PDA

View Full Version : What motivates you as far as working on your car?

NXcoupe
01-17-2017, 07:32 PM
What gets you out to the garage to work on your machine? What motivates you to want to spend more money and spend hours out in the garage thrashing on your ride to get it a bit quicker than it was?

I was listening to the podcast of SO today and that got me wanting to get out and start working on my stuff, then I realized it's a 20 min drive to the shop, then I have to walk past all the work I have to do there, and I just give up. I need to stay motivated to finish my turbo coyote and get it at the track this year.
So, share, what gets you going?

SN95N/A
01-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Hey just think about how much fun it was when we was all at Edgewater that should motivate you to get it going!!plus think about taking that #1 spot from Shayne that should be enough LOL:lol:

draggin50
01-18-2017, 12:50 AM
Taking a hobby and making it a job kills it. Atleast that's how it was for me. After working on them all day, the last thing I wanted to do was work on my own.

Now I work on planes, and still don't work on the car as much as I would like. In your position Mike, that would make it real hard to motivate me. After the drive and looking at others that are paying, wouldn't provide much drive.

Mista Bone
01-18-2017, 01:41 AM
Wrenching with friends. Wrenching alone just kills it.

I was called to Mass. to work on an expensive race trans, once that was done helping on the wiring of the road race car, mocking up brackets, drilling speed holes.

I'd hate to be the one doing that alone.

Rick93coupe
01-18-2017, 02:27 AM
A little sunshine and 60 degree temps gets me thinking about it but I have to agree that having friends to wrench with makes it so much better. Whether it's bouncing ideas of one another or telling old racing stories. Throw in a beer or 2 and your bound to get some stuff done and have a good time.

NXcoupe
01-18-2017, 10:58 AM
Yes, having friends hang out while you are working does help a bunch. Problem is I feel guilty anytime I work on my stuff and not a customer's. Donna suggested I dedicate Sundays to working on my own stuff. We will see how that goes.

Stangman
01-18-2017, 11:36 AM
Lately.. nothing. :(

I would rather have friends around when wrenching though, but none live close anymore. I try to get some music with a catchy beat out there in the garage while I'm out there, but I just get demotivated so quickly.. I don't think I'll ever finish a car.

NXcoupe
01-18-2017, 01:27 PM
I wish i lived closer and had more time. I would come help you out.

Stangman
01-18-2017, 02:22 PM
I wish i lived closer and had more time. I would come help you out.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Once this thing does get a little more together I'm gonna definitely have to find a fox to use as a reference because this thing has been apart so long I think I've forgotten how it goes back together!

NXcoupe
01-18-2017, 03:25 PM
I've got a few of them around here for you to look at for a reference.

Mista Bone
01-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Lately.. nothing. :(

I would rather have friends around when wrenching though, but none live close anymore. I try to get some music with a catchy beat out there in the garage while I'm out there, but I just get demotivated so quickly.. I don't think I'll ever finish a car.

Podcasts or WTUE when I'm working out in the garage.

2Fast4You
01-18-2017, 05:19 PM
Hey just think about how much fun it was when we was all at Edgewater that should motivate you to get it going!!plus think about taking that #1 spot from Shayne that should be enough LOL:lol:

Yeah, What he said...
That should be more than enough. Lol

Gearhead
01-18-2017, 08:39 PM
I have no motivation at all these days. I have a couple 'stangs that I tinker with and just have no desire to work on them. I think a lack of free time is part of my problem.
Only 3 years until retirement though....that should free up about 50 hrs per week !!!

redfirepearlgt
01-18-2017, 10:43 PM
Seeing the golf clubs in the basement got me more excited than anything of recent. It's been almost 10 years since I was swinging the clubs. I kinda miss being on the course with my pops, hearing the birds and catching some rays while walking 18. it may be time to pull the Callaway's out, dust them off, and start heading to the driving range to grove that swing again.

Walter
01-18-2017, 10:59 PM
I like working on my stuff alone, i like the solitude.

2-Tone
01-19-2017, 09:15 PM

Me too. I hate working with an audience.

Dtony
01-19-2017, 09:54 PM
I like having a project and seeing the results. I have a very stressful management job, so getting into the garage with just me and the car is very relaxing.

Plus, I like to go fast.

USMCPONY
01-20-2017, 03:46 AM
Nothing. That's why it takes me a year to build one :lol:

Stangman
01-20-2017, 09:45 AM
What I don't understand is, I've rode in some fast cars. But I leave the experience just like it never happened... yes, it was fun, but it doesn't make we want to go start wrenching on mine... at least anymore.

S281SC
01-20-2017, 02:45 PM
I have found a couple things that help...

1. a little friendly competition (trying to keep up with my brother or...)
2. working alongside someone (friends and family make it more fun)

I have found having somebody in the garage while I am working eases the pain of my mistakes or broken parts.

Maximus
01-20-2017, 03:24 PM
I try and work alone as its comforting to me. I deal with stuff all day at work, so its nice to unplug and just dive in and get shit done. Of course I have the stereo on blast sometimes as that helps also.

Am I the only one, but for whatever reason, Ill just sit looking at the engine bay and go over in my head how I want to run wires, lines, wires etc etc. I mean, Ill stare at it for like 10 minutes and then go work on something else. :lol:

Mista Bone
01-20-2017, 03:42 PM
All the above.

I prefer wrenching with someone, like Joe'e and me did at Craig's old shop.

But with a transmission customer around and talking too much, I make mistakes and have to go back, so times like those I prefer to be alone.

We've all made the "Bud Light/Miller Lite" mistakes and spent more time fixing them the next day.

Gearhead
01-21-2017, 08:07 AM

Me too. I hate working with an audience.

Agree 100% with this.

NXcoupe
01-21-2017, 08:37 AM
I try and work alone as its comforting to me. I deal with stuff all day at work, so its nice to unplug and just dive in and get shit done. Of course I have the stereo on blast sometimes as that helps also.

Am I the only one, but for whatever reason, Ill just sit looking at the engine bay and go over in my head how I want to run wires, lines, wires etc etc. I mean, Ill stare at it for like 10 minutes and then go work on something else. :lol:
No, you are not alone. Except I then make a huge list and pick something as my starting point. Wife suggested I use Sunday's as a day I work on only my stuff. I will see how that goes.

NXcoupe
01-21-2017, 08:38 AM
I have found a couple things that help...

1. a little friendly competition (trying to keep up with my brother or...)
2. working alongside someone (friends and family make it more fun)

I have found having somebody in the garage while I am working eases the pain of my mistakes or broken parts.
I agree, this has helped me as well. But there are times where just out there by myself has been great and seen lots of progress as well.

Kwik92GT
01-21-2017, 10:29 PM
I have found that I actually get more enjoyment seeing other people getting their own projects done, and helping them get there, versus getting my own done. I don't often allow these same people to help me with my own project. :tard: It's a crazy cycle. The biggest obstacle to getting my project done is my own mind, I want everything to be PERFECT or at least perfect to me, and if it's not, I just put off doing ANYTHING until I get the problem resolved. It happens with every part of my car I work on. My car would have easily been out and running YEARS ago if I could just get out of my own way. I know all this, and yet it continues, FML. :lol:

Mista Bone
01-22-2017, 04:19 AM
Kwik92GT, I found my "happy spot" building transmissions (Honda's) for others, mostly road racers now as they understand the costs involved.

Most cost more than a new TKO 600, one cost four times that.

chad393na
01-25-2017, 12:07 AM
I prefer working alone also.. Its very easy to get distracted talking to your buddy and forget to tighten something! :lol: I do like to help out a friend in need when the opportunity arises.