Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 LX Convert. 3.8 to 5.?

85 LX Convert. 3.8 to 5.?

Hello All !! I finally figured out the pic thing, So I can get some on here to show my progress.. I'm still undecided on what motor combo, but I know it's going to have a built AOD, So this will allow me a decent gear with decent milage on the freeway. As you can see by the pics, so far I've managed to get the old 3.8/c-5 out of it, And later today will start the power washing, and getting rid of unused wiring.. I'll try to keep up on posting progress.. And a big THANKS to everyone who gave advice in leading me in the right direction.

looking good....
    Ryan Grove

07 Jetta Wolfsburg edition 2.5
    04 Explorer xlt

Wtb fox coupe or hatch roller for ls swap.

" if one more bolt breaks I'm going to start welding parts on "

Just an update... Took the motor to the shop to be built, still unsure what exactly is being done, I do know that it's going .030 over, and some major head work, But still undecided on the cam, intake, carb and such. I'll keep posting as I make progress!!!

Looks like you have a nice vert for the swap!

Looks good
    Brian

92Coupe

Just Bored!!!!!!

I'm chomping at the bit waiting for the engine build to be done, so I'm trying to keep myself occupied with little tasks, did some trim painting (that needed done)... I think it turned out good, That black trim on the 4eyes really sets it off( in my opinion anyway).. will update again when I'm bored LOL

Talking Still Bored

I'm still chomping at the bit, Motor should be done this week.. So for now it's the little things, I found a set of ten holes, which is what I have been searching for ( call me old school, but I think they are the best looking factory rim) any way they were a little rough, so I got carried away and stripped all the clearcoat and did a polish job on them. it only took about 4 hours to do one wheel, so by the time the motor is ready I should have them all done. so heres a before and after shot....Hope you like em!

before
    \

after

Looking good!
    2008 ZO6 Corvette

MGW Short Throw Shifter, Hallteck killer Bee II CIA, 2” Primary StainlessWorks Long tube headers and X pipe, Billy Boat Fusion Exhaust, TR6 NGK plugs, LG G7-X4 cam, bronze guides, Titanium ultra-light retainers, Ferrea Stainless Steel Exhaust Valves, LG High lift valve springs, C5-R timing chain, .040 Decked heads, COMP Cams LS rocker arm trunnion kit, McLeod RXT Street clutch, McLeod flywheel, Hawk performance ceramic pads and a S&M Motorsports Dyno Tune.

Been a while since I've updated this, So I'll try to make it short LOL
    Got the motor finished, went .040 over, f cam, ported e-7's, Performer RPM intake. This will be backed by an AOD with a 2800 stall, and 4.10's.
    Had new tires mounted, BFG's 275/60/15's out back and 215/65/15's on the nose ( gives a good fat skinny look IMO) on polished 10 holes. Motor and tranny installed, justa few odds and ends ( carb, tranny lines and cooler mounted, all the little stuff LOL) and she'll be ready for the shows and the track
    A big shout out to Rich and Mike Bell for parts and tons of guidance
    Enough rambling, here's some pics

Aaron

F**K Photobucket !!!

I noticed some of my earlier pics were deleted, So for the ones who haven't seen the car here are a few!!!

Aaron

F**K Photobucket !!!

nice...get it runnin!
    Ryan Grove

07 Jetta Wolfsburg edition 2.5
    04 Explorer xlt

Wtb fox coupe or hatch roller for ls swap.

" if one more bolt breaks I'm going to start welding parts on "

I could be wrong, But i dont think your gonna get that to run carbed with an efi dist.
    Brian

92Coupe

I could be wrong, But i dont think your gonna get that to run carbed with an efi dist.
    It can be wired up to run, but there will be no advance, so it definately isn't the best choice. The easiest thing to do is get one for an 85 mustang, then you have a duraspark with a steel gear. You can get one for about $50 at Oreilly's.
    1986 Mustang, 306, AFR185s, RPM intake, XE 274, Vortech S Trim, AOD
    10.56@125.5
    2001 GT 13.30@101
    1993 Coupe 13.04@103.6

Quote Originally Posted by JonS View Post
    It can be wired up to run, but there will be no advance, so it definately isn't the best choice. The easiest thing to do is get one for an 85 mustang, then you have a duraspark with a steel gear. You can get one for about $50 at Oreilly's.

nail on the head

Quote Originally Posted by JonS View Post
    The Dizzy is out of an 85 GT. I'm a little confused as to why your saying it won't work??
    If someone could fill me in I would appreciate it
    Aaron

F**K Photobucket !!!

That is a TFI distributor, like one that would work with an EFI engine. The one you need has a pigtail coming out of the housing with a round plug instead of the big plug on the housing. The TFI style like you have has the advance controlled by the computer. It is possible to wire it to run , but timing will remain static(not good). BTW that is not out of an 85, truly your best option is to go buy a reman for an 85 mustang, you will also need to get a duraspark box and wiring or just buy an aftermarket ignition box. Hope that helps.
    10.56@125.5
    2001 GT 13.30@101
    1993 Coupe 13.04@103.6

Here's a link for an 85 gt carbed dizzy, and it is no different from mine, like I said I could be wrong and you say that the one on my motor is not off an 85 but it is identical to the one here..
    http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=218&PTSet=A
    Aaron

F**K Photobucket !!!

10.56@125.5
    2001 GT 13.30@101
    1993 Coupe 13.04@103.6

Quote Originally Posted by k062693w View Post
    Here's a link for an 85 gt carbed dizzy, and it is no different from mine, like I said I could be wrong and you say that the one on my motor is not off an 85 but it is identical to the one here..
    http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=218&PTSet=A
    In 85 the auto's were CFI and the manuals were carbed this is a CFI Dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by jk5.0 View Post
    In 85 the auto's were CFI and the manuals were carbed this is a CFI Dizzy.
    My car is Auto, So will the one I have work??
    Aaron

F**K Photobucket !!!

Those have to be the best looking 10 holes I've ever soon! Good job !
    Rick

Rick90lx@yahoo-dot-com
    6.27625 liters of turbocharged goodness

Thread Information