Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a new price for the impatiant

a new price for the impatiant

rule #1 don't rush the painter!i seam to cut some people slack on pricing but it's becoming a problem/for the price i had charged you may think they would take it in to consideration not to hound the hell out of you in there own little ways.it's funny how there just project cars that have been sitting around but the day they get brought to me they gotta get it right back so they can sit around for another year while being finished.and there's the one who likes to make up his own price on how much i charge them to do there car not! don't get me wrong i really don't mind painting cars the work i enjoy for the most part like to see them done all purdy.i guess if you want quick service you will have to pay the BIG $$ most shop owners i know won't even paint an allover but if they do i know they start at around $2,000 and can climp high as $10,000 . and can have the car for up to a year before completion i know if i drop of an engine to be built, i don't expect to see it back for a month or so and thats just a engine build.an all over paint job (done correctly) is a whole lot more work.and the price of materials is just so damn high you can spend up to $500 in just materials to paint a car .just venting hoping to school a few people who are new to the paint job thang.and letting you know the inside scoupe of whats involved...........mark this isn't about you see ya sunday
    Plan b is to finish plan a

Yeah dude i hear ya....why do you think i haven't hounded you about painting my heap? I wouldn't want to insult you with a lowball price because i honestly don't know what it SHOULD cost ya know? Plus, i see where you're coming from and i agree, but i can also see that people know you do some sick paint jobs and they're probably just excited to see what you can do! Eventually once my car comes along to the point where i feel like i've spent enough to make it go faster (which is a long road ahead..lol) i'll be knockin on your door for sure, and i promise i won't hound ya
    -EVIL SSP-
    '85 Kentucky State Highway Patrol SSP Coupe

362hp/364ft-lbs Tuned by Cincy Speed
    http://www.cincyspeed.com/
    Walk around/exhaust clip
    The Stang
    The CVPI

-David

I guess some people don't realize things unless they are forced to do them. I think thats the only way they can appreciate the work being done and all the time and effort being put forth to their car.

Quote Originally Posted by platedturbonotc View Post
    the price of materials is just so damn high you can spend up to $500 in just materials to paint a car
    I paid very close to just that much for the clear! That doesn't include the primer, paint, tape, sandpaper, etc. Hell I'm shelling out $100 just for materials for wetsanding and buffing! People just do not understand how much work goes into paint and body.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

i don't mean to come off as a dick.but i'm trying to build a reputation not ruin one i'm not on the overhaul team,it's just me doing the work not a flock of people on rotating shifts that show makes us look bad sometimes with sponsers suppling everything.i like to do this for fun but when it becomes to feel like a job i'll have to pull out the estimate pad then the price goes up.try going to a bodyshop and have them sit down to a computer and give you an estimate you may be surprised what this stuff really cost$.

When ya gonna give me a price on mine?Im thinking I could have it done this year maybbe.
    I love F bodies!!

$500 dollars for materials - thats on a GOOD day! I have bought paint at over $250 a gallon - thats just the paint, not the tape, thinner, primer, clearcoat, sanding paper, etc.

Chris - as long as you are fair with people you will always have business (you certainly have the talent). If someone doesn't like your schedule or pricing, thye have the choice to go somewhere else, and you always have the option to say no you can't do it.
    I can "Visualize Whirrled Peas" - thanks for the ride Vinny, it was much too short!

-- Dave
    Resident Philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by Black Horse View Post
    $500 dollars for materials - thats on a GOOD day! I have bought paint at over $250 a gallon - thats just the paint, not the tape, thinner, primer, clearcoat, sanding paper, etc.

