PDA

View Full Version : Anyone looking for a 4 legged friend?

1_slo_92
02-02-2017, 12:36 PM
Unfortunately due to our local officials in our area (Wilmington) dragging their feet and loosing the Amazon deal my family will be relocating fairly soon and will not be able to take our big baby with us.

She is a 3 year old full blooded boxer without papers (never planned on breeding and didnt care to Persue any)
She's fixed and a huge baby, great with people but needs work with other dogs (was attacked 2 years ago and still isn't very social around other dogs but I believe that can change with time and effort)
She is a big girl and loves to eat, you must keep a steady supply of toys around to chew up or your children's toys will suffer the consequences.

Overall she's a good dog, she's lazy but energetic when she wants to play. She is housebroken but I would expect a new home may have some hiccups due to a change in her environment, doesn't jump the fence any longer and if she does escape (open gates) will listen to commands to get back where she belongs.

If anyone would like more info or think you may be a fit for her please let me know asap.

redfirepearlgt
02-02-2017, 02:46 PM
Wish we could help you but we adopted a Boxer from a rescue in July and she is just beginning to settle in. Sorry. You know my soft spot for Boxers. Could you look into fostering her out until you get established and then take her back? Rescue's may have fosters willing to do that so she can eventually be reunited with family.

1_slo_92
02-02-2017, 05:43 PM
What we're looking at is going back to renting for 2 years until we establish a "steady work" record. Unfortunately everywhere we've looked that is a good home for us doesn't allow pets her size (last vet appointment she weighed in at 93) so I don't think that will be a good option.

2Fast4You
02-02-2017, 07:58 PM
We may be interested, is she able to stay in a yard without a fence?

1_slo_92
02-02-2017, 08:55 PM
I trained her a year ago with a shock collar and can leave gates open for the most part. It would be just working with her on the boundaries. I bought the large dog collar from tsc and used it for a week and she was good to go. She still remembers the high pitched noise the collar makes and will stop in her tracks if she hears something similar to it. I only had to actually zap her a hand full of times and it was all tone for the rest of the week. I know alot of people will think I'm a a** for using it but it was our last resort and it worked with minimal usage so i was pleased with it.

1_slo_92
02-02-2017, 09:01 PM
If you want to talk more about it feel free to text me (work schedule sucks and my sleep schedule is worse) and I can send pics and give you a little more info 937-527-8153

redfirepearlgt
02-02-2017, 11:43 PM
I trained her a year ago with a shock collar and can leave gates open for the most part. It would be just working with her on the boundaries. I bought the large dog collar from tsc and used it for a week and she was good to go. She still remembers the high pitched noise the collar makes and will stop in her tracks if she hears something similar to it. I only had to actually zap her a hand full of times and it was all tone for the rest of the week. I know alot of people will think I'm a a** for using it but it was our last resort and it worked with minimal usage so i was pleased with it.

I support that concept. My wife on the other hand...well she has some extremist views when it comes to animals these days. I don't consider shock collars inhumane as long as they are properly used and as a last resort. After all the same concept is used on invisible fences.

1_slo_92
02-03-2017, 12:52 AM
I kept it to a minimum and used my voice to show my disapproval when she would go towards the fence (before she would jump it all day long and run the neighborhood) and she caught on pretty quick. It only made her help once and that was my fault (accidentally hit the boost button) and every other time she just stopped and looked like it was a discomfort. Mainly she would just walk back to the house and sit down looking dumbfounded as to what just happened.

draggin50
02-03-2017, 02:44 AM
Sucks to hear man! I know the whole Amazon deal was a shock to most of us. Im lucky to be in the Hangar and our jobs aren't affected, yet...

I still have 2 boxers and no room to take on more. I know if the wife reads this, She will find a way! They are like our kids, only listen better!

1_slo_92
02-03-2017, 04:50 AM
That Amazon deal was critical around here. We finally had hope on property value coming back and money flowing in the area but unfortunately it got tanked and it's time for us to move on from this town. If we wait 4 more years with how it's been going we will be upside down on our mortgage and the drugs/crime only seem to be on the rise here along with taxes are up while the local economy is in the dumps.

draggin50
02-03-2017, 12:26 PM
I know what ya mean! My oldest boys mom lived there in Wilmington and she died of an overdose last Saturday. Just had another good friend die yesterday of it. Its getting bad!

1_slo_92
02-03-2017, 02:32 PM
My ex luckily cleaned up and moved away but not before ragging my boy through the dirt before I could get custody of him.

NXcoupe
02-04-2017, 09:21 AM
My ex luckily cleaned up and moved away but not before ragging my boy through the dirt before I could get custody of him.

Glad you got him. Congrats. Sorry about your dog.

1_slo_92
02-28-2017, 01:15 PM
Bump I'm still looking for a good home for her.

2Fast4You
02-28-2017, 04:04 PM
How is she with other animals and people?

1_slo_92
02-28-2017, 04:49 PM
People she's very good with. She trys to act all big and bad with strangers but that fades quickly once you acknowledge them. Other dogs she gets tense with and is very vocal against them ( I believe this can be changed but I haven't had the opportunity to introduce any other dogs to her on a regular basis to help with the anxiety of that one attack) and she likes to chase birds in the yard. Cats she's never bothered outside of trying to play with them. And she loves chasing rabbits and squirrels also but hasn't caught one yet so I'm not sure what she would do. Skunks are her kryptonite and she despises them after she was sprayed last spring lol

Goldenpony
02-28-2017, 07:48 PM
Sorry. We did the dog thing for many years and now we're cat people. Hope you do find a good home for your friend.