PDA

View Full Version : "WARNING" Speed Trap in the Village of Brice in Hamilton Ohio

may93
01-29-2017, 07:46 PM
If you want to see a perfect example of how speed cameras can be misused look up "The Village of Brice" in Hamilton Ohio. The fact the cameras could be used for safety issues are always over shadowed because of small towns or villages such as these.

They've created their own Civil Violation Hearing System so that the money is shared between them and a Company out of Tennessee. This after the Mayors Courts were shut down by the State for reasons such as this. They even got involved with kick backs from the local towing companies and found themselves in hot water.

My daughter received a "civil speeding violation" by mail last month from this same Village. I told her she needs to slow down but she honestly didn't have any idea of when or where she was speeding at. Not sure where safety is created with a ticket that arrives weeks later in the mail.

To clarify this is not a dig on Law Enforcement at all. She was speeding and paid the fine however the camera type of speed enforcement is not about safety but instead revenue.

Long story short if your out driving in Ohio avoid this area!

k062693w
01-29-2017, 07:58 PM
I thought the State deemed unmanned cameras as Unconstitutional and Unenforceable, That's why all the redlight cameras have been removed ???

may93
01-29-2017, 08:19 PM
I thought the State deemed unmanned cameras as Unconstitutional and Unenforceable, That's why all the redlight cameras have been removed ???

So did I but they've found a way around the system once again. What they're doing is having a Police Officer operate the camera that is then automatically uploaded to the Speed Camera Supplier who in return issues the ticket through the mail. No Police interaction with the speeder or notification at the time of the offense. The Village has been under question for years now for these type of practices.

Rick93coupe
01-30-2017, 01:18 AM
I hate them too. It's all revenue based, just like the seat belt ticket. I had a trooper give me a speech about not wearing my belt one day. He didn't know what to say when I asked him if he was genuinely worried about my well being. He handed me the ticket and told me to have a nice day, lol.

Mista Bone
01-30-2017, 01:59 AM
You mean New Miami, US 127? Which is in Butler Co. just north of Hamilton?

The Village of Brice is east of Columbus.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2015/11/28/1-brice-finds-another-way.html

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/04/12/houses-passes-another-measure-to-try-to-stop-village-of-brices-traffic-ticketing.html

may93
01-30-2017, 07:29 PM
You mean New Miami, US 127? Which is in Butler Co. just north of Hamilton?

The Village of Brice is east of Columbus.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2015/11/28/1-brice-finds-another-way.html

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/04/12/houses-passes-another-measure-to-try-to-stop-village-of-brices-traffic-ticketing.html

The letter received from the Village of Brice Police Department says 3189 Princeton RD Hamilton Ohio 45011. Its definitely the Village of Price where the alleged speeding took place. Yes your links are correct regarding the location . Its hard to believe that they enforce the speeding laws as if they're saying lives while they themselves circumvent the laws their sworn to enforce.

Mista Bone
01-30-2017, 07:53 PM
That address is a UPS store...you might wanna contact Richard K. Jones's office about possible fraud, aka the Butler Co. Sheriff.

https://hamilton-oh-5033.theupsstorelocal.com/

If ticket was paid with a check or credit card, have those accounts closed!

redfirepearlgt
01-31-2017, 09:19 AM
Ah, the wonderful camera system that is owned actually by a company in Arizona as I recall. I was also a victim of that deal. I was targeted by that same minivan camera rig in that same area. Won't go into details, but I contacted an attorney in Hamilton who told me that it was fruitless to worry with. They get around this because the citation is not an actual ticket, but rather a fee being applied for exceeding the speed limit. There are no points assessed to your license and your insurance will not be effected. I got this straight from the attorney I contacted to seek representation from on my so called ticket.

There are several options - One - you can pay the fee and be done with it. Two - you can ignore the fee which will have no effect on license or driving privileges, but will be turned over to a collection agency by the company managing/monitoring the system for that township/city. Three - you can try vainly to fight it.

If you choose option two - make sure you consult with an attorney first (doesn't cost anything for an initial consult) to make sure that laws haven't changed on this since mine happened over 5 years ago in that area.

As I recall the camera system is a deal between the Arizona company (may be others now) and the city or municipality the deal is cut with. The monitoring company assesses whether to issue a citation fee. There is no judge or jury involved. The city gets a portion of the fee for road maintenance. The company that owns the camera system gets the rest. It's all under a contract agreement as I understood it at the time of my ordeal.

Good luck.

Mista Bone
01-31-2017, 03:43 PM
I got busted by the one in New Miami, drove the route nightly on my courier route. I knew at the warning sign for the speed to drop if I just let off the gas and coasted, I'd be at 38-39 mph in a 35 mph zone. For their speed camera you wouldn't get "flashed" unless you were doing 45 mph or more.

My boss was texting me and I wasn't paying attention, needless to say after that my boss was PISSED because I'd wait until I was at my next stop before texting. I paid the "ticket" with a money order and am part of the class action lawsuit over the cameras.

IMHO the New Miami setup was the fairest. If I get any money back it is getting donated back somehow. Those ticketing programs, the local city/town only get about 10%, the company gets all the rest.

may93
01-31-2017, 07:58 PM
Ah, the wonderful camera system that is owned actually by a company in Arizona as I recall. I was also a victim of that deal. I was targeted by that same minivan camera rig in that same area. Won't go into details, but I contacted an attorney in Hamilton who told me that it was fruitless to worry with. They get around this because the citation is not an actual ticket, but rather a fee being applied for exceeding the speed limit. There are no points assessed to your license and your insurance will not be effected. I got this straight from the attorney I contacted to seek representation from on my so called ticket.

There are several options - One - you can pay the fee and be done with it. Two - you can ignore the fee which will have no effect on license or driving privileges, but will be turned over to a collection agency by the company managing/monitoring the system for that township/city. Three - you can try vainly to fight it.

If you choose option two - make sure you consult with an attorney first (doesn't cost anything for an initial consult) to make sure that laws haven't changed on this since mine happened over 5 years ago in that area.

As I recall the camera system is a deal between the Arizona company (may be others now) and the city or municipality the deal is cut with. The monitoring company assesses whether to issue a citation fee. There is no judge or jury involved. The city gets a portion of the fee for road maintenance. The company that owns the camera system gets the rest. It's all under a contract agreement as I understood it at the time of my ordeal.

Good luck.

It was my daughters speeding ticket and she was speeding so she paid it. Had it been me I would have shredded it. My credit is good enough I'd have challenged and had it removed.

I got busted by the one in New Miami, drove the route nightly on my courier route. I knew at the warning sign for the speed to drop if I just let off the gas and coasted, I'd be at 38-39 mph in a 35 mph zone. For their speed camera you wouldn't get "flashed" unless you were doing 45 mph or more.

My boss was texting me and I wasn't paying attention, needless to say after that my boss was PISSED because I'd wait until I was at my next stop before texting. I paid the "ticket" with a money order and am part of the class action lawsuit over the cameras.

IMHO the New Miami setup was the fairest. If I get any money back it is getting donated back somehow. Those ticketing programs, the local city/town only get about 10%, the company gets all the rest.

Look up the Village of Brice as in their case they receive about 75% of the monies.