Chris - as long as you are fair with people you will always have business (you certainly have the talent). If someone doesn't like your schedule or pricing, thye have the choice to go somewhere else, and you always have the option to say no you can't do it.
    Shawn

Chris the bad part is most people have absolutly no idea what it takes to paint a car the right way. If its shiny when its done there happy. I like to do side work but I wont do it half ass, if you dont want to pay the price then I'm sorry someone else can do it. Material cost are outragous, I paid $460 just for the basecoat on my car, almost $1300 in all and I'm sure I forgot some of it. The last estimate I gave the materials were just under $1200. I dont think anything will ever change, at work everyone wants to be first they dont care about who's car was there before theres just get mine done. I say Fuck it and dont let it bother me anymore. To many sleepless nights, I got better things to worry about. PS Hulks car looks badass.

after some research on mitchells estimating systems wich about 99% of the shops use you would have up to $375-$450 per panel to paint ,times that by every panel add on material you can $4,500 really fast,oh thats just paint time,add body dent work labor to that wich roughly can be $75 for a dime size dent times oh say 12 dings in the whole car.this is all rough idea pricing give or take a couple hundred

i think the shows like overhaulin are part of your problem. guys see it done on tv, but they dont get to see the whole process, so they think one guy can "git 'er done jus like on the tv!!"
    Scotty Mac

Thats a good point, never rush the paint guy!! I cant wait to get mine done and you can bet that there will be no rush on it at all!! You just keep thinking about what we can do to it, to make it look like its going 8's while sitting still!! Keep up the good work Chris!! And for those who rush people f*#koff!!

The Bad Boy!

The other problem (with people's perception) is they see the Maaco adds for the magical $300 paint job. (I remeber the days of the Earl Schibe $65 paint job - you just had to use whatever color they had in that 55 gallon drum and be aware they would paint over anything (rust, marker lights, side moulding, etc.)

The body shop estimators also include the maximum amounts allowable by the insurance companies, without regard for how much it actually costs to fix/paint. Sometimes you make money on one portion of a repair, and lose on another - most shops hope that they can balance it out (as well as takeing a few liberties) to make the most from the insurance dollar.
    I can "Visualize Whirrled Peas" - thanks for the ride Vinny, it was much too short!

-- Dave
    Resident Philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by orangedemon331 View Post
    Thats a good point, never rush the paint guy!! I cant wait to get mine done and you can bet that there will be no rush on it at all!! You just keep thinking about what we can do to it, to make it look like its going 8's while sitting still!! Keep up the good work Chris!! And for those who rush people f*#koff!!
    yours will be another one i'll like and enjoy doing. you said hot pink with yellow scallops right?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Horse View Post
    The other problem (with people's perception) is they see the Maaco adds for the magical $300 paint job. (I remeber the days of the Earl Schibe $65 paint job - you just had to use whatever color they had in that 55 gallon drum and be aware they would paint over anything (rust, marker lights, side moulding, etc.)

The body shop estimators also include the maximum amounts allowable by the insurance companies, without regard for how much it actually costs to fix/paint. Sometimes you make money on one portion of a repair, and lose on another - most shops hope that they can balance it out (as well as takeing a few liberties) to make the most from the insurance dollar.
    it won't be long the insurace companys will own all the shops and control it all,they allready are starting to,it's called drp direct repair facility you have to be up to par for what there asking out of you,if you don't run your buissness there way they take you off there list,and the shop will starve from work and eventually go out of buisnness .macco don't even go there.or pressure wash it

yours will be another one i'll like and enjoy doing. you said hot pink with yellow scallops right?
    Hey that works for me, its hard to make fun of something that is that fast anyway!!!

The Bad Boy!

Hey that works for me, its hard to make fun of something that is that fast anyway!!!
    u got a point there no when ever your ready lmk,can i make an 8sec pass just once ,free touch up for as long as you own it

u got a point there no when ever your ready lmk,can i make an 8sec pass just once ,free touch up for as long as you own it
    Your more than welcome to , but you will have to get in line with Craig and Rob!! Someone might have to show me how to drive it!!!

The Bad Boy!

Chris your work is amazing. I hope in the future for you to do some work on my car. As long as its done th enext day! j/k I envy you, I wish I had the skill and attention to detail to paint the way you do. Your car looked great at the Calvalcade. jeez I sound like a stalker.
    2006 Mustang GT "Shirley" sold 11.37
    2011 Mustang GT "Ashley" Bone stock?

Your more than welcome to , but you will have to get in line with Craig and Rob!! Someone might have to show me how to drive it!!!
    LOL....

Thread Information