Thread: replacing pilot bearing

replacing pilot bearing

I have a 89 LX 302 I need to replace my pilot bearing along with my clutch. I have never replaced a pilot bearing before. Is there anything I need to have or know before I tackle this? Also I will be doing this with the motor in the car and on jackstands.
    911 - Government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer
    If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words

https://youtu.be/apTCdfr0bn4

347, AFM N-91 cam,TFS FAC 190's, Quick Fuel 750 carb, Parker Funnel, 4.30 and E-85
    2011 UMTR Street Stick Points Champion
    2012 UMTR Quick Stick 4th Place(Points)
    2013 UMTR Quick Stick 2nd Place (Points)
    2014 UMTR Quick Stick 2nd Place (points)

they make a tool you can rent form auto zone that you attch to a slide hammer and it works good at getting the pilot bearing out. you want to put the pilot bearing in the frezer for about 2 hours before you are ready to use it and it will make it alot easier to put in and thats all there is to putting in a new pilot bearing
    1990 mustang lx convertible 5.0 almost all stock, best time so far 14.796 @ 93.48 new motor and trans coming this winter i hope

O.K. thanks. Another question I have is do I need to get my flywheel turned before I install this new clutch I bought? I just had it turned about 3000 miles ago before I dropped the motor back in the car. I know I should have replaced the clutch then. But I didn't think then I was going to go out and try to do a big 2nd gear burnout with a 320LB passenger with me. There was more smoke coming off the clutch than there was the tires. So needless to say with the abuse the clutch received before I owned the car and the abuse I have put it thru its about history.

347, AFM N-91 cam,TFS FAC 190's, Quick Fuel 750 carb, Parker Funnel, 4.30 and E-85

i would atleast clean it off with some sand paper or a right angle grinder with a disc to get all the glasing off of the surface if the flywheel and make sure you clean it will brake parts cleaner before you install the clutch and let it dry to make sure there is no dirt or anything on the flywheel
    1990 mustang lx convertible 5.0 almost all stock, best time so far 14.796 @ 93.48 new motor and trans coming this winter i hope

Get it turned at a machine shop... it isn't that expensive and it will save a ton more headaches and cash on the future if something is wrong with it.
    Brandon Robertson

Well I went and rented some piece of crap puller from Advance auto and the damn thing did nothing but continue to slip off and chew up the bearing cage where all the bearings are(were). They are all on the ground now. I stuck my finger min there and there is not much of a lip at all for the jaws on this puller to catch onto. So any ideas on what to do now?

Last resort use a small chisel and take small bites until you can pry it out. Be extra CAREFUL not to destroy the back of the crank.
    2005 F350 6.0 Powerstroke 8" lift 37's
    1987 Notch (4cyl conversion)
    1993 Mustang GT
    1996 Jeep Cherokee 3" Lift (converted to mud toy)
    1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    2003 F150 Supercrew FX4

I believe you can shove grease in there and find something to fit in the middle of the pilot bearing and force it out that way? Anyone care to chime in on that?
    Brandon Robertson

Yeah if you can find something the same size as the input shaft in the trans. Obviously it has to be long enough to hold and hit with a hammer.
    2005 F350 6.0 Powerstroke 8" lift 37's
    1987 Notch (4cyl conversion)
    1993 Mustang GT
    1996 Jeep Cherokee 3" Lift (converted to mud toy)
    1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    2003 F150 Supercrew FX4

Now that you have destroyed the old bearing - take a very small chisel or screwdriver and bend up the old outer race until you can grab it with pliers or diagonal cutters and pull it the rest of the way out.
    I can "Visualize Whirrled Peas" - thanks for the ride Vinny, it was much too short!

-- Dave
    Resident Philosopher

I pack the hole with grease, put a bolt that is close to the size of the input shaft on the tranny. I found one in a spare bolt box i have, Dont know what size it is. tap it with a hammer and it hydraulics the old one right out. Quick and easy.
    Xtreme Outlaw Series
    S&M Motorsports llc
    Precision Turbo
    Performance Torque Converters
    Leash Electronics

I made an aluminum driver to pack the hole with grease and drive the thing out, works great. The slide hammer tools work but they can be a pita, I have one and I prefer the driver.
    Alan

I ended up using a slide hammer and waas able to get it out. I appreciate all the help guys.

Thread Information