Thread: Timing Chain

Timing Chain

Was wondering if you guys think I should replace the timing chain in my car. Currently have the motor out doing a couple things to it. Timing chain was replaced 2 years ago when I did the motor swap. Also same thing with the oil pump, are these good things to change even though not that old?

Thanks,

Brandon
    Brandon Robertson

Go get you a rollmaster.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

I only wanna if I need one.
    Brandon Robertson

A quality chain and oil pump should last quite a while. No one can tell you when a timing chain or oil pump is going to fail. If it was mine I would spend the money on other speed parts.
    I wish my lawn was Emo so it would cut itself...

I'm sort of anal about oil pumps because they're so important and relatively inexpensive. I personally would change it, but I highly doubt it needs replaced. If you used a good quality timing chain and it doesn't have excessive slack, just reuse it. A note about the rollmaster timing chains, according to Ed Curtis, there's a company out there selling knockoffs that are quite a bit cheaper than the true Rollmaster. Something to consider. There's some threads about it over on Hardcore50 if I'm not mistaken.
    Rick

Rick90lx@yahoo-dot-com
    6.27625 liters of turbocharged goodness

Quote Originally Posted by Rick88coupe View Post
    I'm sort of anal about oil pumps because they're so important and relatively inexpensive. I personally would change it, but I highly doubt it needs replaced. If you used a good quality timing chain and it doesn't have excessive slack, just reuse it. A note about the rollmaster timing chains, according to Ed Curtis, there's a company out there selling knockoffs that are quite a bit cheaper than the true Rollmaster. Something to consider. There's some threads about it over on Hardcore50 if I'm not mistaken.
    I planned on getting mine from Ed. Everything else from Craig.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

I wouldn't bother with the timing chain. I would expect the wear to be minimal unless it was cheap junk when you bought it. I wouldn't mess with the oil pump either. If the one that is in it was good it will be fine. It seems that most oil pump failures are from them sucking up something and locking up, which is gonna happen if it is new or old.
    1986 Mustang, 306, AFR185s, RPM intake, XE 274, Vortech S Trim, AOD
    10.56@125.5
    2001 GT 13.30@101
    1993 Coupe 13.04@103.6

Thanks guys, think I am not gonna worry about it this time around.
    Brandon Robertson

Thread Information