. Thanks for letting me know.

redfirepearlgt
12-07-2015, 04:24 PM
Also think about your safety equipment. Just lost a driver/shop owner due to on track incident. His car was 6 point caged but he wasn't wearing a HANS. More details still coming in.

plan on staying compliant. Have to see what the car will do wit the 13 setup in this car. THen I will know if I need to look into roll cages, safety restraints and the sort. Thanks man.

Mista Bone
12-07-2015, 04:34 PM
Go beyond the bare min.

Bolt in cages can punch through the floor board for example, esp. if you get upside down.

Also any belts/harness you have for yourself, have the same for the instructor/passenger. Since production cars are getting faster, many instructors are giving it up the right seat for their safety and well being.

Slow POS Honda's are safer because they are slower :)

Danny Popp would be a good person to chat with if he has time, or Lee Grimes @ KONI.

redfirepearlgt
12-07-2015, 08:51 PM
You can insure the car and most policies will cover it anywhere but on the track.
No coverage from the line at the head of staging lane to the time ticket booth.

http://www.dragracersinsurance.com

This company covers the car on the return road too.
Covered everywhere except going down the track under power.

Does not insure cars that are street registered. Says so in yellow bold on home page. Thanks though.

2Kblacksleeper
12-08-2015, 01:10 AM
Bill Lutz is the guy to talk to. When I get another racecar/street car it will have both insurances.

Mista Bone
12-08-2015, 06:08 PM
http://www.trackhq.com/forums/f303/fatality-buttonwillow-8951/

redfirepearlgt
12-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Bill Lutz is the guy to talk to. When I get another racecar/street car it will have both insurances.

In contact with his son Ken who now handles COIS as I understand it, or is working with him. Sent the form to then today. WIll find out more after I get the quote back.

evil8
12-09-2015, 12:10 AM
Bill Lutz and Kenny Lutz are good guys for sure....COIS is also a sponsor of the XOS. Mention XOS and get absolutely no discount, but will give ya some street cred with the Lutzs!

redfirepearlgt
12-09-2015, 12:14 AM
No prob. Will do. Thanks.

Mista Bone
12-09-2015, 02:20 PM
http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a27551/cheap-car-racing-safety/