PDA

View Full Version : Supercharging Questions/Thoughts?

CNTLOSE
01-28-2016, 11:56 PM
I am debating on stimulating the economy and buying a supercharger with my tax return. It is for my 1990 GT AOD convertible. I am in the process of adding some GT40P heads and Explorer intake as well as the usual exhaust mods. I have been looking at the Vortech V-3 SC-TRIM kit. https://lmr.com/item/VOR-4FA218010L/1986-93-Mustang-50L-Satin-V-3-Si-Trim-Low-Boost-Vortech-Supe

The car has 103k babied miles and was 99% stock when I bought it. I would plan on the 42 lb injectors and a 255 lph fuel pump in addition to everything in the kit plus a dyno tune. I am not looking for a drag strip beast, just something that is at least as fast as modern 4 door family cars....okay if it could dip into the 12's that would be cool. At the moment I plan on keeping it AOD so a shifting valve body and stall will be in the future as well. For a cam not sure if keeping it OEM or getting something like a TF stage 1 would be best?

So those of you familiar with SC does this sound like a good way to go? I know it is only 6 lbs of boost but from what I have read I should be somewhere in the upper 300 hp range with these heads and intake. Plus if I ever decide to get a forged stroker motor and some serious heads it appears it does not take much to upgrade the SC. (Pulley and tubes?)

So any thoughts or experience you can provide would be helpful. Like I said it will not be for track duty and will probably only make it to the track once a year...if that. This is more for a fun summer DD.

Thanks!

USMCPONY
01-29-2016, 07:20 AM
My buddy has a 1993 Cobra with 20,000 miles. It has gt40 heads and a vortech S trim. Dynoed at 330rwhp. He also bought my old 1992 Mustang gt. Put better heads. I think trickflow twisted wedge heads, a good cam, trickflow intake, long tube headers, x pipe and catback exhaust. It dynoed at 310rwhp (ran 11.8 in the 1/4). According to him the cobra feels allot slower. He's only running 6lbs and it's barely spinning it. With that said. Id probably spend the money on better flowing heads, nice cam and a good ported intake and do the supercharger later. You'll save weight too without getting the supercharger. Also, I've never seen a factory auto last with any mods. Mine blew bone stock. Just my $ .02

USMCPONY
01-29-2016, 07:38 AM
Also, I would never get a kit without a intercooler.

NXcoupe
01-29-2016, 10:28 AM
Go with a procharger p1sc. I can give you a great deal on one, if you'd like. I am with above^ the stock aod is a very weak piece. It may not hold up with power to it. But as for a stocker with a blower, ask Jeff on here, he's got a T trim on a stock engine, made close to 400 rwhp through a stick. Not bad for stock.

CNTLOSE
01-29-2016, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I had thought about doing the HCI swap with the TF set up I had on my 94. I made 301/3?? something with that combo...but that was a 5 spd car. As far as the AOD I have also thought about swapping it out at some point for a 5 spd...but that may be awhile. I ran some GT40Y heads w/ a Cobra intake and a the usual other mods on my '92 AOD. Lost OD and swapped in another that lasted as long as I had the car. Of course I quit doing the 1D1 shifts too...lol. For that reason I was going to change the valve body so I would not have to do the 1D1 shift when I did want to play.

Also looks like the numbers I was reading on the Corral and other places were a little inflated...no surprise there...which is why I brought my questions here. I am wanting to put together a good combo over time while not having to put the car up on blocks for a year or more....I tend to lose interest and sell them off when I do that.

Thanks again for the input guys. Mike if you can PM me the price on the procharger.

1baddlx
01-29-2016, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I had thought about doing the HCI swap with the TF set up I had on my 94. I made 301/3?? something with that combo...but that was a 5 spd car. As far as the AOD I have also thought about swapping it out at some point for a 5 spd...but that may be awhile. I ran some GT40Y heads w/ a Cobra intake and a the usual other mods on my '92 AOD. Lost OD and swapped in another that lasted as long as I had the car. Of course I quit doing the 1D1 shifts too...lol. For that reason I was going to change the valve body so I would not have to do the 1D1 shift when I did want to play.

Also looks like the numbers I was reading on the Corral and other places were a little inflated...no surprise there...which is why I brought my questions here. I am wanting to put together a good combo over time while not having to put the car up on blocks for a year or more....I tend to lose interest and sell them off when I do that.

Thanks again for the input guys. Mike if you can PM me the price on the procharger.

Check with beefcake ,he gives great deals,the nice thing with him is,he's handy to answer questions,and his prices are very good!

Gearhead
01-29-2016, 10:20 PM
If you do decide to go the supercharger route...I have a new still in the box Paxton Novi 1220SL that I'll sell. Have a couple different pullies as well. Also, I have about every kind of 5.0 pushrod performance part you would ever want if you're looking for anything....Alum cyl heads, Gt40/Cobra intakes , cams, h pipe, exhaust, 347 short or long block, clutches, 5 lug conversion, etc

USMCPONY
01-30-2016, 01:44 AM
If you do decide to go the supercharger route...I have a new still in the box Paxton Novi 1220SL that I'll sell. Have a couple different pullies as well. Also, I have about every kind of 5.0 pushrod performance part you would ever want if you're looking for anything....Alum cyl heads, Gt40/Cobra intakes , cams, h pipe, exhaust, 347 short or long block, clutches, 5 lug conversion, etc

If Cntlose doesn't buy it. The guy I mentioned wants to add a blower. Do you have a price?

CNTLOSE
01-30-2016, 07:17 AM

Scott send me what you would want for the SC and let me know what heads you have please. Also do you have the discharge upgrade for it?

