Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman Jacks

Angry Craftsman Jacks

I can't even begin to tell you how pissed I am right now.

I was already dreading pulling my trans out tonight, and I go out to the garage right after I get off work and start to jack the car up. That was the point where I realized that the car wasn't lifting at all. WTF?

I pull the jack out, pump it up a few times, stand on it with my massive 210lb body weight, and what do you know the jack starts to fall..

Did I mention I haven't even had this jack for TWO MONTHS!!!!

So now I have two non-working jacks sitting in my garage. I'm going to try and shoot some jack hydrualic fluid in it tomorrow, and see if I can get it working again. Still, there is no way in hell I should have to do this after two months, and MAYBE used it 5 times.

CRAFTSMAN JACKS AREN'T WORTH A HAIR ON MY DODUS!!!!
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Take it back sears, We have two of the yellow and black 3 ton jacks and havent had any problems with them. One i have had for 4 years or better and i have used the hell out of it.
    Brian

92Coupe

A guy on the AZ Mustangs board just posted about this EXACT same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 92coupe View Post
    Take it back sears, We have two of the yellow and black 3 ton jacks and havent had any problems with them. One i have had for 4 years or better and i have used the hell out of it.
    I have the most expensive yellow and black one also sitting in my garage taking up a bunch of space, because it too, is a worthless piece of crap.

I tried to take it back, and I cannot find my receipt anywhere. I went in and asked for the manager and he told my I can't validate my 1 year warranty without a receipt.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

I have a yellow and black 4 ton jack that I got for Christmas 06. I don't use it everyday, but its used every week or so. The tag onb the jack when I got it said that it might need to purge some air from the oil because of something during shipping. It took many times of use before the air got out of it. It works great now...

I'm sure there is something on Craftmans site or elsewhere that will tell you how to purge it.

Craig
    2005 Ford Mustang GT 5MT
    2009 UMTR SS #7

Foxxx5oh is offline ˙˙˙pןɹoʍ ǝןʇʇıן uʍo ʎɯ uı
    ^^ i had to do that to my cheap ass 2 ton pep boys special...if i can find the instructions ill post em up, it cant be too far off from yours...
    ʎpuɐ sı ǝɯɐu ʎɯ

1992 K1500 Suburban, not quite stock. -- 1996 GT Vert, mostly stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 85_SS_302_Coupe View Post
    Some of us are confined by the boundaries of such things as common sense, logic, pride and even peer pressure and political correctness. This guy is clearly much less confined than i am.

did sears warranty out the last one that broke?
    i hope they didnt make you pay for another pos jack.
    as i said in the other thread, buy a good one, and never look back!
    Scotty Mac

Quote Originally Posted by craigels View Post
    I have a yellow and black 4 ton jack that I got for Christmas 06. I don't use it everyday, but its used every week or so. The tag onb the jack when I got it said that it might need to purge some air from the oil because of something during shipping. It took many times of use before the air got out of it. It works great now...

I'm sure there is something on Craftmans site or elsewhere that will tell you how to purge it.

Craig
    I'm not sure if it needs purged, or if it needs jack hydraulic fluid added. I remember after the very first time I used it, I saw a little puddle of fluid coming out of the back of the jack. I should have taken it back right then and there....
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

i have one of the sears aluminum jacks...use it at least a few times a week since 04-05...works fine!

I'm also comparing my jack to my dads snap on jack. That thing has been perfect since day one. And once the face of the jack makes contact, it still lifts just like if there were no load on it unlike the craftsman, where it shoots up really fast, then takes forever once it gets a load on it.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

I have a really nice aluminum jack I got from Costco for $100 that I had a similar problem with. It was really hard to lift, and wouldn't stay up. I read the instructions, and followed the steps to purge the air from the oil, and it's worked flawlessly since. Just required that I purchase some jack oil from sears. It's the only jack I've bought that I can get under the k-member without jacking the side of the car up first.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul408Notch View Post
    I have a really nice aluminum jack I got from Costco for $100 that I had a similar problem with. It was really hard to lift, and wouldn't stay up. I read the instructions, and followed the steps to purge the air from the oil, and it's worked flawlessly since. Just required that I purchase some jack oil from sears. It's the only jack I've bought that I can get under the k-member without jacking the side of the car up first.
    I still have my manual, so I'll take a look at it tomorrow. I'll agree with you though, I do love how slim the jack is, I can even get it underneath my g/f's civic thats slammed on its nuts.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

I think the procedure for mine was to lift it to the top, pump 3-5 more pumps, lower it to the ground, slowly open the fill hole, put oil in til it's full, close the plug, and repeat until it can't take anymore oil.

This is why I just bought the 3 ton jack from Harbor Freight. Only $60 and it should do the job for amount of use that I put it through.

I've had two smaller CHEAP jacks that have done me fine for the past 4 or 5 years without any problem.

I love my Craftsman Pro series jack, had it since 04 and it just now is starting act up on me. I can complain, I lift more than what its rated for anyway...
    Paul, are those the instructions? Cause I think I need to top mine off too.
    ~Carl

I got one of those "roush racing" jacks for xmas...hybrid..? half aluminum and half steel...and it worked half the time and the last time i used it, i jacked my car up and it would not release(lower)....tried everything...jacked the car up even more and still would not release to lower the car back down....had to borrow my neighbors jack to get my jack out from under the car...lol now its sits in the corner...looks cool though.

My girlfriend is awesome, she called today and chewed the manager a new one. They're gonna exchange it
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0calypso93lx View Post
    My girlfriend is awesome, she called today and chewed the manager a new one. They're gonna exchange it
    cool

Quote Originally Posted by usafstang View Post
    I love my Craftsman Pro series jack, had it since 04 and it just now is starting act up on me. I can complain, I lift more than what its rated for anyway...
    Paul, are those the instructions? Cause I think I need to top mine off too.
    Pretty sure that's how they said to do it. It's already 104 degrees out right now, so I don't plan on going out ot the garage to look for the instructions.

are you buying the cheap little jacks or are they the big jacks craftsman makes i am looking at buying one soon so i can get my car higher
    1990 mustang lx convertible 5.0 almost all stock, best time so far 14.796 @ 93.48 new motor and trans coming this winter i hope

Thread Information