PDA

View Full Version : what to look for when buying an S197

auto alchemist
01-20-2017, 01:52 PM
OK I haven't been on here for a long time, mainly because I kept buying Thunderbirds instead of buying a mustang. Well I've finally decided to buy one, I found an 05 legend lime (one of my favorite colors) GT with a manual transmission and 66k miles. I'm going to look at it this weekend and I'm wondering if the S197 has any known issues I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

gzbs197
01-20-2017, 03:28 PM
Current recalls on them are airbags right now. There is a TSB for leaking / improper sealing for the SJB area (Just had mine replaced) so look for water in the passenger area or a wet SJB. The alternators are a common fail component on them as well. Plus if the plugs haven't been changed you will need to plan on doing that and be aware you might break some if not careful as these are 2 piece plugs from the factory. I did mine at 68K miles and didn't break one plug so I can tell you what I did that worked for me. You are also getting close to the recommended Trac-Lok rebuild interval as well so see how the rear-end sounds. I did mine at 64K when I put in the 3.73 gears.

My 2006 GT has 83K on it and is still running strong. Since you have a manual you don't have to worry about no dipstick on the 5R55S issue. It won't hurt to freshen up suspension parts , LCA's , shocks , etc as well at this point if you purchase the vehicle if not done already. Good luck with the purchase!!!

redfirepearlgt
01-20-2017, 06:50 PM
I had 2 issues with my 2005. One was a vibration that I like to never have found. It sounded like a loose catalytic heat shield, though the cats no longer have that on newer cars. Turned out it was an interference issue between the separator plate and the crank hub. Ford has a TSB out on it but it can be hard to detect If you even have one that has the problem. So I really wouldn't worry about that unless you begin hearing it. Then just deal with it when you decide to upgrade the clutch and flywheel for more power. All needs be done is open up the clearance hole where the sep plate fits around the rear crank hub that the flywheel attaches to. The water drainage issue has already been mentioned above. The only other thing is that Cam phasers were known for failure on the 3V early on. Should it happen it will sound as if you through a rod. Happened a month after I had after market cams installed. Can't prove it but I believe the phasers were installed completely which caused the problem. No damage otherwise to the car though.That's about it really on the 05-09. Anything else would be failures from routine wear. Nice cars the 05-09.

auto alchemist
01-21-2017, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I did some research on that junction box issue, that's something I definitely wouldn't have thought to look for without knowing about it beforehand.