PDA

View Full Version : Question on next upgrades

gzbs197
08-29-2016, 02:46 PM
So my turbo install is going to be delayed it seems till the spring. Looking to do a few more minor upgrades to get some better times out of the car NA. Here is short list of what I am looking to install:

1. 1 piece Alum DS - S197's have a 55lb steel 2 piece DS. @$650 - $750 Looking at Steeda DS or Shaftmasters
2. 15inch rims / slick rear with skinny's on front - @$1400 depending on tire combo - will make the car not drivable and require full 4 tire swap if street driving.
3. Better Stall converter - currently running a TCI 3K Street Fighter stall - looking at a PI converter - @$1000
4. Steeda Front Radiator Mount Kit - @$260 - replaces stock mount with tubular one saves about 20lbs.

I figured the DS and radiator mount will drop about .3 off my time and make the car lighter as well when the turbo goes in so no real harm in doing that.

Not sure what overall gain I will get with the 15" slicks front and back so anyone running those want to let me know how much I can expect to drop in times?

I know that PI and Circle D are the big names in 5R55S converters , got the TCI on a sweet deal and it is doing well so maybe saving till I get the turbo to do this.

Thanks for any suggestions / comments!!!

Hensley32
08-29-2016, 02:51 PM
What kind of transmission you running? Reason i ask is slicks are rough on a non built trans rear end ect...

gzbs197
08-29-2016, 03:03 PM
I have a 5R55S with a TCI 3K stall. Running FRPP 3.73 gears in the 8.8 that had a complete trak loc rebuild done at 60K.

firestang70
08-29-2016, 03:13 PM
The 5r is not a real robust tranny, I would not trust it with a turbo. A stock 3v going over 450 rwhp gets into the grey area. There are many pieces where you can save weight a arms, kmember etc. I ran skinnies on the front of my 06, you don't have to swap all 4 at the track. Modding cars is fun and frustrating at the same time.

gzbs197
08-29-2016, 03:23 PM
I wont be going over 450 / 475 for now. From what I have read and seen the 5R55S is not the weak point on boost - its the rods / connecting assemblies in the 3V's.
Here is a link to the JDM guys response on how far they have pushed the 5R55S. Of cours YMMV -
http://www.modularfords.com/threads/148817-How-far-have-you-pushed-the-5R55S

I would swap as I semi-daily mine so dont want to risk it on the street with the skinny setup.

redfirepearlgt
08-29-2016, 03:56 PM
You may pick up some with a 39 lb aluminum DS, but what you get better yet is some piece of mind on a beefier one piece. I went with Axle exchange and have had zero issues with it on both cars its been on.

As for the stall you may wish to wait on that until you have gotten the turbo setup installed and completed because you may just find yourself doing it a third time. You already have one so I would put the money toward an Exedy clutch pack in mid shaft upgrade for the tranny.

I'd stick with BMR on suspension mods. Metco makes nice stuff but I have never dealt with them. Not a fan of Steeda. BMR tech support is awesome. Set up correctly DR's can do very well.

Don't know how much you will gain on the slicks over your current tire. 1.78 with your current setup is pretty respectable, especially at E20.

Many say to lose the front sway bar. I have not tried that yet, because my goals for my car included keeping the car at full weight. Now that has been accomplished I may begin losing some weight like the front sway bar.

An off road midpipe would help but you may wish to revisit your axle back muffler choice. You could pick up another 10 or so RWHP with an offroad and touch up tune assuming Brenspeed would offer you that without charging you.

gzbs197
08-29-2016, 04:09 PM
Actually - swapping tunes between the VMP and Bama tunes. That 12.97 - that was Bama. Still working with VMP to get their tune right. I installed a 2010 intake that has the CDMP's so the negates any use of my Brenspeed files unless I paid again and they were not a responsive or willing to make changes with datalogging as Bama / VMP has been. I know alot of people knock Bama but their 2nd tier guy I have been working with has been really great at looking at whatever logs I send him and making adjustments.

Yea I am leaning towards the DS first. I also want to put on the PA deep pan with dip stick as well. Pick up 2 quarts of tranny fluid and a finned pan for cooling.

I haven't dont the UCA yet just LCA's and Panhard bar so might do that as well.

Yea those M & H Racemaster DR's do hook up pretty well.

I love the SLP axle back delete sound. I know if I go off road X pipe I would have to put mufflers back on to keep back pressure. Wonder how the sound would change though.

redfirepearlgt
08-29-2016, 05:10 PM
Look at the METCO UCA package. It would have been my preferred choice had I seen it before the BMR and its only about 25 bucks more. BMR is great stuff however.

VMP is already a move up. Those guys are great to work with. Very professional and patient. Next best thing to a local custom tune from one of our locals. Not surprised with Brent and his cronies. Used to deal with them. Learned that they aren't competent when doing multiple upgrades......unless you are a preferred customer. And believe me preferred means a whole lot more than $12k in upgrades.

IT will be frickin loud with out cats. That is why I said muffler revisit.

USMCPONY
08-29-2016, 05:16 PM
Unless you're going to build everything on the car. Id just trade it for a 4v. I had a 3v and it was only good to 450hp.

gzbs197
08-29-2016, 05:20 PM
I don't like the new body style all that much. Maybe I would buy a 2012 to 2014 but I don't care for the 2015 and up.

I will look at the METCO UCA.

USMCPONY
08-29-2016, 05:35 PM
By the time you put on a turbo kit and the rest of your mods. You'd probably break even with just trading it in. I had a couple buddies that went with a jdm 302 stroker, whipple 3.4, stage 3 heads cam and only running mid 10's. A 2014 with a whipple will damn near run that on a stock block, cams and heads. Don't make the same mistake I did by modifying a 3v.

gzbs197
08-29-2016, 05:56 PM
well i got the car as a gift so i just have my mods in it at this point. If I trade it in , there is a car payment I don't have now. But it is something to consider.

redfirepearlgt
08-29-2016, 08:48 PM
I don't like the new body style all that much. Maybe I would buy a 2012 to 2014 but I don't care for the 2015 and up.

we share that opinion as well. I call the 15+ the Eurostang. I do covet the forged internals on the engine however.

gzbs197
08-31-2016, 08:48 AM
Not really a performance upgrade but I did install a new Elenaor style grille the other day. http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q426/gzbs197/newfront_zpsos4xpsxf.jpg