COOP
01-30-2016, 09:50 AM

Is the 5-lug stuff SN95? I've been casually searching for a SN95 brake set up

Gearhead
01-30-2016, 11:11 AM
Scott send me what you would want for the SC and let me know what heads you have please. Also do you have the discharge upgrade for it?

Matt - sent you a PM

Gearhead
01-30-2016, 11:12 AM
Is the 5-lug stuff SN95? I've been casually searching for a SN95 brake set up

Yes...mostly all Cobra stuff. The front calipers are still new in the boxes, etc.

NXcoupe
01-30-2016, 11:50 AM
How much on the SN95 cobra stuff?
I have a bunch of used performance stuff as well. Right now I have two DSS 306 engines, with girdle and windage tray on one, ported GT40 heads, alum radiators with electric fans, brand new MAC stuff at dealer pricing(limited part numbers), Holley Systemax intake, GT40P intake, throttle bodies, etc. Have some sn95 spindles and GT brakes(94/95). I will give you a price on the procharger, but if you can get a nice used setup from someone reputable off the board, I'd do that personally. jmho. but the procharger is intercooled.

CNTLOSE
01-30-2016, 12:31 PM
Scott replied to your PM.

Mike, I have an Explorer intake I will probably use for now. I also already have my exhaust set up. I may be interested in getting an electric fan and some other things if I pick up those heads and SC from Scott.

mustang_gt88
01-30-2016, 11:47 PM
I have a 91lx stock motor with vortech supercharger. 400 at the tires and I love it

redfirepearlgt
01-31-2016, 08:13 AM
Getting blown can become an addiction!!! :lol:

slow86fiveoh
01-31-2016, 10:21 AM
Gearhead if you don't mind pm me a price on the Paxton kit as well

CNTLOSE
01-31-2016, 12:37 PM
Getting blown can become an addiction!!! :lol:

lol...I know I loved my '04 Cobra and dare I say an old Grand Prix GTP I had. Swapped the pulley on it and it was a nice sleeper. Caught many people off guard at the track with it.

redfirepearlgt
01-31-2016, 01:28 PM
never had any issues with Pontiacs. Owned three in my lifetime.

Walter
01-31-2016, 02:23 PM
blower route is kind of a rabbit hole scenario. Id do a badass HCI setup with a good converter and call it good.

Gearhead
01-31-2016, 04:36 PM
blower route is kind of a rabbit hole scenario. Id do a badass HCI setup with a good converter and call it good.

Nailed it

Yellow98Cobra
01-31-2016, 05:51 PM
never had any issues with Pontiacs. Owned three in my lifetime.

Pontiac had the cool cars, Trans am, gto, g8,grand prix. All Chevy has is the vette.

CNTLOSE
01-31-2016, 06:07 PM
I really appreciate everyone giving me their opinion. I am leaning to just doing the HCI upgrades as I do want a car we can hope in and take to Florida or wherever with no issues. Should no for sure here in the next day or two.

Blkcobra01
01-31-2016, 10:21 PM
AFR heads, good cam, and an intake first. Then blower later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kylebach14
02-01-2016, 01:24 AM
Have you given any thought about a 32 valve mated with a T-45 swap? Probably make more power out of the 5.0 but I always thought the 32's were cool in a fox.
I was looking at a GT40 Port and Polish setup until I found a great deal on my aluminum heads. There's another guy on a forum with port and polished e7's, 3.73's and a cobra intake that ran mid 13's through an AOD. Seems like a fun and reliable setup. Good luck with your decision.

CNTLOSE
02-01-2016, 07:20 AM
Have you given any thought about a 32 valve mated with a T-45 swap? Probably make more power out of the 5.0 but I always thought the 32's were cool in a fox.
I was looking at a GT40 Port and Polish setup until I found a great deal on my aluminum heads. There's another guy on a forum with port and polished e7's, 3.73's and a cobra intake that ran mid 13's through an AOD. Seems like a fun and reliable setup. Good luck with your decision.

I like sticking with a 302 based motor. Working on the overhead cam engines is way above my pay grade...lol. If funds were unlimited and I had the knowledge and time I would love to do a Coyote swap.

For the time being it looks like I will be sticking with just a HCI upgrade. I really wanted to SC it but after talking with several of you, it really does not fit in with my plans for the car. I am getting the heads from Scott and have someone taking these GT40P's off my hands. So thanks again everyone for your thoughts and opinions, I really appreciate it.

CNTLOSE
02-05-2016, 08:16 PM
****Scott****

For some reason Mark and I can not send you PM here...keeps erroring out. We will be at your house around 3:30. Feel free to text call or text me if something comes up. 937-829-1595

Gearhead
02-05-2016, 10:10 PM
****Scott****

For some reason Mark and I can not send you PM here...keeps erroring out. We will be at your house around 3:30. Feel free to text call or text me if something comes up. 937-829-1595

Matt,

Sounds good...seems like you are having the same PM problem I had the other night.
See ya tomorrow.

CNTLOSE
02-06-2016, 11:43 AM
Scott I might be able to get down there closer to 230 if that will work. They moved my daughter's game up to noon and she should be done by 1. I am leaving there and coming straight down. GPS says you're just over an hour away. Just let me know if that will work for you and if so does that work for you Mark?

Scott if you don't care can you text me your number in case I get lost or held up? Mark I will text you when I am about 30 minutes out.

graysonracin
02-06-2016, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the parts guys, good seeing both of you.

CNTLOSE
02-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the parts guys, good seeing both of you.

No problem, thank you! Was nice meeting both of you in person as well. Scott I will be in touch...lol